Thinking about a forward PH???

TSUmom

We are currently booked in an aft PH, SF for our upcoming Jewel cruise. We love the aft but I am also curious about the fwd PH's, the SE's. We really enjoy the balcony and spend our evenings out on them. I am afraid it will be windier than we would like but the views would be awesome. Of course the wake is beautiful too!! I have read posts about the wind not being bad if you are sitting but we are used to zero wind aft. I see that they are larger, not just the balcony but the staterooms themselves.

Those that have cruised in both please give me your thoughts on which you preferred and why. Thank you for any input.

We're huge fans of aft PHs but are giving a Forward PH a try for our upcoming POA cruise (because DH insisted that we needed a hot tub since this was our anniversary cruise - LOL!). I'll definitely report back on our experience, but I look forward to reading what others have to say as well!

I had a forward penthouse on the Star in August and am trying an aft penthouse onthe Gem in July. I loved the forward room. The deck is HUGE and although you do not have total privacy, it did not bother me. It is very windy at night while at sea and you cannot have the balcony lights on at all. We were often called by the bridge to close our drapes at night (they were always already closed) and a few times they did not believe us and actually came to our room to verify. On the last night they asked us to actually turn off our cabins main lights. It was annoying, but I would still book the room again. Some people find the balcony door difficult to deal with (it is a steel door with a wheel to open) but I sort of liked it. It felt very shiplike. I do hope I will not be disappointed with the balcony in the aft - the Star was my first cruise and I fear I am spoiled for life. I am not sure if the rooms up front are actually larger,I thought the difference was just the deck. I did notice that the penthouse next to me had an extra bump out for their room that mine did not have. Looks like a bigger room with a little balcony space sacrificed. But still a huge balcony.

Hope this helps.

We have done both forward and aft and would never go back to forward. The comment about zero wind is pretty well correct.

Our first aft was Alaska cruise on the Star end of season so mid Sept.and we were on the balcony morning noon and night taking in the scenery and because no wind you just took the layers off as the day warmed up.

Our last cruise we were in an aft PH. On one of the sea days the wind hitting us from behind was very noticeable on our balcony. The funny part was later when I got to the front of the ship on the top deck and stood there facing forward - there was almost no wind. Seemed strange to be cruising along with no wind in your face.

So I guess it can also depend on what direction the breeze is blowing.

I sailed the forward penthouse on the Sun, Pearl, Jewel, and Star. I sailed stern balcony or mini suite (not penthouse) on Gem, Pearl, and Epic. I do not mind the wind at all and the times I selected the forward penthouse, it was Caribbean islands and each were very near the other so little wind if smooth seas sailing during evenings. Lots of people love the aft for the no wind...but I am not a fan of the ships' wake noise. Also, I am the type who would rather see where I am going rather than where I have been.

Best wishes on your selection!

coka

I sailed the forward penthouse on the Sun, Pearl, Jewel, and Star. I sailed stern balcony or mini suite (not penthouse) on Gem, Pearl, and Epic. I do not mind the wind at all and the times I selected the forward penthouse, it was Caribbean islands and each were very near the other so little wind if smooth seas sailing during evenings. Lots of people love the aft for the no wind...but I am not a fan of the ships' wake noise. Also, I am the type who would rather see where I am going rather than where I have been.

Best wishes on your selection!

coka

I'm with Coka on this one! Wouldn't trade my forward suite for anything...well, except for a Haven suite!! :o I've been forward for Alaska, the Bahamas and the Canada/New England.... My favorite being Alaska!

We were just on the Star, Forward Penthouse and saw an aft PH as part of the cabin crawl. The forward cabin did seem much larger, as we were in 10000, which has the bumpout. A little less balcony, but still plenty. It was windy and there was a whistling wind noise until my husband lifted the hallway door, which seem to move the seal. In addition, when you open the balcony door, the ceiling tiles move. There was also a bit more motion up front.That said, I loved the view and the size and would book again in a heartbeat.

Either way, have a great trip!

What are you waiting for? Get an SE Penthouse!!:D The ONLY time we had problem with the wind in 2 weeks was when a storm was coming. We spent a lot of time out there and loved every minute of it. Give me a forward over an aft anytime, in my opinion. I know others will disagree. How can you join in the friendly banter if you don't try one out? Have fun!!:cool:

We were in 10502 on the Star thru the Panama Canal. Its the best seat in the house. Large deck will hold 10-20 people.

I remember, the ceiling tiles will rattle when you open the door. If it is windy at nite, you willl hear the wind whistling thru the door. It has the huge water-tight doors.

You do need to keep your curtains closed at nite, for the bridge above.

DW is sun sensitive, there is hardly any shade, but we had our butler find an umbrella for her, so she would not burn.

For the canal, or Alaska, it would be a great choice. If you are out in the middle of the ocean, its okay.

We are trying an Aft Suite on our next Caribbean cruise, never had an aft cabin before, so we have to try that.

It does have its pluses and minuses, but something new to try. And its a SUITE!!!!;)

Aft PH has windows over about 60% of the rear wall making for great views all the time. Very bright room. On the front window is 25% of wall so view from inside is not as nice nor as bright. Aft its easy to get out, front you have heavy steel door. Front can be windy and no shade. You do meet your neighbors up front. Pulling into port is better. For the canal the front is best.

Ok, I appreciate all of the input. I am always up for trying something new. I do love the aft and the wake but I am leaning toward changing to the forward PH. We will be in the Caribbean, Belize and Honduras, so I am pretty sure the weather will be warm ;) I only worry about the whole light thing and keeping the curtains closed. I sure don't want them to come down from the bridge to tell me, I would feel like a child being scolded...:o Thank you to all and I will call my PCC today:D

We were often called by the bridge to close our drapes at night (they were always already closed) and a few times they did not believe us and actually came to our room to verify. On the last night they asked us to actually turn off our cabins main lights.

This is actually very important to them. The forward Penthouses are just below the bridge, and light from them at night can make it very difficult for the bridge crew to see out their windows. If you want safety, you should comply with it. If you don't want to comply, I'd suggest taking an aft Penthouse, so it's not an inconvenience for you. But I wouldn't be upset by the bridge crew asking for this, since it is a safety factor for the entire ship.

DML

I did always comply with the drape requirements and my drapes were alwys closed before dark. The butler or steward always made sure of it. I totally understood that it was a safety issue and did what I was asked but the interuptions were annoying. NCL should perhaps think about putting different drapes that are better at keeping the light in. That said, I would book the same cabin again in a heartbeat if I could. It was a minor annoyance but the cabin and deck were worth it. I am just trying to let people know the pros and cons.

I have stayed in both. Forward is great for the Canal and it does have a huge Deck but I love the Aft because the Wake is so great to look at. I am on the Pearl Aft in Sept. I had the Owners Suite on the Pearl and the Jewel and that is the greatest Cabin because it has two Balconeys. Enjoy:D:D:D

Archived