Highly recommended things to do or see in NOLA

airdale

I realize that NO is a fantastic city to visit with more things that a person could possibly see or do in two days.

What would you suggest for us as “TRY NOT TO MISS OR DO?” Activities, places to eat, things to see or whatever.

We have sailed out of NO once before and loved the city and we had a great time while there. We are bringing another couple with us this time that has never been there before and also have never cruised before. So we can not wait to see their faces when they see NO and the ship, it should be fun.

Anyway, the last time we were there we had an hour or 1 1/2 hour carriage tour and it was very informative and educational. Loved it! We plan to do this again. We visited Bourbon St at night and had a really good time and a good meal there, hit some clubs and listened to some good music also. We will have to show them bourbon St for sure. Then we walked around a lot and then went to the aquarium and the IMAX show. Very time consuming! Both of these are off the list for this trip. We ate at different restaurants and it was a hit and miss with the food. We DON”T eat at National chain restaurants while on vacation, if we can eat at the same type when we are at home. We had the beignets at the Cafe Du Monde by the riverfront the last time. Not bad... Sorry... If it is something the other couple would like to do, we will do it again. Again sorry, I’m a mid-westerner and I really prefer a good jelly doughnut. ;)

This time we sail at the start of ‘JAZZ FEST’ and I am wondering how that will effect the local French Quarter music ventures? With all the music at the fairgrounds for each day...does the French Quarter music venues lose most of their really great musicians to the JAZZ FEST for those 10 or 11 days? Or do they still play the bars and clubs? We are opened for any suggestions.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

I realize that NO is a fantastic city to visit with more things that a person could possibly see or do in two days.

What would you suggest for us as “TRY NOT TO MISS OR DO?” Activities, places to eat, things to see or whatever.

We have sailed out of NO once before and loved the city and we had a great time while there. We are bringing another couple with us this time that has never been there before and also have never cruised before. So we can not wait to see their faces when they see NO and the ship, it should be fun.

Anyway, the last time we were there we had an hour or 1 1/2 hour carriage tour and it was very informative and educational. Loved it! We plan to do this again. We visited Bourbon St at night and had a really good time and a good meal there, hit some clubs and listened to some good music also. We will have to show them bourbon St for sure. Then we walked around a lot and then went to the aquarium and the IMAX show. Very time consuming! Both of these are off the list for this trip. We ate at different restaurants and it was a hit and miss with the food. We DON”T eat at National chain restaurants while on vacation, if we can eat at the same type when we are at home. We had the beignets at the Cafe Du Monde by the riverfront the last time. Not bad... Sorry... If it is something the other couple would like to do, we will do it again. Again sorry, I’m a mid-westerner and I really prefer a good jelly doughnut. ;)

This time we sail at the start of ‘JAZZ FEST’ and I am wondering how that will effect the local French Quarter music ventures? With all the music at the fairgrounds for each day...does the French Quarter music venues lose most of their really great musicians to the JAZZ FEST for those 10 or 11 days? Or do they still play the bars and clubs? We are opened for any suggestions.

Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Hi Airdale,

I'll start with your last questions first. During this time of year, many of the headliner performers for JazzFest have concerts in other venues around the City. Most of our local musicians don't go anywhere during JazzFest and they have concerts all over town as well; if you get lucky one of the headliner performers may jump on stage and jam with them. As you get closer you should check out www.wwoz.org for concert information.

Fot breakfast try http://www.croissantdornola.com/. Even a jelly doughnut guy like yourself will enjoy this place :).

Hope this helps,

Jorge

We drove from Louisville (11 hrs) last mo. and had dinner at Crescent City Brewhouse. Had a 2 for 1 entree coupon and had the 5 beer sampler. All was very good, perhaps a bit overpriced. Went to the WWII Museum on Sat. and was very impressed, especially the 4D movie, then walked up to the Riverfront Street Car and rode to the French Mkt. Had a great dinner at Dick and Jenny's Sat. night. I'm anxious to get back next Dec. when we're cruising again. Enjoy, Steve

If anything, the French Quarter will be more crowded and active during Jazz Fest, and the number of concerts around the city increase.

If you go to Jazz Fest, be aware that the grounds where the festival will be taking place will be littered with cups and cans--it can be disconcerting. Also, the festival crowds can be substantial. However, nearly all attending are in great spirits. And the reason many go is to eat--the food offerings are many, varied, relatively inexpensive and in some cases absolutely superb.

The D-Day Museum is the most popular museum in town.

But I would suggest just spending time in the French Quarter and Warehouse District with perhaps a tour of some of the Uptown residential neighborhoods. Consider splurging at Commander's. And Galatoire's is a local institution with reasonably priced lunch specials, but in the evening coat and tie are required. Have a cocktail at the Carousel bar in the Monteleone Hotel or at the Napoleon House (seen in the Mercedes Super Bowl commercial). And if you like Italian, or what is really Creole-Italian in New Orleans, try Irene's in the back of the Quarter or Tommy's Cuisine in the Warehouse District a block from Emeril's.

With the exception of resrtaurants, New Orleans is not about checking off sites or attractions. The city's attraction is its culture in its Mediterranean way of life.

Isu2fan, Oh, very happy to hear that the music goes on at the clubs and bars during Jazz Fest! I haven’t any plans to go the the festival its self but I sure want to hear local music. Thanks for the http://www.croissantdornola.com/ for a place to try out. I went to their web site and after looking at their menu I am sure we will go there and eat! Thanks.

zounds, I think the D-Day museum would be a place to go see.How long did you spend at the museum? Do you think you rushed through it and could you have spent more time there? I have a habit of looking and reading too much while at museums, forts, battlegrounds, other historical places according to my wife. We MUST ride the trolley this time while we are there because they weren't running the last time, too soon after the flood I guess.

Reggiefan, Yes, yes, yes I agree that is what I really enjoy is getting to learn about and enjoy the culture of any area we visit. We did stayed in the French Quarter the last time we were down in NO and took in that great carriage tour. So I really what to thank you for the other things you have listed to see!

curacaoqueen, we took in the #1 cemetery while on the carriage tour the last time and even seen Marie Lavaeu’s crypt. I am sure seeing that the other couple hasn’t been to NO before, we will take in that cemetery again this time. Thanks.

Thank you for the restaurant recommendations...BUT the type of eats I am really looking for instead of the fancy, upscale ones, I would really appreciate the ones that draw the locals into their eats. But not the ones that may be in questionable neighborhoods of course. You know, the establishments that have great local down to earth type of food and maybe even some local entertainment thrown in would make it even better.

Isu2fan, Oh, very happy to hear that the music goes on at the clubs and bars during Jazz Fest! I haven’t any plans to go the the festival its self but I sure want to hear local music. Thanks for the http://www.croissantdornola.com/ for a place to try out. I went to their web site and after looking at their menu I am sure we will go there and eat! Thanks.

zounds, I think the D-Day museum would be a place to go see.How long did you spend at the museum? Do you think you rushed through it and could you have spent more time there? I have a habit of looking and reading too much while at museums, forts, battlegrounds, other historical places according to my wife. We MUST ride the trolley this time while we are there because they weren't running the last time, too soon after the flood I guess.

Reggiefan, Yes, yes, yes I agree that is what I really enjoy is getting to learn about and enjoy the culture of any area we visit. We did stayed in the French Quarter the last time we were down in NO and took in that great carriage tour. So I really what to thank you for the other things you have listed to see!

curacaoqueen, we took in the #1 cemetery while on the carriage tour the last time and even seen Marie Lavaeu’s crypt. I am sure seeing that the other couple hasn’t been to NO before, we will take in that cemetery again this time. Thanks.

Thank you for the restaurant recommendations...the type of eating places I am really looking for are, are the ones that draw the daily or nightly local crowd. You know the ones I am talking about...down to earth food with maybe some local entertainment thrown in for good measure if possible. The salt of the earth eateries. Please keep me out of any area that might be considered high risk. ALL town and cities have those areas and the Lord knows I have visited some in my past. But I never had my wife with me for safety reasons when I did and I prefer not to start now. Thank you for your input!

If you can tell us specifically what types pf food you are looking for, we can be more helpful with restaurant recommendations. Also, with restaurants, check out nola.com and Tom Fitzmorris's website.

Do you have access to a car or mind hiring a taxi? A challenge is that the down-to-earth places you want to go to are not within walking distance of the French Quarter. Mother's on Poydras is conveniently located, but a percentage of its clientele are tourists.

However, here are a few suggestions for their local color and food:

1. Mandina's on Canal about two miles from the river.

2. Luiza's on Iberville, about a half mile from Mandina's.

3. Mr. Ed's in suburban Metairie, though near the parish line. The best food of all the places listed, but the most expensive taxi fare.

4. Snug Harbor on Frenchman, great hamburgers and other items as well as music.

5. Li'l Dizzy's on Esplanade, a New Orleans soul food restaurant. I ate there once on a Sunday morning, and it was delightful. I would take a taxi and would visit during the day.

I don't remember exactly how long we spent there-maybe 2-3 hrs. in the exhibits, plus lunch. We skipped over some of it, as there is a LOT of reading material and you could spend all day. Also, FYI, it's a streetcar, not a trolley.

We personally really loved Deanie's restaurant. There is one in the French Quarter and another in the area. It's just really great seafood (and I'm not a huge seafood fan). We actually had our rehearsal dinner there last year before our wedding. We also liked Felix's - it's an Oyster Bar but has other foods as well.

My husband and I went to the WWII museum and spent half of the day there walking around the museum and watching a short movie they have. We probably could have spent longer, but it was the end of our vacation/wedding week and we were pretty tired.

Another thing we did was a "city tour." We booked it from one of the fliers in our hotel and it was pretty much an all day thing. They take you through many sights in the town and tell you all about the history. It includes the French Quarter, Basin St Station information center (where we got married), Garden District, Warehouse District, 9th ward, and a cemetary tour all with the comfort and safety of a tour bus. It was great and I'm so glad we did it.

Thanks so much for the information.

Very Excited about this trip. Just printed the coupons

We are getting 19+ inches of snow today -- very glad it is not next weekend.

Again thanks

Good Luck! My mom's family is in Rochester and my cousin is in Rhode Island - She's supposed to get at least 2 feet. In Texas though, it was 80 yesterday. We don't have much of a winter here.. :rolleyes:

Reggiefan, Yes we are all driving to the port and so will have two cars for use there. I checked out your restaurant suggestions and three stood out from the rest...unfortunately Mr Ed’s isn’t open on Sunday and I don’t know if we will be able make it Saturday night. Snug Harbor opening for dinner with its music looks great to me, I will see how everyone else feels but we may have to do it Saturday night because with the cruise beginning Monday I know they won’t want to stay out too late on Sunday. Mother’s by having breakfast all day sounds inviting for sure. Thanks for the suggestions.

zsounds, bummer, I figured that the WWII museum would be too time consuming for this trip. We will have to keep it flagged for the next time we are in NO, when there isn’t so much ‘new’ stuff for our friends to see. Thanks for your insight!

jlpcruser, I added Deanie’s to my list of restaurants and a place called Acme also. I know they want to take a carriage tour and maybe the ‘hop on and hop off bus’ for some other sites. Thanks for the URL with the coupons. I will print them off.

crusinmama22, I hope your travel to your cruise ship is uneventful with no weather delays and that your cruise its self is better than you had wished for...have a wonderful time!

Reggiefan, Yes we are all driving to the port and so will have two cars for use there. I checked out your restaurant suggestions and three stood out from the rest...unfortunately Mr Ed’s isn’t open on Sunday and I don’t know if we will be able make it Saturday night. Snug Harbor opening for dinner with its music looks great to me, I will see how everyone else feels but we may have to do it Saturday night because with the cruise beginning Monday I know they won’t want to stay out too late on Sunday. Mother’s by having breakfast all day sounds inviting for sure. Thanks for the suggestions.

zsounds, bummer, I figured that the WWII museum would be too time consuming for this trip. We will have to keep it flagged for the next time we are in NO, when there isn’t so much ‘new’ stuff for our friends to see. Thanks for your insight!

jlpcruser, I added Deanie’s to my list of restaurants and a place called Acme also. I know they want to take a carriage tour and maybe the ‘hop on and hop off bus’ for some other sites. Thanks for the URL with the coupons. I will print them off.

crusinmama22, I hope your travel to your cruise ship is uneventful with no weather delays and that your cruise its self is better than you had wished for...have a wonderful time!

Just an FYI - if Acme Oyster House is full or has a long line, Felix's Restaurant and Oyster Bar is another great option right across the street. Some people even prefer it over Acme. :)

jlpcruiser, we ate the last time at a restaurant just around the corner from the Holiday inn French Quarter. The desk clerk in the Holiday recommended going there for good food. Everything that everybody had that night was really good tasting. I wish I could remember the name of it. :confused: But, I had their grilled oysters and they were great. I wonder if it may have been Acme or Felix’s where we ate? Oh well, April isn’t that far away. Thanks again!

mafig, here are a couple of URL’s for you to visit, explaining your reason of confusion and hopefully clearing things up for you. :confused: As I have read, it was ‘ORGINALLY’ named ‘D-DAY museum’ in 2000 and was a privately owned venture, but CONGRESS DESIGNATED it in 2003 as the ‘National WWII museum’. It is still a private venture. I hope this helps. Here are the URL’s

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/about-the-museum/index.html

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

Archived