Need advice for Burmuda

symphony

We would like to take taxis to the caves, zoo, and aquarium so we are not dependent on ship tours. We'll be in Burmuda for 3 days, but would also like to reserve one day for the beach.

How much time is reasonable to see each of these attractions: the caves, the zoo, and the aquarium. We don't expect to cram all of this into one day, but if seeing any of these attractions in 1-2 hours or so is sufficient, then we can make better plans.

Are taxis readily available from these places so we can get back to the ship when we want?

Also, are taxis readily available to get back from the beaches if we take one there?

Thanks! Symphony

When is your cruise and what cruise ship will you be on?

BTW, the zoo and the aquarium are in the same location. The Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo is called BAMZ for short.

Try to do the caves and BAMZ on the same day because they are in the same general area and you would be saving taxi fare by not repeating the same trip on consecutive days.

Have you priced out taxi fares?

SBtS

When is your cruise and what cruise ship will you be on?

BTW, the zoo and the aquarium are in the same location. The Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo is called BAMZ for short.

Try to do the caves and BAMZ on the same day because they are in the same general area and you would be saving taxi fare by not repeating the same trip on consecutive days.

Have you priced out taxi fares?

SBtS

We were docked in Bermuda for 3 days in October. We used the high speed ferry to get us to Hamilton and then picked up the local bus which went to St. Georges. For $20 we each purchased a 2 days pass. Think the 3 day pass is $30 or so. A great way to get around and the busses are very frequent. You use your same pass for the ferry and the bus, so you can decide which way is more convenient for you to get back to the ship. Its cheap and reliable transportation. The ferry is great and you can also get the ferry to St. George's. We had just missed a hurricane, so the ferry to St. George's wasn't running that day. The bus stopped right by the aquarium and zoo and we spent about 3 hours there. You can hop off and on whenever you want. I highly recommend this reasonable mode of travel. There are busses for the whole island and I believe if you go to the Bermuda website, you can get a bus schedule. The keyosk to purchase the bus/ferry pass is right next to the ship. I would think taxis would be quite expensive to drive you to the aquarium from the ship as its quite a distance. Also, there is a good beach within walking distance in the Navy dockyard where your ship is docked. I met some people who went snorkeling all over the island and they said the beach next to the dock by the Fort had the best snorkeling they had encountered. Its $5 to go to the beach for the day and you can rent chairs and umbrellas and as well, there is a bar and restaurant. This is a great spot to have your ship docked for 3 days. Hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did and if you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

If the zoo and aquarium can be adequately seen in about 3 hours, how much more time should we allow for the caves? We will have two young children with us, so we probably don't want to have too long a day.

Also, thanks for the beach recommendation. The children are anxious to see pink sand, so we may have to go to Horseshoe Bay where some people say the sand is most vivid.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Symphony

BTW, we'll be on the Summit in July.

If the zoo and aquarium can be adequately seen in about 3 hours, how much more time should we allow for the caves? We will have two young children with us, so we probably don't want to have too long a day.

Also, thanks for the beach recommendation. The children are anxious to see pink sand, so we may have to go to Horseshoe Bay where some people say the sand is most vivid.

Symphony

We were 4 adults and wanted to do a few other things so limited ourselves to around 3 or so hours, but you could spend a lot longer there if you wanted to. There is a children's playground at the aquarium and children may want to hang out longer at each tank. But we felt that we had long enough at the aquarium and zoo. The zoo isn't all that large. But both places are well laid out and interesting. We did not go to the Caves so I cannot help you with that. Just a note, depending on how many ships are in port, may depend on how busy the busses are. Because the ferry was cancelled to Saint Georges the bus system was very busy the first day. We had to stand up at first and the roads were windy and the busses did drive fast. Also, we walked up the hill a couple of blocks to get to the bus station. I'm not sure how small your children are or if you are using strollers, but you might want to take that into consideration. The bus system is great for adults. I would want my children seated on these busses since you have to hold on to the rail if crowded. At the dockyard museum there is a dolphin show and you can swim with the dolphins. Nice shopping at the navy dockyard shops and there is a boat shop (yellow building) for vendors. Better prices here on snacks and water if you are walking around the dockyard. Interesting little shop. You can spend a whole day walking around the dockyard if you wanted to especially if you go into the Fort. Its very interesting and has a great view. Hope this helps. The Bermuda tourism website has some great information as well. People are very polite in Bermuda and its expected to greet everyone when you board the busses, etc. Lovely island, a favourite of ours. Hope you enjoy it.

Symphony

If your children want to see pink sand between their toes, they won't see it at Snorkel Park which is the name of the beach close to where you are docked. SP is man made and atypical of the free public beaches in Bermuda. You will have to take your children to Horseshoe Bay or another South Shore beach for the pink sand.

To give you an idea of the taxi fare to BAMZ, I would estimate the one way fare from the Dockyard to BAMZ to be about $43.00 for 4 passengers. The caves are about 3 mile past BAMZ.

To reduce that fare, you could take the ferry to Hamilton and then a taxi to BAMZ. The ferry ride to Hamilton is very pleasant and your children may enjoy it. The taxi fare from Hamilton to BAMZ would be about $22.00. The ferry fare for an adult is a $4.00 token (or transportation pass) and for children, under 5, ride free.

You can understand now why I suggested you do BAMZ and the caves in the same day.

SBtS

Symphony

My suggestion would be to skip snorkel beach - especially with children...it was a BIG disappointment to us. It had a very man made feeling and the sand was full of broken glass. they had raked up the more public area and left a pile of glass in the sand. This was our experience -- I am not exadurating --- I said to my husband what a shame it would be if it were the only beach someone saw while visiting bermuda. PLUS it cost $10 to get in. It is hidden behind the fort walls so you cant get a look to evaluate if its a good fit for you. Horseshoe bay and its surounding beaches were easy to get to, lots of space and exploring , a bath house , and a place to get drinks and rent chairs if you like. we were there in may and it wasnt crowded . I would guess in july it could get kinda busy tho.

Archived