San Francisco One Day walking tour help

MTL=CRUISEFAMILY

Need help planning our day in San Francisco

Specifically what streets we should stick to while hitting the spots we want to visit

We love architecture and historical areas, restos and shops

We start our day at Ghirardelli sqare

Fisharmans wharf/pier 39

North Beach

Chinatown

Ferry bldg

Union Square

Civic center/area

Alamo Square

Any other suggestions welcomed

Specifically what streets we should stick to while hitting the spots we want to visit

Fisharmans wharf/pier 39

North Beach

Chinatown

Ferry bldg

Union Square

Civic center/area

Alamo Square

Take one of the HOHO busses:

http://www.city-sightseeing.us/

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/sanfrancisco/custompage.aspx?id=tour_of_san_francisco&gclid=

Fisharmans wharf/pier 39

North Beach

Chinatown

Ferry bldg

Union Square

Civic center/area

Alamo Square

If you love architecture and history, you owe it to yourself to get out to the Exploratorium/aka Palace of Fine Arts. The building itself is an impressive relic from a worlds fair. Nearby is the presidio and many of the residential streets near by have beautiful homes. If you're particularly fit, its easily walkable from the pier (did this myself last year).

If you love architecture and history, you owe it to yourself to get out to the Exploratorium/aka Palace of Fine Arts. The building itself is an impressive relic from a worlds fair. Nearby is the presidio and many of the residential streets near by have beautiful homes. If you're particularly fit, its easily walkable from the pier (did this myself last year).

excellent suggestion

thanks

these are famous...because of their background... there are other houses that look just as great.

I would look at the historic preservation society website..but just off the top of my head..

in cow hallow/marina is the octagon house from 1860's (open on limited basis), nearby on franklin street is the Lillenthal House..a typical middle class victorian..that is open weds and sundays. walk east down the filbert steps from coit tower..through the gardens and the 1850's cottages on telegraph hill.

other fine buildings are st patricks church on mission and 4th..for the tiffany windows (south of market), old st. mary's in chinatown, the old pacific telephone company lobby on new montgomery...and also in the south of market is the Palace Hotel..survived the great fire of 1906.

victorians are common above cow hallow..along broadway...pacific heights and in the haight..panhandle and golden gate park.

these are famous...because of their background... there are other houses that look just as great.

I would look at the historic preservation society website..but just off the top of my head..

in cow hallow/marina is the octagon house from 1860's (open on limited basis), nearby on franklin street is the Lillenthal House..a typical middle class victorian..that is open weds and sundays. walk east down the filbert steps from coit tower..through the gardens and the 1850's cottages on telegraph hill.

other fine buildings are st patricks church on mission and 4th..for the tiffany windows (south of market), old st. mary's in chinatown, the old pacific telephone company lobby on new montgomery...and also in the south of market is the Palace Hotel..survived the great fire of 1906.

victorians are common above cow hallow..along broadway...pacific heights and in the haight..panhandle and golden gate park.

Thank you ..just what I needed

NNA mentioning St. Patrick church reminded me....there are many beautiful old churches in SF. A couple of my favorites are Old St. Mary (a catholic church in Chinatown) and Grace Cathedral (episcopal church that is breathtaking). If churches are interesting to you, you really could spend a whole day touring them in SF!

Hello! I see your list here and it's a great starter list but it's going to be rough walking all of that distance. You can definitely walk over to Pier 39 and then to Fishermans Wharf and then to Ghiradelli Square. From there I would go on that tour bus someone supplied a link to OR I would rent one of these little yellow cars and drive around. Its called GoCar and they are GPS driven so you go at your own pace and it tells you where to go. http://www.gocartours.com

This way you can drive down Columbus and visit Washington Square (the heart of North Beach). If you can get there before noon there is a fabulous focaccia shop called the Liguria Bakery. It is on the North East corner of the square with a blue awning. On the same street is St. Peter and Paul cathedral. Stunning. They usually sell out by noon so get there early and you'll thank me later.

IF you want to venture into china town you can go down a few blocks along Columbus and make a right on Washington and go to Grant st. Good luck. If you skip china town continue on Washington and then you can make a left on Powell and head right into the shopping district of SF and Union Square.

From Union Square, head West on Geary all the way to Polk and hang a left. Head down to Civic Center. If you're lucky there won't be some sort of protest going on so you can enjoy the area and City Hall.

From City Hall, Grove is on the south side of the building and head west and that will take you directly into Alamo Square. By now time will be getting short on time, so head north on Steiner and go all the way to Chestnut street. You're in the heart of the Marina district. Stop into a restaurant and browse the cool shops and bars. Head back to Fisherman's Wharf by following Chestnut all the way back but make a quick right on Hyde for 1 block and now your at the Famous curvy section of Lombard. Maneuver your way down the street and make a left at Levansworth to get you back to the wharf.

If you motor through these destinations, you can see more but try to not rush. Also, the ferry building is nice for locals because of the farmers markets but in my opinion, not worth the stop there. The stores there are mostly food related and there are a few dining options. Id say maybe 10-15 stores. Overrated and expensive.

Hope this helps!

Hello! I see your list here and it's a great starter list but it's going to be rough walking all of that distance. You can definitely walk over to Pier 39 and then to Fishermans Wharf and then to Ghiradelli Square. From there I would go on that tour bus someone supplied a link to OR I would rent one of these little yellow cars and drive around. Its called GoCar and they are GPS driven so you go at your own pace and it tells you where to go. http://www.gocartours.com

This way you can drive down Columbus and visit Washington Square (the heart of North Beach). If you can get there before noon there is a fabulous focaccia shop called the Liguria Bakery. It is on the North East corner of the square with a blue awning. On the same street is St. Peter and Paul cathedral. Stunning. They usually sell out by noon so get there early and you'll thank me later.

IF you want to venture into china town you can go down a few blocks along Columbus and make a right on Washington and go to Grant st. Good luck. If you skip china town continue on Washington and then you can make a left on Powell and head right into the shopping district of SF and Union Square.

From Union Square, head West on Geary all the way to Polk and hang a left. Head down to Civic Center. If you're lucky there won't be some sort of protest going on so you can enjoy the area and City Hall.

From City Hall, Grove is on the south side of the building and head west and that will take you directly into Alamo Square. By now time will be getting short on time, so head north on Steiner and go all the way to Chestnut street. You're in the heart of the Marina district. Stop into a restaurant and browse the cool shops and bars. Head back to Fisherman's Wharf by following Chestnut all the way back but make a quick right on Hyde for 1 block and now your at the Famous curvy section of Lombard. Maneuver your way down the street and make a left at Levansworth to get you back to the wharf.

If you motor through these destinations, you can see more but try to not rush. Also, the ferry building is nice for locals because of the farmers markets but in my opinion, not worth the stop there. The stores there are mostly food related and there are a few dining options. Id say maybe 10-15 stores. Overrated and expensive.

Hope this helps!

Wow....Awesome, thanks

we may do part of the day by car, depending on all the sights

your info will really help establish a route and timeline

I would take one of the HOHO buses. You can get a great look into the city. I would not recommend driving in the city as there are a lot of one way streets and not too many places to park. If you take the bus you can avoid some of the hills and save your energy for sightseeing vs walking to get from pt a to b.

Protip: The Exploratorium moved. It's now at Pier 15.

Archived