Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

To take the thread in a bit of a different direction ~ how are they going to get that ship turned around in the shipping channel to get it to dry dock?

They said the Triumph is the largest ship to ever dock in Mobile and I believe the shipping channel is only 400 feet wide? The Triumph is more than twice that length.

Is dry dock north of where the cruise dock is?

To take the thread in a bit of a different direction ~ how are they going to get that ship turned around in the shipping channel to get it to dry dock?

They said the Triumph is the largest ship to ever dock in Mobile and I believe the shipping channel is only 400 feet wide? The Triumph is more than twice that length.

Pull in straight, remove the tugs from the port side, move them to starboard and push

Just a follow up to other posters. I never said where she could post. It's just ironic our highest poster person doesn't even cruise Carnival.

What is the problem, I think the other person has contributed MUCH more than you have, and I don't recall any mean criticism of the other posters, they have disagreed and shared opinion of the situation, but they have never told others that YOU should not be wasting all of out time tying up the boards.

Get a life you mean Ruthless poster

Not always. I do freelance work and am also gainfully employed. My freelance work is enjoyable, comes with a ton of perks, and the extra cash doesn't suck. If he's a freelance sports writer he probably gets a lot of free tickets to sporting events as a perk. That can add up to thousands of dollars in freebies a year. :D

Indeed! As a stringer for the AP not only was I able to write-off most travel, if it was picked-up by the wires, you could make excellent cash!

That and since my work was "non commissioned" I could ask far more than what a staff photog was paid.

Unemployed my a$$...

whose middle name is melodrama, literally yelled at me for saying I still want to go on Celebrity. As if all cruise ships are doomed vessels, and there are many people who live in fear like this. You can mitigate risk; for instance we want a Cali coastal hug cruise up through wine country. Probably safer ship, newer, more advanced, but also, not too far from coast if something happens.

People wreck cars, I know I have been in them. People break bones, I know, I have broken one. And people, somewhere, probably get wasted and drop their laptop into the tub and electrocute themselves. Just a bit ago I crossed a busy street. It was dicey. But I needed some supplies for dinner. Life is risk, and uncertain, and though Carnival has lost trust for its management, the industry should be hurt no more than Toyota was hurt for the Pinto.

A larger point is cruising has still only reached about 20 percent of the American public. For it to thrive long term, that number has to grow. For old pros like us, this is no more than people on a bus complaining about a flat tire, in terms of our willingness to still cruise. But if you had been on the fence, tired of Disney, of air travel, and were thinking about it, your dollars might flow elsewhere. This is the challenge the industry now faces.

If they could drop supplies yesterday, why not before? is there any reason they could not have done this before as word of the long food waits became apparent? What stopped them.?

If there is a logical reason, please let us know.

Get a map, then think about:

a) Heavy lift helicopters have limited range

b) The ship has been getting closer to land each day

Very true! Most people only bring a few days extra days of medication on any type of vacation.

Very silly to only bring only a few days extra.

I will say though that the next time we travel whether its a cruise or a land vacation I will be sure to pack more than 2 extra injections.

Very smart thing to do, When you travel, always bring much more than needed because you never know what can happen or where you end up.

Not an attack when it's true. I heard people giving their own account as to what was happening on board. CNN was not telling these people what to say. Try as you may but Carnival's reputation as being the Wal-Mart of the industry is showing itself once again.

You don't want to know the truth. Keep making personal attacks on posters here.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

New Orleans should be completely rebuilt, as everyone I know gets sick if they have to travel and stay in a hotel. Everyone. The town is a disease festival of mold and who knows what all else. It is possible a bean counter thought it would be possible to pass off any illnesses from passengers off on NOLA air quality. Not saying they did, but the idea I would even think of such a possibility shows how far Carnival has fallen in trust.

The channel is ~400 YARDS wide, or ~1200 feet. I suspect the turning basin is wider, but even at 1200 feet there's just enough to turn it. They'll put two tugs at opposite corners and push, and she'll spin in a circle.

If they could drop supplies yesterday, why not before? is there any reason they could not have done this before as word of the long food waits became apparent? What stopped them.?

If there is a logical reason, please let us know.

They did do this, three times another carnival ship has rendouved with the triumph and transferred supplies...

So I was just listening to CNN and they were talking about the comet that is going past tonight,

What are the odds that it is going to fall out of orbit, in the next few hours and if it does, land smack dab on the Mobile carnival dock, just in front of where the ship wants to park, holding up the passengers again.

Everything else that "shouldnt happen" has so I would watch the skys over Mobile tonight, just in case.

and mayby put a bet down in Vegas

Pull in straight, remove the tugs from the port side, move them to starboard and push

I'm unfamiliar with the way the channel is set up. I am imagining it is just one straight, narrow line and the cruise ship (in normal circumstances) would just basically stop near the dock.

Is there a side channel the ship needs to pull in to to debark passengers?

I think at the end of this day a couple of things will be clear:

1) The Crew on these ships are amazing

2) People in bad situations tend to help each other and do the best to make it better for those around them. (Helping others charge phones, helping the children...)

3) Carnival management is pretty terrible.

CRUISE CRITIC EDITOR ON CNN NOW!!!

Yes, Carnival diverted two ships to drop food early on, and has had the Coast Guard dropping food at intervals. What changed yesterday was that they got another generator out there and managed to rig up a grill to make hot food again.

One lesson they can learn is to store some extra generators aboard that can be deployed earlier on.

One thing to note here is that Triumph broke down just about as far from land as you can get in the Gulf or Caribbean. That's why this has been so "challenging" to borrow a word from Uncle Gerry.

The fact that you think that matters goes to the high school mentality here.

Did you have to live in NYC to care about 9-11? Did you have to be a Costa cruiser to feel the pain of that Mother who lost her little girl?

You are talking about this like we are rooting for different Super Bowl teams. All that I am concerned with is what is happening to those PASSENGERS...because that could be my child crying into the phone, or my mother breaking her hip, or my son and wife, the unlucky newlyweds.

This could be ANY cruise line and if they made the same decision to bus these exhausted people after this ordeal...I would post just as critically. Cruise lines are nothing to me but vacation providers. They only matter to me in how they provide that service. I have no "loyalty" only to family, friends, and the empathy I owe other people. Ot is juvenile in my opinion, to be so besotted with a corporation, that you other humans just to show you are a "loyal customer."

Exactly as I thought.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I'm unfamiliar with the way the channel is set up. I am imagining it is just one straight, narrow line and the cruise ship (in normal circumstances) would just basically stop near the dock.

Is there a side channel the ship needs to pull in to to debark passengers?

You make a left turn, then a right turn, then it is a straight shot in... They will use the side tugs for help with the turn... Slow the boat as much as they can so they can pull it next to the dock, then push the boat against it. CNN showed a map of the plan.

(For a better idea, google maps mobile cruise terminal.)

Archived