Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Problem is the tenders. Even if close to shore, it can be tough w the tenders if seas are rough

I was just in St Bart's on tender and the seas were very very rough. They probably should not have run the tenders, my mother fell into the tender boat and hurt herself and it was a huge ordeal getting her back on the ship bc it was so rocky. Also, everyone on the tender boat was jerked around, people easily could have got hurt. Alot of people complained, it was really really bad,

There were all adults there, but when you add in children and elderly people, if the ocean is rough it is very dangerous transferring to tender boat in open ocean. Kid could easily fall. It is also hard to get in boat if it is swaying and w no electricity they may have difficulty pulling it up

Makes you nervous what happens if you has to abandon ship...my experience in st Bart's makes me realize how hard it would actually be to get in tender boat especially if ship was lisping.

It's pretty rough out there. Did you watch the video of the pilot and other people boarding? They do this all the time and he was having trouble. Transfer would be really risky.

Everyone wants the passengers off as soon as possible but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. If you watch the live feed you'll occasionally see small boats transferring people aboard. Pretty scary to contemplate that 3,000 times with less well trained people who may be far less agile.

I believe one of the CNN reporters mentioned that Carnival has tenders standing by if needed. So I doubt cost is the issue.

I can see what y'all are both saying, for sure! but man, if I was a passenger, I'd sure want the option, risk be damned.

Not trying to bash here, but CEO said in his press conference that passengers were given updates every hour. It appears this did NOT happen. It has been reported by someone on board several points and this was point 8 as told to her husband:

"8. Her biggest complaint was that Carnival was not updating them very much. I knew much more then her! "

This does not bode well at all.

Problem is the tenders. Even if close to shore, it can be tough w the tenders if seas are rough

I was just in St Bart's on tender and the seas were very very rough. They probably should not have run the tenders, my mother fell into the tender boat and hurt herself and it was a huge ordeal getting her back on the ship bc it was so rocky. Also, everyone on the tender boat was jerked around, people easily could have got hurt. Alot of people complained, it was really really bad,

There were all adults there, but when you add in children and elderly people, if the ocean is rough it is very dangerous transferring to tender boat in open ocean. Kid could easily fall. It is also hard to get in boat if it is swaying and w no electricity they may have difficulty pulling it up

Makes you nervous what happens if you has to abandon ship...my experience in st Bart's makes me realize how hard it would actually be to get in tender boat especially if ship was lisping.

Exactly.. I was on Majesty of the Seas when they delayed the trip to Coco Cay because of 4 foot seas... I would rather be safe on the ship for another day, then try to tender in that weather to another ship...

Everyone wants the passengers off as soon as possible but it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. If you watch the live feed you'll occasionally see small boats transferring people aboard. Pretty scary to contemplate that 3,000 times with less well trained people who may be far less agile.

I believe one of the CNN reporters mentioned that Carnival has tenders standing by if needed. So I doubt cost is the issue.

Yep. Even the pilot had trouble boarding, and presumably he does this all the time. Could you imagine sending a child or an old person into that? Conditions aboard suck, but the people are safe.

How far is Tampa? Would wind and currents be more favorable for getting to Tampa?

Or what about the Pensacola Naval Air Station? If you google that it comes up with a picture of a Navy ship tied to a pier. Isn't Pensacola fairly close to Mobile?

I'm not familiar with tug towing systems. Anyone know how long it usually takes to replace a tow line? Wonder if this is a 30 minute delay or more like an hour or more delay? Could make a difference if the ship gets to come in today or not.

this made me laugh! I'm sure they're really enjoying themselves right about now. Maybe they're waving off the return, and would like some more free booze and time to bond with their fellow pax and then they'll have more stories to tell their friends when they return?????

You should work in Carnival's PR dept.

While Im sure they arent really "enjoying themselves" SOME people make the BEST of any thing that is thrown their way.

A concept that is completely lost to some of you in this thread.

From ABC News:

Passenger Rob Mowlam told ABCNews.com by phone today that most of the passengers on board were "really upbeat and positive."

Nevertheless, when he gets off Mowlam said, "I will probably flush the toilet 10 times just because I can."

------------

Haha! I'm glad to see they're staying in good spirits and have a slight sense of humor, unlike some in this thread.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A CARNIVAL CHEERLEADER. :cool:

From ABC News:

Passenger Rob Mowlam told ABCNews.com by phone today that most of the passengers on board were "really upbeat and positive."

Nevertheless, when he gets off Mowlam said, "I will probably flush the toilet 10 times just because I can."

------------

Haha! I'm glad to see they're staying in good spirits and have a slight sense of humor, unlike some in this thread.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A CARNIVAL CHEERLEADER. :cool:

OMG, that's the best thing I've read all day. Good for him for trying to stay positive.

Edited to add, the things we take for granted like a flushing toilet. Puts things in perspective I guess.

How far is Tampa? Would wind and currents be more favorable for getting to Tampa?

Or what about the Pensacola Naval Air Station? If you google that it comes up with a picture of a Navy ship tied to a pier. Isn't Pensacola fairly close to Mobile?

Sorry no commercial ship yard or dry dock to allow for repairs.

Why didn't the crew handles the rations and take the choice away from te passengers on how much food was given to each person to insure fair share?

Yup. For people getting food for others, they should have to show a room card for each persons plate.

A lot seems to depend on what your accommodations were too. Low cabins are terrible, a balcony, not so terrible. This is what I'm hearing.

This is how I deduct it too....makes my inside cabin solo cruisng sound like a much higher risk in disaster waste circumstances as well as lower deck outsides...

Mobile was still closer than Tampa based on forecast and position. The winds after that front came through seem to be higher than was forecasted a few days ago when the decision was made. I checked the forecast when they said the ship was going to Mobile and it only had around 10 knot winds foretasted for today. Not really sure the Navy base would be willing to handle a ship like that unless it was a life or death situation. With as high as security is on bases these days, they sure as heck would not want to deal with thousands of civilians unless there was absolutely no other option.

Archived