Best "don't miss" thing in Barbados

millerspapa

Tyrone Griffith is an awesome and knowledgeable tour guide! We were there April 10th. I had been to the Island before' date=' but it seems I saw nothing and did nothing...I was surprised at all there was that I missed on my previous visit to the Island.

Tyrone has a wealth of knowledge about his home land. He is NOT your typical island tour guide. He loves this place and it shows. He is proud of the Island and takes you places that are absolutely awesome! He responded to emails very promptly, he was professional, but not stuffy, he was easy to find after arriving in port and he gave excellent directions on finding him.

We didn't do the beach, we preferred not to, but he sure wanted to show off the Best of Barbados beaches, maybe next time!

:D

He provided a list of the sites we would see and we didn't miss any! He even added in a few Celebrity homes and surprises along the way, which was very nice! We laughed, asked questions and heard stories about the different sites, he's no ordinary taxi driver, he's truly a tour guide!

We wanted to be back to the ship by a particular time and he respected that time. I also had a little "to do" list of things to pick up for friends. He took me to complete my list and made sure I got the best prices.

I'm giving his card to a friend who has family there, I'm keeping is card for my next visit. I don't want to lose this gem on the island. Tasted Banks and he had cold non-alcohol beverages available and now, I even

know the secret to the "rum punch". So very good! He's easy to talk to and contact, just email him, he'll respond tiatonagi at yah oo dot com

As crazy as the roads can be, he is not careless and is a very safe driver. I was very comfortable with him and by the end of the tour, I felt as if I was leaving a friend. A great representative of this Island. Look no further, Tyrone is the MAN!!![/quote']

Thanks for the information... I actually did book Tyrone for our tour

Can't wait!

I will also be booking Tyrone for our 8/4 visit on the Valor.

Just working out some of the finner details with him.

Thanks to all for suggestiing Tyrone.....

My only issue is, we are a group of 10 and he can not take 10, he can only take 8. He is suggesting someone named Paul. I would rather go with Tyrone... not sure how this will end up. I was "hoping" Tyrone could use Pauls van to take us around.

thanks,

Just returned yesterday from our 10 day cruise on Emerald Princess.

We used SILVER MOON catamaran. BEST DAY of the cruise. We were 13 on a cat that holds about 20. We had 3 crew members - Dexter, Elvis and Marlo who treated us like celebrities. There was an open bar - stocked with only the best liquors - Dexter even broke out the blender and made the best pina colada I have ever had. We swam with the turtles and snorkeled. Then the crew brought out a delicious lunch. BEST DAY of the Cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a tour through the ship a few years back which went to a botanical garden/bird sanctuary and then to the beach. Both were awesome! We really enjoyed it. The beach was one of the best we'd been to - it was perfect pristine white sands, turquoise waters....we really enjoyed our day in Barbados!

I did the same itinerary with the exchange of Antigua for Dominica. It was amazing! In St Thomas, we went shopping and then on a beach tour which was great. In St Martin, I've done the regatta race which was so much fun! Orient Beach was fun too, but be warned there is a clothing optional section. St Lucia was great zip lining. Barbados ended up being my favorite, but not at first! We hopped in a bus for Crane Beach, but the driver took us the other direction then doubled the price to get us there. We just got out with another couple we met on the bus where we were and found a nice beach. I can't remember which it was though! The highlight of the entire cruise was the $2/pp ride on the yellow bus that took us right back to the pier. Don't miss that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tyrone Griffith is an awesome and knowledgeable tour guide! I had been to the Island before' date=' but it seems I saw nothing and did nothing...I was surprised at all there was that I missed on my previous visit to the Island.

Tyrone has a wealth of knowledge about his home land. He is NOT your typical tour guide. He loves this place and it shows. He is proud of the Island and takes you places that are absolutely awesome!

We didn't do the beach either, we preferred not to, but he sure wanted to show off the Best of Barbados!

We wanted to be back to the ship by a particular time and he respected that time. I also had a little "to do" list of things to pick up for friends. He took me to complete my list and made sure I got the best prices.

I'm giving his card to a friend who has family there, I'm keeping is card for my next visit. I don't want to lose this gem on the island.

I know the secret to the "rum punch". So very good! :D[/quote']

Can you please scan and post his card. Interested in using his service for our September 2013 cruise on the Jewel of the Seas:)

@mommy4lyfe, it took him like 3-4 days to respond. He will give you a list of all the places he will take you. He told me he charges $30pp, he when up in price.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Here is the response I received from Tyrone. The price is not bad :) although he has gone up in price. First I read it was $25pp, than $30pp and now it is $35pp.

For those who have taken this tour; do you know what type of vehicle and are these private or group tours?

Hi Gladys

Thank you for taking time to email me. My name is Tyrone Griffith and I do an Island tour which lasts 3-4 hours for $70 USD per couple. On completion of the tour I give you time at Carlisle Bay which is an excellent beach and return for you at a time stipulated by you to take you back to the ship. No additional cost.

My package therefore is 3-4 hours tour + beach time.

Sites:

Kensington Oval (cricket)

Mount Gay Rum Distillery

Holetown (site of first settlers)

Oldest church

Cherry Tree Hill

Morgan Lewis Windmill

Bathsheba

St.John's Parish Church

Gun Hill Signal Station

These are mainly what I do and then of course I do not hurry along. I like to know people are getting their pics without a rush so if I go over 4 hours which is pretty normal then the earlier we start the better with me.

Hope this fits your needs

Tyrone

@Mommy4lifye Wow, I just talked to him last week and it was $30pp, then again it is 6 of us. Maybe it depends on how many people you are bringing with you. I think his van only holds 8-10 people. I read somewhere he has a decent van with AC.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Chelleum

• 4 weeks later...

The difference in prices is interesting. I got an email from him this morning about a tour in March of 2014 and he quoted a $25 price. What is going on?

Also, does anyone know if he has a minimum number for his tour?

The difference in prices is interesting. I got an email from him this morning about a tour in March of 2014 and he quoted a $25 price. What is going on?

Also, does anyone know if he has a minimum number for his tour?

We communicated thru emails and it was $35pp until it got to 7 ppl and than it became $25pp.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Forums mobile app

Then there is the Chocolate factory tour if you had enough island tours

http://www.agapey.com/chocolatefactory.html

Think there is also a rum factory tour nearby as well

It has never occurred to me that there would be factory "tours" on an island....I wonder if I could talk my family into doing it.... I would probably follow this with a beach stop.

How much should I expect to pay for taxi to the factory? What are the tour times/lengths?

It has never occurred to me that there would be factory "tours" on an island....I wonder if I could talk my family into doing it.... I would probably follow this with a beach stop.

How much should I expect to pay for taxi to the factory? What are the tour times/lengths?

Here's a whole thread about it - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442714&highlight=agapey+chocolate

It's a little old but has some good info.

• 4 months later...

I found Tyrone threw Cruise Critic back in July for our cruise in Oct./Nov, for a 3 to 4 hour island/beach tour. Tyrone responded in a timely fashion. He even helped us out when our tour became overbooked when 22 people signed up. He was very upfront and let us know his van only holds 7 people and that he couldn't be held responsible for the condition of the bus since it's not his own vehicle. We still took our chances and continued on with this tour. He made sure in a detailed email to let us know where to meet. Once we met we had a FANTASTIC tour. Since Tyrone doesn't have a bus license, he hired a driver Mike and he was an excellent driver, and very friendly. Tyrone was very upset over previous negative comments on here so he came on our tour and narrated for over 4 hours!!! He was very personable, friendly and professional. At no time did we feel rushed and he always made sure everyone got their "pics". The other passengers - also cruise critic members - seemed to enjoy it as well. I would highly recommend Tyrone! If and when we ever go back to Barbados I will most definitely look Tyrone up again!!