Formal dress question

mommy5

You'll see ladies wearing everything from gowns to cocktail dresses to what you described on formal nights, with the Caribbean and shorter itineraries typically being more on the less formal side, and European/Exotic and longer itineraries on the more formal side. I'm sure you'll be fine in a maxi dress. Enjoy your cruise!

That's exactly what I wore one of the formal nights on Infinity in December on a long cruise to Chile from Florida. I was right at home with many others. Other formal nights I wore silk pants and sparkly tops and jacket.

My DIL is pregnant....so buying a formal is not practical for her. She will be dressed, but not necessarily "to the nines". I hope no one complains! :o

BUT if they do, they'll have to deal with the wrath of this Nana2B!!! :eek:

Women have alot more flexibility as opinions about what constitutes 'formal' are more subject to interpretation. I tend to go with basic black, and on formal nights add a sparkly necklace, or a sheer dressy top over a black dress or black dressy pants and cami or tank top. These are ideas that are easy for a 'lady in waiting' to pull off without buying a maternity formal.

Hey Ladies...first Celebrity cruise booked. For formal night would a colorful maxi dress with sweater or wrap be acceptable or not formal enough?

Thanks!

Deb

As the previous posters have mentioned--you will see a little bit of everything and, IMHO, you could be comfortable in anything you choose.

I have a dress that sounds very similar to what you describe. It is so pretty, it was on sale when I bought it and I figured I could use it for something. This is going to sound weird--i thought if worse came to worse...I could even wear it as a beach cover-up. :D I think I've worn this dress on 4 cruises now. It is knit--so it packs easily, doesn't wrinkle and it looks good on me. I have gotten compliments about it--which I think is a good thing. It certainly does stand out in the sea of black that is often popular on cruises. IMO--it works especially well on Caribbean cruises.

Have fun!

Oops--I almost forgot to mention that one little problem I had with the dress was that to really complete the look I should have had a certain color shoes. I just couldn't rationalize packing a pair of shoes for one dress--so I went a little more casual with the shoes than I would normally have.

Archived