Best souvenir to buy in Roatan

elpasomom

Well, I am a shopper ! and been to Roatan 3 times now.

My two favorites are 1) the wooden bowls, vases etc that are done with the beautiful woods of Honduras. They are actually made on the mainland not Roatan. They come in all shapes, sizes and prices so there is one for everyone :) 2) the tapestry type of items you will find in most stores. They have large purses, small ones (perfect for carrying sea pass and small items around on the ship) and last trip I bought a beautiful table runner. Very large and very colorful with fish embroidered all down it. They have many different designs so again, something for everyone.

My favorite store is Evelyns in West End Village. There are lots of other interesting stores and art galleries in West End Village also. My favorite place to shop.

If you are doing a private tour - they can also take you to a store in Coxen Hole that is closer to the ports. I am sure they all have their "favorites" meaning they get a "piece of the pie" from any sales they bring in.

There are other items here too..... seashell cameos (overpriced imo) black clay items (also from the mainland) shell jewelry. And of course there are the mandatory t-shirts :D

This is one of the best maps I have found that shows where the major stuff is.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.roatansunsplashtours.com/attachments/Image/Roatan-Island-Tourist-Map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.roatansunsplashtours.com/roatan-mangrove-tour-eco-friendly-day-tour.php&h=746&w=1512&sz=821&tbnid=s0OxL5YY3eNIlM:&tbnh=62&tbnw=125&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmahogany%2Bbay%2Bisla%2Broatan%2Bmap%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=mahogany+bay+isla+roatan+map&usg=__6jX85k97umLIZ4V4Ilt1DKizeho=&docid=1dEvNR9OO6bfDM&sa=X&ei=lAUMUYbfH479qAHikYHwCQ&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAQ&dur=36

By taxi it should take about 30-35 minutes.

Once there you can also take a water taxi ($3.00 per person) to West Bay beach......gorgeous area - white sand, turquoise water and great reefs for snorkeling right off the beach.

Mahogany Bay is a man-made beach and tourist area that Carnival built for their cruisers. It truly will not give you a feel for this beautiful island and all it has to offer if you just stay there for the day as many cruisers do. Oh well, to each his own.

We are sitting having coffee right now at Infinity Bay, our last full day. :( Totally agree that mahagony pieces are beautiful. Shop and compare. Lots of styles, wood designs and colors. I picked up a little tapestry cross over bag for my camera and sunglasses while walking the beach. Found one for ten dollars. They go up $$ in size. The West Bay Beach area has a few vendors and agree on the shop mentioned in West End. Didn't make it to Coxen Hole...weather too beautiful to leave the beach this last 8 days. I think we are seeing the break of the rainy season as it has been fabulous weather as opposed to those here earlier this month.

Most stuff is made on the mainland.

so jealous !!!!!!!!!

:)Spent three hours in the water snorkeling today...a last hour kayaking...and getting ready now for margaritas at Bananarama. The best ones we've found around here. Okay that's my hint to the cruisers!! Better keep this thread helpful. :D

• 6 months later...

And don't forget the fresh roasted Honduran coffee. There's kiosks in MBCC and Coxen Hole pier shopping areas. It's a bit expensive but cheaper than in a couple of West Bay/West End places, like Casa de Paradise over by Henry Morgans. If you get up to French Harbor or go to downtown Coxen Hole, the local grocery store (Eldons) sells similar local (mainland) coffee at lower prices. I believe the brand is Cafe Buenas Diaz, but there are others too.

:)Spent three hours in the water snorkeling today...a last hour kayaking...and getting ready now for margaritas at Bananarama. The best ones we've found around here. Okay that's my hint to the cruisers!! Better keep this thread helpful. :D

Thanks for the margarita suggestion. We'll be at Banarama next month with Victor Boden. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the margarita suggestion. We'll be at Banarama next month with Victor Boden. Any other suggestions?

We found the drinks at Bananarama to be good !!!! But the food was only so-so. The best thing I had there was the taco salad. We ate there quite a few times (over 2 trips to Roatan - 1 week each) But, we always found the food at the Palapa bar at Infinity Bay (right down the beach) to be awesome. My son couldn't get enough lobster nachos !!! The resort is a closed resort but they will let you on the property to eat at the palapa bar restaurant which is just inside the white picket fence. Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived