Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The coverage CNN is giving this incident is disgusting and grossly misleading. I do wonder if Carnival is not making press statements or if CNN is simply ignoring them in favor of making the story more "interesting".

It's just a normal hyperventilating day at CNN. Nothing new.

Just heard the news on the Norwegian board.

I am sure Carnival is doing everything they can to bring those stranded back on land as soon as possible. I just hope they are not too uncomfortable and those with medical needs are well taken care of. What a terrible way to spend your vacation!

My sister was on a cruise when she had an insulin pump malfunction. They were able to supply her with everything she needed. syringes and both short and long acting insulin.

Thank you for that info. I was pretty sure the ship's clinic would be able to help diabetic passengers with insulin needs, at least in the short term, but don't have any first-hand knowledge of that.

I would not want to talk to ANY news reporter. Very few of them IMHO care about the objective story; they're more concerned with ratings. And even if they DO ask appropriate questions, who knows how they'll spin and edit what you say?

As for flights...of course how many flights it takes to get everyone out of Merida will depend on what kind of planes are chartered. Flight crews ARE limited in how many hours they can fly, but the planes themselves don't have to have the same crews for every trip!

The Department of State can waive passport requirements under 22 CFR § 53.2 for unforeseen emergencies, humanitarian, or national interest reasons.

I would hope this situation meets that standard. If not, I'm sure they can expedite the processing for emergency passports. I really don't think anyone will be significantly delayed because they don't have a passport.

Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

Can we actually have a thread that talks about what is going on with the ship instead of a bunch of people that are speculating about what might be happening? I know there are a lot of people with family and friends on this ship that can't get information from Carnival. I have been one of them. Carnival is not giving out a lot of information and most of mine is coming from my wife or others I know that are on this ship.

I agree. Looking for a post like yours is the only reason I'm wading through this mud. Hope your family is ok and home safe and sound soon and you all enjoy a carefree cruise for free in the future.

Thank you for that info. I was pretty sure the ship's clinic would be able to help diabetic passengers with insulin needs, at least in the short term, but don't have any first-hand knowledge of that.

I would not want to talk to ANY news reporter. Very few of them IMHO care about the objective story; they're more concerned with ratings. And even if they DO ask appropriate questions, who knows how they'll spin and edit what you say?

As for flights...of course how many flights it takes to get everyone out of Merida will depend on what kind of planes are chartered. Flight crews ARE limited in how many hours they can fly, but the planes themselves don't have to have the same crews for every trip!

And there are just tons of available and certified crew waiting to jump on an international charter. The reality is that once they get people to shore, it's going to take at least two, more likely three days to repatriate them all.

Have you ever been camping? I mean really camping? But that can be done without roughing it up too. Years ago, our friend wanted to go camping. He rented a campsite at Disney with electric hookup and air conditioner for his tent!

Yes, I have been camping, where I had access to a toilet and a shower. There is no comparison between the two.

Yup, this is pretty typical, unfortunately. It didn't used to be this way; sad that it's come to this.

Remember when these boards had useful information?

On my first cruise I couldn't get enough CC. Now, I skim occasionally, but there's so many people on here grinding their axes that it can really suck the fun out of planning a vacation.

As for the OP, I hope his family returns with amazing stories and not much inconvenience.

The way it was written Grits made it sound like you making a very different statement (to more than some of us) because the answer to the question is thousands and is apparent to most of us, so it was very easy to read your comment the other way. Apparently you were seriously asking the question? so no harm, no foul.

Grits was actually writing to another poster, not me, in the passage you quoted. But he and I had a civil exchange on posts 483 and 494 where we agreed with the validity of each other's questions. :)

No disrespect was intended.

Just received a text message from my wife. They are being served hamburgers and salad from another ship that is along side. Lines are taking 2 plus hours to get through to get food and drink.

Can we actually have a thread that talks about what is going on with the ship instead of a bunch of people that are speculating about what might be happening? I know there are a lot of people with family and friends on this ship that can't get information from Carnival. I have been one of them. Carnival is not giving out a lot of information and most of mine is coming from my wife or others I know that are on this ship.

Thank you for posting updates from your wife. My mom is on the ship and I got a text from her yesterday but have yet to hear from her today. I appreciate your updates.

Just found out a coworker is in that ship. She texted her boss this afternoon. Not sure how it got through but she said there are very long lines for food and bathrooms. Some rooms running out of toilet paper. She said the ship is hot and people are cranky. She expects to be home thur or friday

This is a big thread, so I may have missed this information, or perhaps we have to wait until the passengers are safely off the ship.

The information that seems not to be covered, is this:-

Were the passengers alerted and called to their muster stations, and only released after the danger had passed?

In view of the delays on Concordia, and being a senior solo assenger , safety is important to me - and no doubt to many others especially those wih children.

I would rather be called to a muster station ASAP, than wait until the fire was raging out of control.

And there are just tons of available and certified crew waiting to jump on an international charter. The reality is that once they get people to shore, it's going to take at least two, more likely three days to repatriate them all.

Where did I say anything about how many crew would be available? :rolleyes: I am not an authority on the availability of airline crews and I suspect you are not either. All I did was point out that the same crew does not have to fly the plane every time it goes somewhere.

Since it hasn't happened yet, no one knows how long it will take to repatriate everyone. So none of us has any idea what the "reality" will be.

That's what News organizations do. And I IMPLORE NO ONE contact this NBC person. That org has become a JOKE.

While I am not a fans of the liberal media - which includes NBC, I would rather they speak with people on board the ship or family members of people on board and provide direct information rather than the sanitized press releases from Carnival

To the posters who have family/friends on board, I hope they are safe and out of this nightmare scenario very soon.

To everyone saying they would "have no problem" with being on the ship or who would rather be on the ship...even saying "I'd just leave my balcony door open and be fine", etc. You do realize that they are DEFECATING IN THE SHOWERS, BUCKETS & BAGS???? :eek::eek::eek:

While I am not a fans of the liberal media - which includes NBC, I would rather they speak with people on board the ship or family members of people on board and provide direct information rather than the sanitized press releases from Carnival

If you think that's what you're gonna get, go ahead. If you ever find yourself in the news pipeline, though, you will find it's worse than a kids game of telephone.

But look for global warming to be in there somewhere.

Well said.

Archived