London City or Gatwick Airports??

fitznorton

Arriving in London for a few days before a cruise leaving out of Venice. Booked at the Doubletree Victoria Station. I am not sure which airport I should use for my London to Venice flight.....Gatwick or London City Airport. The prices are comparable, my question is what airport is easier to get to with luggage? Should we take a taxi, train or bus? Thank you.

If you are next to Victoria Station, then Gatwick would be the easier airport to reach. You can take a train (either the Gatwick Express) which is direct (no stopping) from Victoria to Gatwick Airport, or a standard train which will have stops, will be cheaper, and still no need to change trains.

Luggage is fine, as there are lifts if the platforms are not on the same level. The trains are set up for luggage, however the Gatwick Express would have more room for the luggage. If you purchase your tickets beforehand, this will be cheaper than on the day.

Yes, I agree with Guernseycruiser, even though I am a big fan of City Airport. It's quite easy to get to from Victoria, but you would need to change twice on tubes and the DLR, neither of which are really set up for luggage. And it's way the other side of London, so a cab would be pretty expensive, I would think, and subject to the vagaries of London traffic and roadworks :)

Sorry, another question. In researching the two airports London City has a better time and fare (as of this morning) for our flight to Venice. According to the London City Airport website a taxi would be about 30 pounds from Victoria Station. Gatwick express is 17.75 pounds per person. Is Gatwick airport better than London City Airport? Thanks again for all replies.

Sorry, another question. In researching the two airports London City has a better time and fare (as of this morning) for our flight to Venice. According to the London City Airport website a taxi would be about 30 pounds from Victoria Station. Gatwick express is 17.75 pounds per person. Is Gatwick airport better than London City Airport? Thanks again for all replies.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'better' here. City Airport is very small and usually really easy to get through. Gatwick is a typical international airport - large, two terminals, lots more shopping and places to eat, but a lot busier and probably longer queues.

The £30 cab fare is probably minimum and could go up quickly if there are traffic issues (although black cabs can use bus lanes). You could probably also get a private hire for less, but even more subject to delay (can't use bus lanes). It's one of those things where you will probably need to allow more time than it almost certainly actually takes, just in case.

Thank you for all your advice. Booked a BA flight out of Gatwick. How soon should I book the Gatwick Express? How much time should I allow before a 2:05 PM flight? Thanks again!

I wouldn't even bother with the Gatwick Express. it's twice the price (19.90 or 17.75 for web pre-booked) vs the 10 or 14 GBP for the regular trains that stop at the same station. Difference? gatwick express is 30m, regular train is 36 minutes.

Archived