Bringing back tequila from Cozumel?

Turbo6ta

Whenever we would go to Mexican border towns like Nogalas, Juarez, Tijuana, etc, we would always bring back a few bottle of tequila and Kahlua because it was so cheap down in Mexico.

How about on these cruises to Mexico? We are going on a 4 day cruise from Miami to Cozumel .... Is the tequila and Kahlua cheap there too like it is in the US / Mexican border towns?

Can each traveler bring back 2 bottles of alcohol through US Customs?

Does Carnival check your shopping bag for liquor when getting back on the boat from Cozumel?

Thank's

This is from Carnival's FAQ regarding customs allowances for ships NOT traveling to the USVI.

Duty-Free Allowance: All other ship itineraries.

$800 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent.

1 liter of alcohol per person (21 years or older).

Note: On certain itineraries, an additional liter may be purchased.

1 carton of cigarettes containing 200 cigarettes (18 years or older).

100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

I'm not sure how much the duty is on extra alcohol or cigarettes. I do know that the ships have started giving customs an lists of guests onboard purchases.

Bringing alcohol back from shore will probably get confiscated until the last morning of the cruise (sometimes it slips by but not often). I don't know if they confiscate cigarettes or not.

Bringing alcohol back from shore will probably get confiscated until the last morning of the cruise (sometimes it slips by but not often). I don't know if they confiscate cigarettes or not.

Well, it would seem like Carnival has tightened up there rules alot since we last went on a cruise 10 years ago.

I seem to remember back then that they never checked our shopping bag when re-boarding at Cozumel ... just walked back on the ship.

I guess things have changed alot since then ... oh well

Well, it would seem like Carnival has tightened up there rules alot since we last went on a cruise 10 years ago.

I seem to remember back then that they never checked our shopping bag when re-boarding at Cozumel ... just walked back on the ship.

All bags are x rayed upon return, all liquor is held till last night.

We went to Cozumel in May, brought back Tequila, there is a store near the port with samples, there were 3 of us, we debarked with purchases from the ship also, all in all, 7 bottles of liquor, 2 cartons of cigs, claimed it on customs and walked thru customs, no problem.

On Sensation in November, we bought a small bottle of rum and some beers, again scanned our bag upon return to the ship and were again lucky, took it straight back to our cabin. So much for rules. :p

Happy Sailing,

Carnival has changed how they do the boarding when in port. They let a limited amount of people up the gangway, let them clear thru the xray machine, and then send another group up. They have learned that when there is a mob scene in the X-ray area, people will bypass the liquor check-in desk and bring it back to their cabins. Gone are the days of sneaking past the desk.

It's pretty obvious that Carnival is very paranoid about passengers bringing there own liquor on the boat and not buying there high priced drinks.

For me, I don't want to drink the bottles of liquor I buy in Mexico on the boat at all ... I just want to bring it home as a souvenir.

But, if Carnival is going to confiscate bottles of liquor I buy in Mexico, I guess I will just forget the whole idea of buying tequila in Cozumel.

Like I said ... Carnival never used to be that paranoid about all this ... They never had a scanner that I remember either when you got back on the boat.

Oh well

It's pretty obvious that Carnival is very paranoid about passengers bringing there own liquor on the boat and not buying there high priced drinks.

For me, I don't want to drink the bottles of liquor I buy in Mexico on the boat at all ... I just want to bring it home as a souvenir.

But, if Carnival is going to confiscate bottles of liquor I buy in Mexico, I guess I will just forget the whole idea of buying tequila in Cozumel.

Like I said ... Carnival never used to be that paranoid about all this ... They never had a scanner that I remember either when you got back on the boat.

Oh well

If they do end up confiscating bottles you bought in port, they give it back to you on the last night of the cruise.

When I was in Mexico City I bought some unique Tequilla because of the bottle. Came home to the states and found that the one bottle that I paid 15 for is worth 75. The other one that I bought for 26 is worth 120 here in the states. Before we leave next week I am going to the liquor store to check out Tequilla prices to bring stuff home. Great presents. I don't care if they hold it but it is a great place to get really great Tequilla deals.

Oh well

Carnival (as well as other cruiselines) make most of their money through alcohol sales. They are not paranoid, they are watching their bottom line like any other good business. The reason Carnival is at the price point it is is because they do this. If everyone could bring as much liquor on board as they wanted, they would begin to either lose money or make less money. How would they change that? They would increase the price of the cruise which impacts everyone, not just drinkers. As much as we all want to think that Carnival is in business to make us all happy, the bottom like is they are responsible to the share holders.

Oh, and yes you get your liquor back the last night. We always buy Tequila and Rum in the Caribbean as it is much cheaper then the US and more selections than duty free.

Carnival has changed how they do the boarding when in port. They let a limited amount of people up the gangway, let them clear thru the xray machine, and then send another group up. They have learned that when there is a mob scene in the X-ray area, people will bypass the liquor check-in desk and bring it back to their cabins. Gone are the days of sneaking past the desk.

Actually 2 weeks ago on the Magic they scanned my backpack which contained a just purchased bottle of tequila.... they directed me to the liquor check in table, there was a few people there and I didnt feel like waiting, so I looked and the security guys where not looking so I just walked away and took bottle to my cabin.... I didnt intend to open it, just wanted to avoid the hassle... and maybe just a little mischievousness to see if I could get away with it.

Oh well

I don't think it is Carnival being paranoid about liquor - scanners were added to all cruise lines after 9/11. It is the world we now live in.

I was able to get my Licor de Xoconoslte onboard my last cruise.

As I was picking up my bag the security guy asked if there was liquor in the bag. The gal in front of me said, 'I HAVE NO LIQUOR IN MY BAG'. Mom said the place was in confusion, I wouldn't know because I just hightailed it out of there.

We try to buy unusual liquors that (hopefully) we cannot get at home.

Also have a fantastic Chocolate Tequila. So far I can only find both in one store in Ensenada.

Oh, and yes you get your liquor back the last night. We always buy Tequila and Rum in the Caribbean as it is much cheaper then the US and more selections than duty free.

One time DH got the wrong (cheaper) liquor delivered to him.

Last time we checked the liquor I took a pix of it. Paranoid, yes, but mistakes do happen.

Edited by SadieN

One time DH got the wrong (cheaper) liquor delivered to him.

Last time we checked the liquor I took a pix of it. Paranoid, yes, but mistakes do happen.

Yes..Mistakes definately do happen. Last year on the last night I noticed that our liquor never got delivered to our cabin. I called the desk and after a couple of hours, someone called back and started questioning me about what kind, size and where I bought the liquor. Then they called me back about at 1:00 am and told me they were still looking for it. Got a final call at about 5:00 am saying they found it...it was delivered to the wrong cabin. That's why I try to sneak mine to my room. They were all gifts for people at home, but at least I know I have it to take home and not spend my last night on the cruise worrying about where my stuff is.

But yours does get confiscated, make sure when you tell them your cabin #, you watch them right it down on each bottle. They were busy and just asked our cabin # and hadn't even wrapped the bottles when we left.

It's not just the booze they are looking for, on my last cruise we bought some knives as gifts and they checked those for us until we debarked. What I don't like is there is no system to come clean before you go in to the scanner, I knew they would want to check them but I still had to go through the motions and feel like they "caught" me.

I will say this ! I bought a very expensive bottle of bourbon my last cruise 200$ in couzmel ! And carnival took perfect care of it untill last night of cruise but I will admit I bought a pint bottle of rum in jamaica put in my camera bag nothing was said heck I did'nt even remember it untill we returned home and got to Looking for it !! still unopened to this day !! We Just keep it as reminder of jamaica!!!

Speaking from a Galveston port point of view....

I always buy the 5 carton deal on the ship the first night of the cruise. When returning to Galveston I have never declared it. Out of the 6 cruises I have never been questioned. Not that I am trying to sneak anything by, regardless of what people may think, it's just we have a 4 hour drive back to SA and risking it and avoiding any hassle has worked thus far. Cigs prices in Texas haven't got to stupid expensive levels like they are in NY. If we get searched then no worries. It is what it is.

As for booze. We usually always buy something in Coz in the shops you walk through to get back to the ship. We always, without fail, have them in the same bag they give you at the store where we bought them when we enter the ship. We are always told to hand them over at the table ahead of us. Granted neither of us drink liquor, well rarely, and are only buying them as gifts for others or a special item for our bar at home. Don't get me wrong, I dominate beer onboard and at home but it is only beer. Anyway, we have zero problem with them taking said booze and giving it back on the last day. However, several times there has been a line at the 'turn in' table so we just walked right by. Trust me, we didn't open said booze nor tried to hide it. We already know there is going to be a HUGE line for a elevator and not real fans of stairs so avoiding the check-in booze line is worth it. If they call us back, no worries. It has happened.

As for the shops onboard, we will usually buy one of those extra large bottles. The Crown Royal 3 liter bottle for example. There is just something about having a 3 liter bottle of Crown when friends come over. Yep, they are like *** where did you get that? What did you pay for that? We have never claimed these large bottles, only one per cruise, and have yet to have a problem.

Someone will have a problem with what I just said but it is what it is. I bring it on the ship in plain sight and I don't control customs.

There are some deals to be had on Tequila in Cozumel, but you really need to know your prices and availability of what you can get back home. Common items, I find to be a bit inflated. I usually start at one end of Melgar and wander in and out of each shop. The shop keepers were a bit aggressive in trying to get you in their shops last week, so brace yourself.

I've never had any issues getting my purchases back at the end of the cruise. And yes, occasionally small bottles have been forgotten to be left at the collection table. It happens. (Shrug).