Another San Juan Flight Question...

CourtneyMcP2012

I will be sailing on the Canival Valor out of San Juan on May 5th.

My main concern is the day we fly home May 12th. After searching around I found that we will be the only ship in port that day. I was wondering if anyone has done this or thinks it is possible to make a 10:29 flight with Jet Blue?

Our ship says it comes in at 7:00 AM. I would do self disembark if thats possible.

It seems every thread i search for on this subject states the airport is a zoo with SO many ships in port but thankfully we are the only ones that day. Suggestions? Taking a later flight it possible BUT I would like to be home (Maine) by 8 that night as we are all planning on work the next day.

My main concern is the day we fly home May 12th. After searching around I found that we will be the only ship in port that day. I was wondering if anyone has done this or thinks it is possible to make a 10:29 flight with Jet Blue?

Our ship says it comes in at 7:00 AM. I would do self disembark if thats possible.

It seems every thread i search for on this subject states the airport is a zoo with SO many ships in port but thankfully we are the only ones that day. Suggestions? Taking a later flight it possible BUT I would like to be home (Maine) by 8 that night as we are all planning on work the next day.

I have done that itinerary 2 times and both times we were in port and cleared to leave before 7:00 am. I think it is entirely do able to make that flight time.... but there are times that things get mucked up... just not very often. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

We did this cruise in Feb 2012 (our 25th anv) and had a 10:40 am flight and made it with no problem. We self embarked and were off the ship and to the airport in 20 minutes. Then we had to wait for 2 hours. We are also on the Valor sailing 5/5/13. We are taking our children age 19 and 20 this time. We enjoyed it so much and can't wait to go back again.:)

We did this cruise in Feb 2012 (our 25th anv) and had a 10:40 am flight and made it with no problem. We self embarked and were off the ship and to the airport in 20 minutes. Then we had to wait for 2 hours. We are also on the Valor sailing 5/5/13. We are taking our children age 19 and 20 this time. We enjoyed it so much and can't wait to go back again.:)

I am SO looking forward to this cruise! (We are expecting a big storm this weekend :mad:)We are a group of 9 and have 2-20 year olds traveling with us. Have you gone over and joined our roll call?

I'd give you a 90+% chance of making it.

However, what's your backup plan?

The later flight will be full, therefore, the airline won't put you on that flight. They won't put you on a competitors flight. You'd have to spend the night on your dime, hotels, meals, etc. until you could get open seats.

You'll probably spend the last 48 hours of your vacation stressing if you'll make your flight or not.

My main concern is the day we fly home May 12th. After searching around I found that we will be the only ship in port that day. I was wondering if anyone has done this or thinks it is possible to make a 10:29 flight with Jet Blue?Our ship says it comes in at 7:00 AM. I would do self disembark if thats possible.

Hi Courtney: I'm a "neighbor" in New Hampshire. This post got my curiosity as I have been to San Juan before. Have always flown out on Monday just not to be stressed at the end of vacation. Have you considered USAIR out of Portland or Manchester? You would have a connection in Charlotte or Philly and I bet USAIR will beat the Jet Blue cost. Just my suggestion. Enjoy the Southern Caribbean route.

panama

Even with no other ships in port that day, I think you'd be cutting it close. I know it would be nice to be home early, but if something went wrong and you didn't make that flight, you'd be home the following day after paying for your own hotel, meals and taxi, plus the additional cost to be put on another flight the following day. If the ship came in on time and you got right to the airport, through the agricultural inspection, airline check-in and security lines without much delay, you would probably make it. I'd give you about an 80% chance of making it. I personally would take a later flight so I wouldn't spend the last part of the vacation stressing over making the flight.

Hi Courtney: I'm a "neighbor" in New Hampshire. This post got my curiosity as I have been to San Juan before. Have always flown out on Monday just not to be stressed at the end of vacation. Have you considered USAIR out of Portland or Manchester? You would have a connection in Charlotte or Philly and I bet USAIR will beat the Jet Blue cost. Just my suggestion. Enjoy the Southern Caribbean route.

panama

We are looking into USAIR as well, seems the flights down and return both go through philly and i am NOT a fan of philly. :rolleyes: Seems EVERYTIME i go through there either a bag gets lost or we almost miss a flight. I was debating on maybe taking Jet Blue down and USAIR return at that leaves around 12 i believe and gets in about 7. I really wont be to upset about missing my beach gear for a couple of days in may if it takes a diffrent route in philly.

Hi Courtney !...

Another fellow New Englander here.

I'm curious if you are flying in the day of the Cruise, since it has a late departure...

And, which airport do you fly out of ?

Thanks !

Hi fellowing New Englander! Hope you have your shovels ready for tomorrow night :D

We are looking at flying out of Portland,ME on saturday morning 6AM flight so we could enjoy about a day and a half in San Juan before the cruise.

I looked into flying out a Boston or Manchester ( we are in westen maine so they are both about 3 hours) but the price wasnt much cheaper then portland and it is a longer car ride.

Im in Boston flying AA there (5:30am, arrives 12:20 in PR w/ stop in Miami) and Delta back, thru JFK, leaves SJU at 1:30pm, arrives in BOS 8:30pm.

RT cost $245 without bags (another $50 per bag..$25 each way) :)

Cant wait for 5 feet of snow!!!!

Im in Boston flying AA there (5:30am, arrives 12:20 in PR w/ stop in Miami) and Delta back, thru JFK, leaves SJU at 1:30pm, arrives in BOS 8:30pm.

RT cost $245 without bags (another $50 per bag..$25 each way) :)

Cant wait for 5 feet of snow!!!!

WOW! That is a pretty good deal. Guess i will be checking more airline options tomorrow :rolleyes:

I am NOT a snow lover up here but we live near a ski resort so i guess its good for them. Although i believe you all are supposed to get more then even us! Good luck, drive safe and if all else fails sit inside and look at pictures from cruise reviews to warm you up:D

WOW! That is a pretty good deal. Guess i will be checking more airline options tomorrow :rolleyes:

I am NOT a snow lover up here but we live near a ski resort so i guess its good for them. Although i believe you all are supposed to get more then even us! Good luck, drive safe and if all else fails sit inside and look at pictures from cruise reviews to warm you up:D

Yes, I plan on reading lots of reviews Friday night / Saturday! (and I meant to write 2 feet of snow, not 5 !!!

I use Kayak.com and price one ways, then compare with RT (then book directly through the airline websites). Takes a few extra minutes, but worth it to save $$$ !!!

I was debating on maybe taking Jet Blue down and USAIR return at that leaves around 12 i believe and gets in about 7. I really wont be to upset about missing my beach gear for a couple of days in may if it takes a diffrent route in philly.

That sounds like a reasonable alternative. Split the flights into two one-ways.

( We live like 3 miles from the Manchester airport. Manchester is getting "pricey".

By taking the bus to Logan we usually save more than $50 per ticket)

Again, enjoy the Southern Caribbean route. It beats the two feet of white stuff we are expecting on Friday of this week

panama

I've flown in and out of San Juan 4x's and have never had a problem getting off the ship and thru the airport easily. The security lines do get quite long, but the earlier you get there, the shorter they are.

My sister and I did the self-debark, breezed thru customs, quickly grabbed a cab, got to the airport, got my tickets (which you should print the day before on the ship, if possible to speed the process), went thru the agriculture inspection (a must), thru security, and was sitting at our gate at 9 am.

I would definitely risk the earlier flight if possible. I think between 11 and noon is ideal, but if you don't encounter any snags you should be fine. You could always spend an extra twenty-some dollars on flight insurance to cover any extra costs if you don't make the plane, but I'm betting you will.

I am SO looking forward to this cruise! (We are expecting a big storm this weekend :mad:)We are a group of 9 and have 2-20 year olds traveling with us. Have you gone over and joined our roll call?

Yes we have joined the roll call.

I think it's doable, but that's if everything goes smoothly.

Definately print your boarding passes the night before. Be at the internet desk before 10pm the night before, even tho it's open 24 hours, the printer (and worker) are only available until 10pm. Live and learn :p

The next morning be up and ready early for self disembark. This is really important, because the longer you stay on the ship, the longer the line grows outside where you collect your luggage and go through customs. It took us almost an hour just to collect our baggage after we got off the ship and go through customs, we had zone 8.

After you collect your luggage, grab a taxi and go to the airport. When you get there, get a porter to help you. While my DH went with the porter to agricultural inspection, I went to the airline desk to check us in. It's really important to get a porter because he just zips around and knows what to do and moves you along quickly.

On the day we left San Juan, it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving, the busiest travel day of the year, but there was no line whatsoever at the TSA podium so we breezed right though and were at our gate. We left the ship say 9:30am and we were sitting at the gate by 11am. We had 1:30pm flights and we were sitting with another couple flying to Detroit but their flight didn't leave until 4pm. She was so stressed that they would be sitting in the airport all day (they took Carnival transportation).

• 3 weeks later...

I know this has been stated but I'm a little nervous about flying out of San Juan. Would I be safe with booking a 1:40pm flight? I don't want the stress of rushing to the airport but I also do not want to sit at the airport for hours waiting for my flight. Though, I'd rather book the later flight and wait than have something go wrong and miss our flight. Also, I have purchased Post-Cruise Transportation through Carnival.

I know this has been stated but I'm a little nervous about flying out of San Juan. Would I be safe with booking a 1:40pm flight? I don't want the stress of rushing to the airport but I also do not want to sit at the airport for hours waiting for my flight. Though, I'd rather book the later flight and wait than have something go wrong and miss our flight. Also, I have purchased Post-Cruise Transportation through Carnival.

I would definately book the 1:40pm flight. We had a 1:30pm flight, we had breakfast in the MDR that morning, then around 9:30am made our way to the terminal to collect our bags and go through customs. We were out by 10:30am and on our way to the airport. After inspections and checking in, we were sitting at the gate by 11:30am. There were people sitting nearby waiting for a 3:50pm flight and they were bored out of their minds, cursing that they took the Carnival shuttle that got them there so early.

If you have a 3:40pm flight, I suggest going on an excursion or doing something during the day, otherwise you could be spending 4 or 5 hours sitting around an airport.

I'm on the June 30th sailing, have a 2:40 pm flight back on United, so I feel pretty safe with that flight time. However, I'm extremely envious of y'all getting ~$250 fares! I paid around $600 for mine (Houston-San Juan nonstop) on United, USAir was around $550 with a connection in Philly. It didn't make sense to me to fly north to go south. So, consider yourself lucky!

Archived