Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I would just be thankful to be alive.

Plane crashes usually end in death or serious injury. So far this is just some emotional and mental trauma.

And there are people living in much worse conditions all over the world, every day, who don't have the knowledge that they will eventually sleep in a clean bed after having a hot meal and long shower.

And I'm sure that's not a popular opinion, but I'm not here to be popular.

I have read every press release from Carnival and listened to Cahills conference at least four times now. There was never mention of power being restored to cabins.

If that is the case, there is no way that power has been restored to the cabins. If they know what is good for them, Carnival will not lie but they also will spin the truth. If the cabins had power, they would be screaming it out loud.

I think I recall reading something about McDonald's employees winning an upcoming cruise based on performance. I think it is one that has been cancelled.

They are on the Triumph now. It was in the Houston newspaper. I added a link earlier in this thread.

I thinks it's very reasonable to assume that they wouldn't. I'm guessing very few people would invite a complete stranger into their cabin, let alone their bathroom. With no power the bathroom door would have to be left open. I'm not going to leave a stranger in my cabin with my stuff while I'm not there, and without being able to close the bathroom door, well, no thanks.

I also think it's reasonable to assume there are no clean towels as they've been used for other purposes.

Your idea of warm is obviously very different than mine, and I suspect most people's.

Well, then I'm one of the very few, and my DH agrees with me. We would absolutely allow passengers without plumbing to use ours if we had it. We would also keep our cabin door open during the day so others could get air from our balcony.

This isn't a normal circumstance, and I like to think there are still plenty of people out there like us. It would never occur to me to not offer to share or help if I thought it would make someone else's suffering less.

No towel? No problem! If it meant the difference between showering or not showering, I could do very well with a bath robe or a sheet!

My question is what jurisdiction would a US court have for a lawsuit against a foreign flagged ship for activities that occurred in international waters?

If this then has to go to the International court, does this change anything?

I am sure someone is a legal expert that knows the answer to this.

Another point to consider about power - if they could restore power to cabins, they would certainly restore it to the A/C first - and we would have heard about that if it had.

EDIT: never mind this point, the A/C has a much higher load

I have read every press release from Carnival and listened to Cahills conference at least four times now. There was never mention of power being restored to cabins.

Now I have to figure out just how I came to think that Carnival had said there was power in the forward cabins. :confused:

My question is what jurisdiction would a US court have for a lawsuit against a foreign flagged ship for activities that occurred in international waters?

If this then has to go to the International court, does this change anything?

I am sure someone is a legal expert that knows the answer to this.

IIRC the Contract of Carriage designates South Florida as the venue with jurisdiction for any legal disputes.

Another issue will be the extra time missed from school for any kids aboard. Mandatory attendance rules can frequently start to kick in after 5 absences in some districts. So a child who would be fine missing two days of school (with some leeway for getting sick) now is in trouble because of 6 days missed. Unlike me who can work a Saturday to make up for a missed day of work, thats usually not an option for kids.

I'm sure the truancy officer is willing to look the other way if he doesn't have to go on the ship to verify they were there :)

My (lazy) neighbors son missed so many days one year. As long as you plea for it, they tend to accept it.

Another point to consider about power - if they could restore power to cabins, they would certainly restore it to the A/C first - and we would have heard about that if it had.

AC would require a lot more power than lighting up the cabins.

I could swear I read about some cabins regaining power, but if it's my faulty memory I apologize for the claim.

I would just be thankful to be alive.

Plane crashes usually end in death or serious injury. So far this is just some emotional and mental trauma.

And there are people living in much worse conditions all over the world, every day, who don't have the knowledge that they will eventually sleep in a clean bed after having a hot meal and long shower.

And I'm sure that's not a popular opinion, but I'm not here to be popular.

Those people didn't pay to go on a cruise where any reasonable expectation would have included temperature control, privacy, a variety of hot food, flushing toilets, hot showers, etc.

Those people didn't pay to go on a cruise where any reasonable expectation would have included temperature control, privacy, a variety of hot food, flushing toilets, hot showers, etc.

Yeah and things happen. Accidents occur. My point is that things could be a hell of a lot worse. No one's dead. Everyone is relatively safe. They WILL get to shore and go home and be compensated. Will it be comfortable or convenient? Nope.

I'll take an 8 day trip on a powerless boat over a terrible car, train or plane wreck that leaves my family devastated by my death or severe injury.

I'm not belittling the experience. I'm sure it's terrible and smelly and uncomfortable and tiring and annoying and angering. But we need to get a little perspective, people.

The affects of this are far reaching. There are 60 employees in my work place and they are all talking about how they never want to cruise. Its not going to be much longer before all the cell phone videos start hitting the air waves for all to see and hear. I can only assume 99% of the pax electronics are dead by now so maybe we wont see the worst of it. In the past these things have never been pretty and the media is going into over drive on this one. This brand has survived these disasters in the past so I am sure time will heal this wound as well.

I have seen only a few small issues while at sea 347 days. I would not want to be on that ship for any amount of money. I am sure the crew wishes they were elsewhere too. I wish everyone aboard well and a safe trip home.

If your company offered all 60 employees 7 days of vacation to go on a cruise, they would be running out the door to pack....I think this will blow over.

That ship in Italy is still laying on its side and booking are very good for CCL.

Now if CCL took away the buffet line.....that would be a killer.

billd

After turning the propellers I would imagine the AC is the next greatest power load on the ship.

Considering for most 2000sq ft homes you need a 10k-15kW generator for a whole house AC of modern efficiency, I could only imagine what 200,000 sq ft of cabins (rough estimate) plus all the common areas would require. Not to mention the fact that there are probably blown fuses throughout the ship which prevents the correct load and operation of the system.

Just thinking as I type that this seems to be dangerous to even try, the odds of starting a fire from the amperage load is too great to risk the ship.

Has anyone else noted that there weren't many people on deck for the ABC flyover video? I wonder what that means (if anything) regarding the conditions aboard.

This was discussed earlier today.

-Some posters suggested people were sheltering in shaded/covered areas of the outdoor deck.

-Someone pointed out that cold rain was expected in the area of the Triumph.

-It seemed like there was a lot of chairs missing.

-Some chairs look like they are covered by white objects. Possibly sheets from makeshift tents?

Has anyone else noted that there weren't many people on deck for the ABC flyover video? I wonder what that means (if anything) regarding the conditions aboard.

There was a cold front that moved through and it had possibly been raining shortly before that photo was taken, so they were most likely in more protected areas.

Archived