Is September a bad time?

dadof2boys

Alright, we just booked the Magic for Septmeber 22 on Monday. We did our first Caribbean cruise (after years doing the West Coast) in December. Well, I don't think we can go back to cruising out of CA. Anyhow, that week in September worked out well with work and such so I just got excited and booked it. Over here in San Diego September's a great time of year. I didn't even think about hurricane season. Anyhow, now I'm considering paying the $50 pp change fee and choosing a different month.

Any thoughts?

I did buy insurance in case of flight delays.

It is certainly possible for a hurricane to alter your cruise or perhaps shore excursions. However, we have typically cruised in September. Of the 9 cruises we've taken only 2 were not in September and we never had any issues at all. In fact the one we did in November, an eastern caribbean, was the worse weather ever!

It is a gamble. Hurricane Ivan altered our itinerary mid-cruise in Sep 2004. A hurricane destroyed Cozumel in Oct 2005, and we were one of the first ships to return there less than 2 months later. I like the Nov-Dec time. Prices are low, as long as you don't cruise during holidays, and hurricanes are very rare. Hurricane aftermath, like in 2005, is a possibility. But the weather can be cooler, plus shorter days. However, a couple months ago on the Triumph out of Galveston, the weather was warm, sunny, and amazing! If there are no storms in Sep, it's not unusual to have spectacular weather, like I did in Panama City Beach this last fall.

If the ports are important to you, you should switch to a later date. If it's just for the ship and simply taking a cruise to whereever, you may be alright. It's still a gamble in some ways, but a change in itinerary won't matter as much to you.

Don't over stress booking in September. Be flexible in that your itinerary may change and just go with the flow. Hurricane season is much longer than just the month of September. Storms can, do, and will happen other times of the year also. Is the chance higher in September, sure. Would I let it affect my booking a cruise in September, heck no. I've cruised in September and had a wonderful time.

The bulk of our cruises are during Sept/Oct three times we hit hurricanes, I will admit it made for a lively time on the ship and all we did was steer around them and usually the next day it was a very perfect day. Only once did our port of call get hit and we sidetracked to Roatan (which wound up being a better deal anyways). Yes it is a crap shoot but I am of the mind set that when your on the ship you will never see these people after again at the end of the cruise so we make the most of it every time.

Statistically I don't see your ship being hit by a hurricane LOL

they just steer around them

September is not the month for highest odds for hurricane I don't think

Just go and do not worry --- we had realllly rough seas around End of December once -

Life is like a box of chocolates ...... Just bite the middle of one and GO ! :D

September is not the month for highest odds for hurricane I don't think

Mid-September is the peak of hurricane season, which begins in July and ends in November.

With that said, I've also cruised many times during that time frame (plus I grew up in a Caribbean island). Growing up, I NEVER experienced a direct hit from a hurricane. Then in 2005 I experienced 2 hurricanes back to back the same year. That's a pretty good record for 30+ years of life :D

As far as cruising goes, our itinerary has only been altered once because the piers in Cozumel were destroyed a few weeks prior so we went to Costa Maya instead (which we were thrilled about).

To summarize, yes it's hurricane season, but the odds are in your favor that you'll still have the cruise as you planned it. If not, you'll still have a great cruise, although you'll need to sail with the mind set that changes can happen.

We've lucked out. We've booked in September a bunch of times, and have never had any foul weather, but we certainly pay attention to the Weather Channel as our sail date approaches.

Less crowds, and it's significantly cheaper.

Hurricane season is 6 months, and the other 6 months consists of winter, and something bad can come through any time, especially now that they are naming all storms.

Mid-September is the peak of hurricane season, which begins in July and ends in November.

Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30th. Hurricanes can be before June or after November though too. Peak is September 10th and drops of quickly after that

peakofseason_sm.gif

I have cruised in September and will do so again.

Pros:

The tempatures are perfect for the beach.

The prices are among the best of the year.

The ships are not as packed as during peak times (closer to double occupancy than max capacity)

There won't be many children on board, as school will be back in session for most.

Cons:

You might have you itinerary altered due to hurricanes, or cruise delayed or cancelled if the home port is affected.

Its a crap shoot and that's why prices are so reasonable in September and Oct. in the Carribean.

That doesn't hold water because prices in August are way more than Oct and have similar hurricane frequencies.

It depends on peak cruising times. When families are off work / school, the cost will be more. When school is in, cost will be less

Alright, we just booked the Magic for Septmeber 22 on Monday. We did our first Caribbean cruise (after years doing the West Coast) in December. Well, I don't think we can go back to cruising out of CA. Anyhow, that week in September worked out well with work and such so I just got excited and booked it. Over here in San Diego September's a great time of year. I didn't even think about hurricane season. Anyhow, now I'm considering paying the $50 pp change fee and choosing a different month.

Any thoughts?

I did buy insurance in case of flight delays.

Risk is high n Sept, but if you understand that going in, then in the unlikely case that something goes amiss due to bad weather, you will be mentally prepared.

I've sailed numerous cruises during the Sept through Dec 1st time frame, during peak hurricane season. We have run into the tail end of many hurricanes and never once was our cruise ruined...bumpy sometimes, yes, but never ruined.

Just pack some Bonine and be happy :D

There's always a risk in September of a Hurricane, but it's unlikely a cruise would be cancelled. I suggest you fly into the port a day ahead of schedule.

I've cruised twice in September without problems.

Two things I like about September cruises. The prices are cheaper and there are far fewer little kids around (They're all in school).

It's a very different experience than cruising at Spring Break time when I've often gone. The clubs and bars are quieter.

Archived