Princess Wine Bottle Package Availability

IECalCruiser

This looks great. A search did not show the Royal Princess wine list. Are they all the same fleetwide? Anyone know where i can find it? Any reports on the Royal doing this package?
The wine list is the same fleet wide, but apparently because Vines is adjacent to Sabatini's, a selection of Super Tuscans has been added to the Royal wine selection.

I did find it thanks so much!

Im shocked that they only have (1) dessert wine, and no ports, or "red" dessert wines.

There is a selection of dessert wines and other after-dinner drinks on the dessert menu. They are sold by the glass and are not on the regular wine list.

• 4 weeks later...
The packages were available on the May 20, 2013, sailing of the Grand Princess. On this 10-day voyage, only the 7- or 10- day packages were offered.

BTW, when we checked in for the cruise at Pier 35, there was a table just after the X-ray machines where carry-on bottles were being inspected and cabin numbers recorded (1 750-ml bottle free per adult, 2 750-ml bottles total free per cabin). We did not have more than the limit, so we cannot comment on how bottles above the limit were being handled as far as a corkage fee being paid or the bottles being marked. Our bottles were not marked.

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $335 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

Hi Carolyn -

We were going to bring 12 bottles on bord with us and pay the corkage fee, but this sounds like a much better deal than lugging a heavy case of wine. However, I can't find it on the princess web site to order it. Is it only something they offer once on board, or can you prepay the package before you leave? (its not on the gift form, only single bottles of wine, beer packages and soda packages are there.)

Hi Carolyn -

We were going to bring 12 bottles on bord with us and pay the corkage fee, but this sounds like a much better deal than lugging a heavy case of wine. However, I can't find it on the princess web site to order it. Is it only something they offer once on board, or can you prepay the package before you leave? (its not on the gift form, only single bottles of wine, beer packages and soda packages are there.)

Never mind, I had originally linked to your single post when trying to find the wine package info. Later I did a search and found this entire thread which answered my question - go to the dining room the first night and order the package (if it is on my 15 day STar to Hawaii).

Never mind, I had originally linked to your single post when trying to find the wine package info. Later I did a search and found this entire thread which answered my question - go to the dining room the first night and order the package (if it is on my 15 day STar to Hawaii).

Others have reported that there is a table set up by Horizon Court on embarkation day that handles sales of the wine package and other things.

Others have reported that there is a table set up by Horizon Court on embarkation day that handles sales of the wine package and other things.

That's where it was on our just completed Caribbean Princess cruise - it wasn't advertised anywhere and no one mentioned it in the MDR at embarkation lunch. We felt it was well worth it. We purchased the 10 day Gold package for our 12 day cruise and were very happy with the red wines we chose and the money we saved with the package.

We were on the Star last February, Buenos Aires to Los Angeles for 30 days and the wine package wasn't available which I posted to CruiseCritic at the time. When I was contacted by the Beverage Manager he indicated it was a supply problem.

Wine is put aboard Princess ships from American ports, not foreign ones. So the ship has to have enough wine to last for it's "season" wherever in the world that may be. So for example when they first start a season in China etc. but the ship sailed from an American port, they are fully stocked. By the end of the season, that may be running short before they come back to the US. Ships leaving regularly from American ports (longer than 10 days) should have the package because they can be restocked each week.

He was hoping, and I've never seen any followup that Princess would start sourcing local wines from some of the ports they visit. When visiting South America or Europe wine is great and could help fill in. But so far they haven't done that.

So there is no consistency as to when it will be offered...

Norm

You will be even more surprised on your next Princess cruise as the position of sommelier is being eliminated (again) by Princess.

Caribbean Princess had a sommelier on board last week. We didn't use him or attend the wine tastings but he was very handy :D acting as the mc for the culinary demonstration and introducing a singing waiter (who was wonderful) during two different dinners.

When you buy the wine package is the wine only available in the dining room? Could you take a partial bottle or a unopened bottle back to your cabin to drink on the balcony?

Trikeman I am looking for that answer also. Hope someone has the answer.

It has been stated on this (or another) thread that you can indeed take any unused wine back to your cabin. My question is .... Can you get a full bottle delivered to your cabin under this program?

It has been stated on this (or another) thread that you can indeed take any unused wine back to your cabin. My question is .... Can you get a full bottle delivered to your cabin under this program?
You don't get the bottle delivered, you take it with you from the DR. Room Service is not part of the Wine Bottle package, nor is Vines.

Frank, The Vines info is second hand. I believe it is correct, but I never tried on the Island. We did bring bottles from the DR to our cabin.

That makes to me because it's not available at any bar so not having it at Vines isn't a big surprise. It won't be long before we can post 1st hand knowledge. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

You don't get the bottle delivered, you take it with you from the DR. Room Service is not part of the Wine Bottle package, nor is Vines.

Question DOes the Horizon Court Count as a DR?- Don't I remember reading that you can get the wine in the Horizon Court, so theoritically, if you wanted a bottle for you room you could just pop in there and order it, and take it back to your room.

(The DH and I plan on bringing a bottle each for consumption in our room as we get ready in the evening, but I'm not sure 2 bottles are going to last us through a 15 days cruise :D)

Question DOes the Horizon Court Count as a DR?- Don't I remember reading that you can get the wine in the Horizon Court, so theoritically, if you wanted a bottle for you room you could just pop in there and order it, and take it back to your room.

(The DH and I plan on bringing a bottle each for consumption in our room as we get ready in the evening, but I'm not sure 2 bottles are going to last us through a 15 days cruise :D)

We did not personally get a bottle on the HC but others have posted the package being offered for sale there. I assume, but can't personally confirm that you can use the package there also.

We did not personally get a bottle on the HC but others have posted the package being offered for sale there. I assume, but can't personally confirm that you can use the package there also.

We tried to get one of our open bottles brought to the HC from traditional dining room one night, but they couldn't find it. Make sure you know your TD table number if you're trying to get an open bottle. They offered to get us a new bottle, so I think it's no different than any other restaurant in that respect. If you have your punch card, they can get you wine or you can buy a package at that time.

We tried to get one of our open bottles brought to the HC from traditional dining room one night, but they couldn't find it. Make sure you know your TD table number if you're trying to get an open bottle. They offered to get us a new bottle, so I think it's no different than any other restaurant in that respect. If you have your punch card, they can get you wine or you can buy a package at that time.
Thanks for the confirmation. We bought a bottle at the Bayou Cafe with the package and they found it for us the next night in the AT dining room. We have also had bottles opened in Sabatini's and the Crown Grill brought to out table the next night in the AT dining room. In 2011 when they still allowed you to bring magnums on board we opened a bottle the first night in Sabatini's and they had the hardest time finding it the next night. A magnum is not that hard to miss :eek: I told them to look for the large bottle and we finally get it :) Edited by IECalCruiser

• 4 months later...
Are the wine packages on every ship? We are on the Emerald (10 days) in March, can we buy a package.

That is what Princess has said but it has not always been true on my cruises. They said if wine inventory is insufficient they will not offer the package. That has happened to me on 12 (Med) & 18 (TA) day cruises...not enough wine in Europe? :(

I plan to use the package from Buenos Aires to LA & hope they have sufficient inventory to offer the wine package.

Edited by Astro Flyer