Boarding fascination in Jacksonville

steve4031

We have fttf and I was thinking about bringing our bags on board and not using the baggage porters. I think we won't be efficient enough to do this and not be miserable hauling the bags to the cabin.

Why would you do that.

One of the better perks now of FTTF and Platinum, is having your bags rushed to your room asap.

(our cruise in December we had 3 bags at our door, as soon as embarkation started [we were the 2nd or 3rd people on after the wedding party and went straight to our cabin] and the last bag arrived an hour or so later)

Let the porters and crew lug your bags for you.

Bill

Why would you do that.

One of the better perks now of FTTF and Platinum, is having your bags rushed to your room asap.

(our cruise in December we had 3 bags at our door, as soon as embarkation started [we were the 2nd or 3rd people on after the wedding party and went straight to our cabin] and the last bag arrived an hour or so later)

Let the porters and crew lug your bags for you.

Bill

I don't think I wrote that correctly. I agree that it makes more sense to let the porters do their job. It will be worth the tip.

There isn't even a deck 3 on the deck plan in my iPhone app. I remember this level from other cruises though.

What is the terminal like at Jacksonville?

DH and I have sailed out Jax many times and it was pretty easy. However, the last two times (Nov and Sept 2012) it had been changed and we had to park first and then take a "shuttle" from the parking lot to the terminal. I put quotes around shuttle because it's a golf cart! At most 4 people and luggage. We used to be able to drive up to the terminal, unload, and I would wait until DH parked the car and returned. In Sept., it was pouring rain and we got soaked having to use the shuttle method, but no alternative. We are sailing out of Jax in 18 days, so we'll see if it's still the same. Unsure of the reason for the change.

The terminal was HOT! It was summer so that is what I expected. We waited about 5-7 minutes in a long line outside the buildiing. There were benches for folks to sit on ( to wait for family to gather or at departure) but not in the area where you line up to enter the building to get on the ship. Once inside the building the line was organized and it felt like Disney World or Six Flags where you stand in the roped area for a LONG time. The screening was thorough and large bags were searched. The trashcans were full of stuff that people had to throw away. The line divided by status I believe... we were first time cruisers with Carnival so we went one way and others went another. The terminal employees for Carnival were knowledgeable and helpful.

The parking was relatively close to the terminal. Baggage cart employees took our bags from the car and we walked a short distance to the terminal to line up(just carrying our carry-on bags). So many folks had cases of water and juice and no one had a problem with it.

It was easy to find the terminal from the highway (lots of signs). We did bring a GPS and directions with us and that helped.

Overall I was pleased with the experience - I had it in mind before we left that we would stand in line and we would need to be patient. I have left from Port Canaveral before and either was a good choice.

The ship had to do a complete 180 turn to leave the port which seemed odd ( I thought they would have done that before we left but I guess it had to do with port doors or something.

If you can go to the front bow at departure right after your muster drill - bring your videocamera and sunscreen and it is a miraculous sight going under the Jacksonville bridge. Very cool!

It's the 3rd deck, pretty much ground level.

And for the beauty of Jacksonville--last week from my Zone # being called to getting my luggage in the car was about 12 minutes. Customs and all.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The terminal was HOT! It was summer so that is what I expected. We waited about 5-7 minutes in a long line outside the buildiing. There were benches for folks to sit on ( to wait for family to gather or at departure) but not in the area where you line up to enter the building to get on the ship. Once inside the building the line was organized and it felt like Disney World or Six Flags where you stand in the roped area for a LONG time. The screening was thorough and large bags were searched. The trashcans were full of stuff that people had to throw away. The line divided by status I believe... we were first time cruisers with Carnival so we went one way and others went another. The terminal employees for Carnival were knowledgeable and helpful.

The parking was relatively close to the terminal. Baggage cart employees took our bags from the car and we walked a short distance to the terminal to line up(just carrying our carry-on bags). So many folks had cases of water and juice and no one had a problem with it.

It was easy to find the terminal from the highway (lots of signs). We did bring a GPS and directions with us and that helped.

Overall I was pleased with the experience - I had it in mind before we left that we would stand in line and we would need to be patient. I have left from Port Canaveral before and either was a good choice.

The ship had to do a complete 180 turn to leave the port which seemed odd ( I thought they would have done that before we left but I guess it had to do with port doors or something.

If you can go to the front bow at departure right after your muster drill - bring your videocamera and sunscreen and it is a miraculous sight going under the Jacksonville bridge. Very cool!

We have FTTF for our cabin, so we should be minimizing our time in the terminal. We will be taking a taxi so I suspect that we will really simplify things too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived