Is September a bad time?

dadof2boys

I have sailed the last 2 yrs at the end of Sept/early Oct. No problems either time. We are currently booked on the Magic for Sept 8. The itinerary may be changed due to weather but hey, I am still NOT AT WORK!!! I will enjoy the cruise no matter what happens.

I have cruised once in September and several times in October and had no trouble. With my September cruise two years ago, which was an exotic Wester Caribbean itinerary we were told on boarding that the itinerary would be changed to the Eastern itinerary which was also a great one, and this was due to a Tropical storm, but just before sailaway, the announcement was made that the weather had greatly improved and the storm had fizzled so we were back to our original route.

So, I think that anytime you cruise from August through end of October you may, just may have your cruise itinerary changed or miss a port, and sometimes you may encounter rain and some higher seas, but it is very very rare to have a cruise cancelled.

Also September has some really nice rates for cruises which is why I choose that time of year. I would still fly in at least a day before the cruise though, and I would do especially if you are looking at 5hrs or so of flights, and things do happen to delay the airlines regardless of weather.

So, if you go with the mindset that your itinerary may change, or you may miss a port of call, then all should be fine. And more often than not, the cruise will go off without a hitch.

Good luck, and I wish you a lovely cruise.:)

Alright, we just booked the Magic for Septmeber 22 on Monday. We did our first Caribbean cruise (after years doing the West Coast) in December. Well, I don't think we can go back to cruising out of CA. Anyhow, that week in September worked out well with work and such so I just got excited and booked it. Over here in San Diego September's a great time of year. I didn't even think about hurricane season. Anyhow, now I'm considering paying the $50 pp change fee and choosing a different month.

Any thoughts?

I did buy insurance in case of flight delays.

We've been cruising since the mid-nineties from East Coast ports either to Bermuda, or the Caribbean. All but two cruises were in September. We always had great weather, smooth sailing and the price was right. There was one occasion when we had to skip a port and went to Charleston instead. I think it was in 2004 or 2006. Anyway, we did that to sail ahead of a hurricane, and even then we didn't feel any effects. It was still smooth sailing.

You always have to be prepared for changes due to weather no matter what time of year you book.

With that said, my first cruise was in September and we had beautiful weather, a little rain a couple of mornings at port but it cleared within a couple of hours.

My second cruise was in October and when we docked in Cozumel, Hurricane Rina was pushing up the Yuccan from the south. Several excursions had been canceled because Cozumel was preparing for the hurricane. We had a little bit of a bumpy ride out of Cozumel but we still had a great day in port and a great cruise.

Third cruise was September and departure day was raining in Miami but we had great weather after that.

Next cruise is in September :)

We have sailed twice in September. The last time was on the Liberty, 9/22/12. As Cyn7 stated, the weather in Miami was dreary but the cruise weather was great. If the weather is an issue during the cruise, you may go to a different port. Embrace the adventure and buy travel insurance. You are going to have alot of fun.

:)

I cruised in October (i know, different month) and missed a hurricane by a matter of 2 days.

during hurricane season, you can book great last minute deals for cruises. sometimes you can find great airfare too. so if i'm going during that time i will only book last minute-or a month out at most.

Alright, we just booked the Magic for Septmeber 22 on Monday. We did our first Caribbean cruise (after years doing the West Coast) in December. Well, I don't think we can go back to cruising out of CA. Anyhow, that week in September worked out well with work and such so I just got excited and booked it. Over here in San Diego September's a great time of year. I didn't even think about hurricane season. Anyhow, now I'm considering paying the $50 pp change fee and choosing a different month.

Any thoughts?

They are good about steering around storms. Your ports may change. We have never had a problem in Sept. Caribbean is a whole lot better than going out of California.

That doesn't hold water because prices in August are way more than Oct and have similar hurricane frequencies.

It depends on peak cruising times. When families are off work / school, the cost will be more. When school is in, cost will be less

Of course demand affects prices and although August is also a huricane month, because of issues you mentioned, folks will chance it. We encountered 'Sandy" last fall and didn't expect NYC to be hit by a monster storm, especially that late in the season, but you never know.

We only cruise in September and fortunately have only had our itinerary altered once, but it worked out cause we got to go to Roatan, which was awesome! Cruised in August once and will NEVER do that again - the kids took over the ship and parents were MIA. In September the weather is warm, but you could get rain periodically.

Statistically I don't see your ship being hit by a hurricane LOL

they just steer around them

September is not the month for highest odds for hurricane I don't think

Just go and do not worry --- we had realllly rough seas around End of December once -

Life is like a box of chocolates ...... Just bite the middle of one and GO ! :D

Enjoy the cruise. BC (Before children) all of our cruises were in Sept then we shifted a bit for other times. Now we are back to Sept with The Breeze booked for a B2B in September.

BTW - September 10th is the peak day of the Atlantic Hurricane Season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've done several in September and never had any issues, just gorgeous weather for the most part. When we last cruised in October we were at the edge of Raphael and missed Sandy by a week, so we had better luck with September.

Any thoughts?

I think you picked a great time to cruise out of Galveston.

Everyone's right, luck of the draw. Pay attention to the weather, in Florida it can change in a couple of hours. I booked a birthday cruise this last Nov, (first week) and wouldn't you know, Sandy hit October 26 in the Bahamas the week before we were to cruise and look at the path she took.

Happy Sailing,

Archived