Shopping in Norway

ILoveScotland

Just when I think I've asked everything I could possibly ask, I come up with something else. What would I do without these threads?

My question now has to do with shopping. I am not a shopper. I don't travel to shop like some people seem to do. However, I am thinking about buying a pullover sweater while I'm in Norway, perhaps in Bergen on my first day when I'll be alone.

So: a) what kind of prices would I pay? b) what about buying from street vendors? and c) if not from a street vendor, where would I shop?

Thanks as always.

Beth

While I wasn't shopping for a Norwegian sweater, our tour guide gave us a hint. She told us you can get beautiful ones, in nearly perfect condition, at local Salvation Army stores. I do know one friend who bought one this way. She was thrilled with her sweater and the price she paid for it.

While I wasn't shopping for a Norwegian sweater, our tour guide gave us a hint. She told us you can get beautiful ones, in nearly perfect condition, at local Salvation Army stores. I do know one friend who bought one this way. She was thrilled with her sweater and the price she paid for it.

You mean a Salvation Army store in Norway?

Great idea. I'll have to check that out once I get to Bergen.

There's a Dale of Norway store in Bergen along the waterfront in the old part. Dale is known for their quality and beautiful Norwegian designs, although the price of the sweaters is in the several hundreds of dollars. Maybe you can find a Dale sweater at the Salvation Army!

There's a Dale of Norway store in Bergen along the waterfront in the old part. Dale is known for their quality and beautiful Norwegian designs, although the price of the sweaters is in the several hundreds of dollars. Maybe you can find a Dale sweater at the Salvation Army!

Thanks. That will help me know what to look for.

I'm getting excited, because after months of planning and questions the time is near. This time in 3 weeks I will be over the Atlantic heading first to Frankfurt and then to Bergen.

Beth

• 2 months later...

We travelled to Bergen for 8 days in 2010. I know that was awhile ago, but I loved Bergen.

Other than Norway being expensive, it is breathtaking.

I loved purchasing some Pewter pieces (actually purchased a piece that matched a letter opener my parents have had for 30+ years) also purchased a Dale of Norway sweater. Wonderful quality.The shops along Brygen (UNESCO World Heritage Site) is the old buildings facing the waterfront, fantastic shops all along there.

Archived