4 day cruises

sweetcurves

I like 4 day cruises. I live close to the ports in So Cali so no flying for me. Sometimes a 4 day is all my work schedule and budget will allow. Also have done 4 days out of Miami and had the weekend before and after to sightsee and visit relatives. Cruising is my vacation preference so I am happy on a cruise no matter the length.

I live in WV and DM lives in FL. I have limited time for travel. I spend a little time visiting with family and friends then a little time cruising. A 4 night cruise is perfect for DM and I. Its better than not cruising at all.

Is your fall break during Thanksgiving? If so - just don't fly the "day of"

The OP is from Hamilton, so if the cruise is "around Thanksgiving" (which would be early for a fall break), it won't interfere with your busy "Thanksgiving" travel period.

I guess my perspective is whether I'd be looking at it as my vacation or as more of a getaway. If I have limited vacation time to use and limited time to take it, I'd probably wait to take more of it in a bigger chunk (be it a longer cruise or a 7-10 day regular vacation).

But if it is more of a "getaway" and I'm not looking at it as my big trip for the year, then I'd say, "go for it!". My wife and I flew down to LA for a 3-day long weekend cruise last year and it was a lot of fun. All cruises are pricey because of the cost of air travel, and the cost of the 3-day was even more so because I was amortizing the air travel cost over a 3-day cruise rather than a 7-10 day vacation. On the other hand, we left the kids at home, so it was cheap because we didn't have to pay for air fare and a cabin for them!

The other thing to consider is whether you can fly in or out the same day, which is what we did. I am a big fan of flying in the day before and flying out the day after the cruise ends. But that's almost unavoidable flying from PNW to a port that accesses the Caribbean. But for the LA trip, we flew in the morning of and flew out the day we returned. There is always a bit of a risk with delays, but if you're flying from YYZ, say to Miami, you can be pretty sure that if you book a really early flight, you don't need to worry that if they have to cancel it that it will be the only one of the day that can get you there.

Are they worth it? I have to fly in and out so we're actually talking about 6 days if I fly in the day before.

I'm looking at taking one on my fall break from school and just want to know if it's going to be worth all the arrangements, the lugging my laptop to do homework etc. I'd wait and take one during the break between semesters but that's Christmas and holy expensive.

I have never done anything less than seven days because for a caribbean cruise I have to fly to the US and so for me and my family its not worth it we are actually doing a B2B this year an 8 and a 6 day one ... because of airfare being so expensive.

regardless however a four day is better than a no day cruising :)

I say yes!! We've taken a bunch of them and would take more if we could find a new, interesting itinerary. It solves the problem of extra transit days to and from when you only have a week for vacation. We like the length, and have never sailed what I'd call a "party barge", but the big negative is that the short hauls are usually on older, smaller ships with limited amenities (with the possible exception of the Disney Dream, which is doing the Bahamas 4-nighters during your time frame).

So far we have completed three 4 day cruises and have really enjoyed them. We are going on our first 7 day in June of this year. I think it is a personal preference if the shorter cruises are worth it, flying or not.

Archived