Best "don't miss" thing in Barbados

millerspapa

We are going to be stoping in Barbados in November. We are a group of 6, many of us new to cruising. We are going to be on the NCL SUN 10 day with stops in St Thomas, Dominica, Barbadoes,St Marten and St Lucia.

We are trying to compile a short list of things to do in each port and not duplicate things. If we do a beach day, we want to pick the right port to do so, same with snorkeling, shopping, nature stuff. We are easy going and do not mind booking tours, or just getting in a taxi and going on our own.

Looking for suggestions for things we should not miss on our first trip to each port.

Greg

FWIW, here's my opinion:

Of these islands, you might want to go with St. Thomas or St. Maarten for shopping. St. Thomas has nice beaches, or you can choose to take the ferry over to St. John for even more amazing beaches...

St. Maarten is famous for Maho beach, where planes fly right over your head.

Dominica is lush and green - not really a "beach" island, although some good snorkeling and diving. Check out someone like Levi (Bumpiing Tours). This or St. Lucia are good choices for nature stuff like hikes, waterfalls, etc...

Barbados is probably the best "beach" island out of all of these. Booze cruises are popular here, where you can snorkel with turtles and see some shipwrecks in shallow water.

St. Lucia is like a mix of beaches and lush green. Cosol and Spencer offer land/sea combo excursions or you can look at Spencer's Beach Break where he takes you to Jalousie Beach at the Pitons.

I love the east coast of Barbados especially the area around Bathsheba. A very unique coastline with the giant boulders strewn about. Great photo ops all along this side of the island. You could see that and still have time for the beach!

We are going to be stoping in Barbados in November. We are a group of 6, many of us new to cruising. We are going to be on the NCL SUN 10 day with stops in St Thomas, Dominica, Barbadoes,St Marten and St Lucia.

We are trying to compile a short list of things to do in each port and not duplicate things. If we do a beach day, we want to pick the right port to do so, same with snorkeling, shopping, nature stuff. We are easy going and do not mind booking tours, or just getting in a taxi and going on our own.

Looking for suggestions for things we should not miss on our first trip to each port.

Greg

Things you might want to do that will give you a different experience in each port (and we've done all of these, so can attest to the fact they're doable and enjoyable):

St. Thomas: arrange a day sail. We've used High Pockets, and loved it. Most day sails in st. Thomas have 6-pack licenses, so your group will have a private charter. The day includes relaxing sailing, very good snorkeling, usually in a couple of locations, good food and an attentive crew.

Dominica is the perfect island for a nature experience. It's beautiful, and you really have to venture beyond the port area to appreciate it. It's not primarily a beach or shopping island. I'd recommend booking with Levi Baron (Bumpiing tours). We've done 3 different tours with him and enjoyed every one.

Barbados offers good catamaran options (Calabaza is our favorite) which allow you to snorkel with turtles and on a wreck and reef, have a delicious lunch, and be pampered by your cat crew. But that's another day sail/snorkeling experience. Another poster mentioned the Agapey chocolate tour. We did that last year and enjoyed it. It's a unique experience - you can't duplicate it anywhere else. It's got to be booked in advance through their website, and is downright cheap - $10 per person when we did it. We arranged with a taxi driver to take us there, then to his choice of place for a flying fish lunch, then to Mount Gay rum for their tour. Or arrange with a taxi driver or Glory Tours for an island tour - there are some interesting and historical locations.

St. Maarten should definitely be your shopping day, perhaps combined with some time on the beach - either Orient or maybe Great Bay in Phillipsburg (but don't swim in Great Bay - pollution issues). If anyone in your group is interested, st. Maarten has an interesting beach/airport situation, Maho Beach, which is right across a 2-lane road from the runway of the international airport. I've got a lot of pictures taken there - my Flickr link is in my signature, or go to YouTube and search Maho Bay St. Maarten.

St. Lucia is another good nature island, and there are very good island excursions, detailed on the St. Lucia ports of call boards. It's one of our favorite islands for a beach day. We arrange a day pass on Anse Cochon through Island Divers at Ti Kaye village, which includes transportation on their dive boat, use of their beach facilities (loungers, cabanas, kayaks) and lunch at the restaurant on the beach. It's a good snorkeling location, and if you need/want it, snorkeling gear is included.

We've been to all of these islands multiple times, and have done a variety of thing on each island. These suggestions give you a pretty good variety.

Edited by jlmolner

I have been to these islands many times during my cruising history.

Here are my choices:

St. Thomas: My favorite ship excursion....Turtle Cove Snorkeling

St. Maarten: Dawn Beach (less crowded than Orient Beach).

St. Lucia: All inclusive day pass at Sandals (not impressed with the beaches of St. Lucia)

Best Day Pass all -inclusive I have ever been to, but a bit pricey, but worth it.

Don

I love the east coast of Barbados especially the area around Bathsheba. A very unique coastline with the giant boulders strewn about. Great photo ops all along this side of the island. You could see that and still have time for the beach!

Barbados is our favorite island. Highly recommend the east coast swing to Bathshba, but start at Crane Beach. This pink sand beach surrounded by cliffs is a jewel and also on the east coast. Just make a rental car reservation in advance as there is only one agency at the port. The island is very easy to drive on with good roads.

Another vote from me - love the Barbados East Coast - best done with Car Rental.

Edited by bee-ess

Greg

In Barbados - For a treat - Go for Lunch at the Coral Reef Hotel - Raised seating overlooking the Sea - Book in advance

Greg

sorry no post

We were in Barbados in November and used Calabazza ... Swim with the sea turtles but out on their beautiful boat and being treated like royalty the whole day. They have a crew of 3 and only take 12 passengers. Can't wait to go back to Barbados!!

can't wait as I will be doing a return visit to the recently renovated Jolly Roger pirate ship (Now called the Black Pearl) in Barbados in just 3 weeks. 11-3pm cruise includes snorkeling with the turtles, lunch & some deviously delicious & dangerous rum punch!

Just make a rental car reservation in advance as there is only one agency at the port. The island is very easy to drive on with good roads.

I see the car rental company (I'm assuming I'm looking at the correct one) just lists prices starting with 2 day rentals. Is that their minimum charge or is there a lower price for just one day?

I see the car rental company (I'm assuming I'm looking at the correct one) just lists prices starting with 2 day rentals. Is that their minimum charge or is there a lower price for just one day?

The one at the port is called Stoutes (at least it was 2 years ago !!)

http://www.stoutescar.com/contact-us

Edited by bee-ess

• 2 weeks later...

Renting a car is a lot of fun. You drive on the "wrong" side, which is an adventure. The roads are in pretty good condition, even the smaller sideroads. The road markings are another matter. A good map is a must.

We had a car for 5 or 6 hours and saw a lot; West Coast past Sandy Lane to Speightown; St. Nicholas Abbey; Morgan Lewis Windmill; East Coast and Bathsheba; Gun Hill Signal Station; and back to Bridgetown.

Between St. Thomas and Barbados, I would pick St. Thomas for the beach, or go to St. John's. If you decide to sight see in Barbados I would agree with another poster that Bathesba (sp?) would be a nice stop.

Edited by tiff123

It will depend what you want to take away as an experience from Barbados. The first time we were there, we did the Harrison's Cave tour. It was a wonderful experience. We learned lots about the island's fresh water ecosystem and went deep into the caves (on a little "train"-like vehicle) and got to see some spectacular stalactites and stalagmites.

We also very much enjoyed the Orchid farm that same day. We simply hired a taxi driver for the day and told him where we wanted to go then asked him to take us to see something special on the island. He took us on a tour through an area ripe with the native island monkeys. It was pretty amazing...

Last time we were in Barbados, we ventured to the Earthworks Pottery Factory. There is also a small batik shoppe on site. Unfortunately, we missed the demonstration that day. We did meet some of the island residents who worked there and enjoyed seeing the magnificent work they were doing. We brought home some treasures from there that are true souvenirs of the day we spent there. That day, we also went to the rum factory on the way back.

There are lots of excellent suggestions here already but I hadn't seen any of these things mentioned. If you're looking for something other than bars, beaches or more boat rides, I'd highly recommend looking into the things I've mentioned.

(P.S. We're going back again this year and will likely explore the Garrison Historic Area -- it should be rife with history and culture -- what we most crave when we visit other places).

We have done a similair itinerary and it was a blast. Here are a few suggestions. Have a great cruise!

St Maarten - Bernards Tour

Great way to see both the french and dutch side, went to Orient and Maho beach, as well as had time for shopping in both Marigot and Philipsburg

Barbados - We did a catamaran snorkel with the turtles and the beach. It was a blast! And snorkeling with the turtles was a lot of fun.

St Lucia - Ziplining!

St Thomas - Shopping is good here. Also Magans bay is beautiful. If you want to commit the day, take the ferry to St Johns and visit Trunk Bay, also beautiful

Edited by smacksgirl11

• 4 weeks later...

We had a wonderful tour in Barbados with Tyrone Griffith. We will do it again the next time we are in Barbados. The tour took us all over the island. Tyrone is very personable and very accommodating.

The tour lasted about 3-4 hours from start to finish. The cost is $25 per person. Tyrone prefers 8 people on the tour but he will accommodate other size groups as well. Pick up and drop off is at the pier.

He offers free local "Banks" bear and rum punch for adults and Mauby or orange juice for the children.

The tour covered the coast lines and internal towns of Barbados.

Here is a listing of some of the things we saw.

Cricket Stadium - Kensington Oval

Spring Garden Highway

Mount Gay Distillery

Fitts Village

Monument erected in memory of passengers killed in first terrorist attack in the Caribbean aboard a Cubana Airlines flight in 1976

Sandy Lane Hotel and Golf Course and feeding monkies

Holetown

The oldest church on the Island known ast Saiint James Parish Church

Sugar factories on the inside of the Island

View from the top of the Island - Spectacular

St John's Parish Church -- This is a must see also

Gun Hill

Government Buildings

Horse Track

And, of course, beautiful natural landscape and Ocean

Although we did not do this, Tyrone will drop off and collect people who are interested in bathing at Carlisle Bay at no additional cost.

If you want to contact him, try tiatonagi at yahoo dot com.

We had a wonderful tour in Barbados with Tyrone Griffith. We will do it again the next time we are in Barbados. The tour took us all over the island. Tyrone is very personable and very accommodating.

The tour lasted about 3-4 hours from start to finish. The cost is $25 per person. Tyrone prefers 8 people on the tour but he will accommodate other size groups as well. Pick up and drop off is at the pier.

He offers free local "Banks" bear and rum punch for adults and Mauby or orange juice for the children.

The tour covered the coast lines and internal towns of Barbados.

Here is a listing of some of the things we saw.

Cricket Stadium - Kensington Oval

Spring Garden Highway

Mount Gay Distillery

Fitts Village

Monument erected in memory of passengers killed in first terrorist attack in the Caribbean aboard a Cubana Airlines flight in 1976

Sandy Lane Hotel and Golf Course and feeding monkies

Holetown

The oldest church on the Island known ast Saiint James Parish Church

Sugar factories on the inside of the Island

View from the top of the Island - Spectacular

St John's Parish Church -- This is a must see also

Gun Hill

Government Buildings

Horse Track

And, of course, beautiful natural landscape and Ocean

Although we did not do this, Tyrone will drop off and collect people who are interested in bathing at Carlisle Bay at no additional cost.

If you want to contact him, try tiatonagi at yahoo dot com.

I just emailed him and he responded... so should I even stop looking for another tour?

• 4 weeks later...
I just emailed him and he responded... so should I even stop looking for another tour?

Tyrone Griffith is an awesome and knowledgeable tour guide! I had been to the Island before, but it seems I saw nothing and did nothing...I was surprised at all there was that I missed on my previous visit to the Island.

Tyrone has a wealth of knowledge about his home land. He is NOT your typical tour guide. He loves this place and it shows. He is proud of the Island and takes you places that are absolutely awesome!

We didn't do the beach either, we preferred not to, but he sure wanted to show off the Best of Barbados!

We wanted to be back to the ship by a particular time and he respected that time. I also had a little "to do" list of things to pick up for friends. He took me to complete my list and made sure I got the best prices.

I'm giving his card to a friend who has family there, I'm keeping is card for my next visit. I don't want to lose this gem on the island.

I know the secret to the "rum punch". So very good! :D

Tyrone Griffith is an awesome and knowledgeable tour guide! We were there April 10th. I had been to the Island before, but it seems I saw nothing and did nothing...I was surprised at all there was that I missed on my previous visit to the Island.

Tyrone has a wealth of knowledge about his home land. He is NOT your typical island tour guide. He loves this place and it shows. He is proud of the Island and takes you places that are absolutely awesome! He responded to emails very promptly, he was professional, but not stuffy, he was easy to find after arriving in port and he gave excellent directions on finding him.

We didn't do the beach, we preferred not to, but he sure wanted to show off the Best of Barbados beaches, maybe next time!

:D

He provided a list of the sites we would see and we didn't miss any! He even added in a few Celebrity homes and surprises along the way, which was very nice! We laughed, asked questions and heard stories about the different sites, he's no ordinary taxi driver, he's truly a tour guide!

We wanted to be back to the ship by a particular time and he respected that time. I also had a little "to do" list of things to pick up for friends. He took me to complete my list and made sure I got the best prices.

I'm giving his card to a friend who has family there, I'm keeping is card for my next visit. I don't want to lose this gem on the island. Tasted Banks and he had cold non-alcohol beverages available and now, I even

know the secret to the "rum punch". So very good! He's easy to talk to and contact, just email him, he'll respond tiatonagi at yah oo dot com

As crazy as the roads can be, he is not careless and is a very safe driver. I was very comfortable with him and by the end of the tour, I felt as if I was leaving a friend. A great representative of this Island. Look no further, Tyrone is the MAN!!!