Information ? ~Legend Feb 23rd

Martita B.

I believe that Andrew Peddar is the other captain on the Legend and last I heard David E is back on board as the CD. Last week on the Spirit, we were docked with the Legend at St. Kitts. It was fun watching the crew greeting old friends and former colleagues on the pier.

Martita, this is off topic, but on our Spirit sailing, we dined with Captain Bathgate. When the subject came up of the possible selling off of the little sisters, he asked where I was getting my information. When I told him about Cruise Critic, his response was "has Martita been posting again?" ;););)

That is SOOO funny! Master David and I are super good friends.....he's an excellent Captain and a great guy! We've had many fun Seabourn dinners/times!

I did learn Captain "Stig" (former Quest Staff Capt.) will be Mastering the Legend Feb. 23rd ~~another grrrreat Captain and personality! I have not known or sailed with the CD or the HotMan who will be aboard Feb 23rd.

MB

We're taking our first Seabourn cruise a few weeks on the Legend. One of the reasons I've been wanting to try Seabourn all these years stems from reading the delightful missives of Miss Martita B. What a great good-will ambassador! Indeed, it seems that the "secret" to Seabourn is not just the beautiful ships and outstanding service, but the caliber of so many of the sailors who call the ships their home at sea.

I believe that Andrew Peddar is the other captain on the Legend and last I heard David E is back on board as the CD. Last week on the Spirit, we were docked with the Legend at St. Kitts. It was fun watching the crew greeting old friends and former colleagues on the pier.

Just wondered if you can tell us who is Hotel Manager and Maitre d' on the Spirit at the moment please

I would also be interested to know if you went on any of Seabourn's excursions in the Caribbean and/or you can recommend any particular things to do in the ports of call.

Many thanks

I hope your HotMan is the Daniel Putzhammer whom we were lucky enough to sail with on the Spirit in Nov/Dec. He is a true, caring professional.Our Maitre'd was switching over from Bogie(going to the big ships) to a newer guy(whose name I am sorry I have forgotten). He seemed fine -- just a little unseasoned and unsure of himself. We also had Captain Stig -- I remember when he was a Staff Captain -- he seemed ok but not as visible to the passengers as some Captain's with whom we have sailed.But since we did not experience any engine room fires( don't you feel sorry for those carnival passengers -- especially the one with interior cabins?) or run ground he was clearly doing his most important jobs. And if Martha gives him her seal of approval that counts for a lot.

Capt. Stig is a very tall/huge fellow....with deep dimples! A'lit shy but lots of fun and has a marvelous sense of humor~ ~He and his wife have a sweet little boy and I always take Stig a "brown/white blow up" horse ~wearing a Texas bandana and Sheriff's badge ~horse is always named "Git a'long." Capt. saves the horse in his cabin until his son boards.......but I really think the Bridge Boy's play with "Git a'long" like they do the white rats I've taken to the Captains.....all named "Rolands" now all 6 Seabourn ships have Rolands in their Bridges! Some ships have 2 Rolands.....1st cousins, I guess :D One Captain's dinner the Chef, Maitre 'D and I served the Master of the vessel a "Roland" on a lovely bed of herbs at his hosted Captains dinner!! Forgot just who the Capt. was.....but he loved the prank ~as did everyone in the dining room! We Seabournites do like to make fun memories!:eek:

Martita B

Scalawag

Just wondered if you can tell us who is Hotel Manager and Maitre d' on the Spirit at the moment please

I would also be interested to know if you went on any of Seabourn's excursions in the Caribbean and/or you can recommend any particular things to do in the ports of call.

Many thanks

Our hotel manager on the Spirit was indeed Daniel Putzhammer (very discreet and professional). The Maitre d' was Alvin or Altin, who was also professional. Our very FAVORITE assistant Maitre d', Anthony, we had just missed, he is scheduled to return at the end of this week.

We did not schedule any excursions as my husband came down with the flu on day 2 so we took it easy the first 7 days (St martin - Barbados) and enjoyed the beach stops from Barbados back to St Martin. We did enjoy the botanical gardens in Deshaies, Guadeloupe. 6€ per person by taxi and 15.50€ pp entry to the park. The ship offers this as an excursion for 105$ pp with a quick beach stop afterwards. The taxi is really easy to take on your own, but be sure to take euros. If you are in transit in St Martin, we had taken the Catamaran and Snorkeling excursion a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It is much more expensive than the Catamaran and Snorkeling trip in Antigua (which we had also taken in 2011) but the 2 experiences are night and day. I would do them both again. If you are in transit in Barbados, I definately recommend choosing one of the many offered excursions as it is a Sunday and everything is closed in town and on board they empty the pools and jacuzzis.

Hope this helps, have a great time!!

Glad you agree about Daniel.Yes, yes, it was Altin who took over when Bogie left the ship in Lisbon. And Anthony is wonderful -- we have cruised with him on numerous occasions. Then of course their is my favorite whom I hope Martha's friends are lucky enough to cruise with -- Warren Kree -- lately hanging out in R2 at night.

We did enjoy the botanical gardens in Deshaies, Guadeloupe. 6€ per person by taxi and 15.50€ pp entry to the park. The ship offers this as an excursion for 105$ pp with a quick beach stop afterwards. The taxi is really easy to take on your own, but be sure to take euros. If you are in transit in St Martin, we had taken the Catamaran and Snorkeling excursion a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It is much more expensive than the Catamaran and Snorkeling trip in Antigua (which we had also taken in 2011) but the 2 experiences are night and day. I would do them both again. Hope this helps, have a great time!!

Many thanks Les Picantins.

We were hoping to do the Botanical Gardens in Deshaies on our own but weren't sure whether taxis would be easily available at the pier. Just so that we are prepared, was the fare 12 euros for two each way or 6 euros for 2 each way?

We will be in transit in St Maarten and my husband has his eye on that catamaran trip. It is $189 per person, so expensive. Would be interested to know what you particularly enjoyed about it.

Thank you so much for your help.:)

Glad you agree about Daniel.Yes, yes, it was Altin who took over when Bogie left the ship in Lisbon. And Anthony is wonderful -- we have cruised with him on numerous occasions. Then of course their is my favorite whom I hope Martha's friends are lucky enough to cruise with -- Warren Kree -- lately hanging out in R2 at night.

I think we have cruised with Anthony on the Legend before and he was great.

We really like Warren. Is he on the Spirit or the Legend at the moment?

Many thanks Les Picantins.

We were hoping to do the Botanical Gardens in Deshaies on our own but weren't sure whether taxis would be easily available at the pier. Just so that we are prepared, was the fare 12 euros for two each way or 6 euros for 2 each way?

We will be in transit in St Maarten and my husband has his eye on that catamaran trip. It is $189 per person, so expensive. Would be interested to know what you particularly enjoyed about it.

Thank you so much for your help.:)

The fare was 12 euros total for the two of us roundtrip which the driver did not collect until we were back at the tender. He has an old off road covered jeep and reminded me of a Caribbean Crocodile Dundee. He is also the president of the tourist information stand. I believe he makes that trip several times a day. Also have some 50 cent euro pieces on hand. There a distributers of fish food to feed the koi, nectar distributers for the birds, as well as another distributer to feed the goats (the goats are not part of the tour but are at the very end next to the snack stand).

Now as for the catamaran in St Maarten. Like I said the two snorkeling trips were both very different and I would do them both again. The trip in Antigua should be renamed booze cruise and snorkeling, get the picture? In St Maarten the trip was very refined, the catamaran itself was much smaller and very well maintained. The captain was a chef cuisinier in France in his previous life and the snacks and homemade rum punch reflected this. He took us to two beautiful dive sites (by the way he will discourage wearing sunscreen at these sites as to preserve them, so bring a tee shirt to snorkel in). After the two dives he turned off the motor and just sailed in silence.....that moment was absolutely hypnotic. At one point my husband asked me what I was thinking to which I answered "nothing". I have never be so relaxed in my life. That alone was worth the high price tag. If you decide to take this excursion, I will love to hear what you thought.

The fare was 12 euros total for the two of us roundtrip which the driver did not collect until we were back at the tender. He has an old off road covered jeep and reminded me of a Caribbean Crocodile Dundee. He is also the president of the tourist information stand. I believe he makes that trip several times a day. Also have some 50 cent euro pieces on hand. There a distributers of fish food to feed the koi, nectar distributers for the birds, as well as another distributer to feed the goats (the goats are not part of the tour but are at the very end next to the snack stand).

Now as for the catamaran in St Maarten. Like I said the two snorkeling trips were both very different and I would do them both again. The trip in Antigua should be renamed booze cruise and snorkeling, get the picture? In St Maarten the trip was very refined, the catamaran itself was much smaller and very well maintained. The captain was a chef cuisinier in France in his previous life and the snacks and homemade rum punch reflected this. He took us to two beautiful dive sites (by the way he will discourage wearing sunscreen at these sites as to preserve them, so bring a tee shirt to snorkel in). After the two dives he turned off the motor and just sailed in silence.....that moment was absolutely hypnotic. At one point my husband asked me what I was thinking to which I answered "nothing". I have never be so relaxed in my life. That alone was worth the high price tag. If you decide to take this excursion, I will love to hear what you thought.

Thank you so much for your help. We will definitely be doing those two trips if we can. Will definitely let you know how we find the snorkelling trip.

I'm very interested to know what you did in Anguilla, Jost van dyke, le Marin and Terre de Haut if you have time to tell me please!

In Jost Van Dyke, the ship provides a shuttle open taxi to the beach. It is a nice beach with several bars including the famous Foxy's and The Soggy Dollar. Bring dollars for beach chairs and refreshments. There is also a photo opportunity over the hill to the beach, you can ask the driver to stop for a few snapshots. Another option in Jost Van Dyke is the excursion Swimming with dolphins. I did this excursion last year and loved it. Once I got over the tourist trap part of it, I really enjoyed being in the water with those marvelous creatures and being able to interact with them. It is a once in a lifetime experience. Bring dollars to buy the overpriced pictures.

Anguilla was one of my favorite stops. The tender takes you directly to a magnificent beach. The water is crystal clear and shallow with giant starfish here and there. There are no beach chairs available. To the left of the pier there are two bars. The first has free and rapid wifi but really bad service. When we couldn't get served at the first we headed over to the second for the most potent rum punch I have ever experienced and left Anguilla singing "Don't worry be happy".

Le Marin and Terre Haut were sick days for us so I can not be of much help. I do know however that the tourist center in Le Marin provides a 5 euro bus ride (per person round trip) exclusively for Seabourn, to a beach 30 minutes away. I heard it was nice. There are 2 departures 10:00 and 11:00 and two returns at 1:00 ad 2:00.

Thank you for the opportunity to re-live these experiences. I hope you have as good of a time as I did.

Archived