Cigars

syr101

Cuba.

Ok, that wasn't very helpful but depending on the island they may have an official Cuban cigar store. I'm no expert and a lot of experts say Cuban cigars today are not that good. I do intend to try and find out in St. Maarten.

Cuba.

Ok, that wasn't very helpful but depending on the island they may have an official Cuban cigar store. I'm no expert and a lot of experts say Cuban cigars today are not that good. I do intend to try and find out in St. Maarten.

Cuban Cigars are not what they used to be....they're still good, just not as exclusive.....

Dominica has the same climate, same soil, and is using the same seed grown in Cuba....

In St. Maarten, at the end of the pier near the main gate, there is a cigar shop....all handmade, some while you wait....very good and reasonably priced.....

Use caution if "Cuban" is the extent of what you are looking for. They are indeed almost all Fakes. Do your research ahead of time so you know what to look for. Maybe there is a brand and style you want to try? Research that specific cigar and learn how to spot the fakes. You can pretty much bet if its not sitting in a well maintained humidor it's not legit.

The link posted above does have a shop in st Maarten, that would be a good place to start.

The only way to be sure you're getting true Cubans is shop at La Casa Del Habano like wscott52 said. Just Google it with the islands you are visiting. If you can't find an LCDH, just make sure anything you buy is from a cigar store and not some novelty shop or convenience store. By the way, you can't get Cubans in San Juan or St. Thomas. Good luck.

A lot of them are fakes. If you get them from these people:

http://www.lacasadelhabano.com/web/

They will be real. Don't know what islands the OP is going to but it would be worth checking to see if there is a franchise there.

This is the best advice. If you buy somewhere else, make sure you look for the triple cap. Most fakes do not have one. Go to youtube and you'll find some videos to show you what to look for if you do not know what the triple cap is.

Swisher wood tips. They rock.

I confess, some 40 years ago in a misspent youth I smoked those for a while. After I got tired of them I switched to Schimmelpennick cigarillos. After some 20 years of not smoking at all I now smoke 2-3 Macanudo Ascots a week. A buddy and I occasionally look around in Total Wine's humidor for something to finish off a special meal.

Beware of the infamous "glass top" Cohibas! ;) :D

I went to the LCDH in Cozumel last year and picked up a couple of sticks. They were great cigars, but I agree with B-52, a high quality Dominican is just as good IMO.

There are many out there who will disagree with me. They are welcome to their opinion, cigar preferences vary to an amazing degree. But for my money, I'll get a whole box of good 'Doms for the price of a few Cubans from LCDH.

Bottom line: If you're looking to buy real Cuban cigars, take the time to find an authorized Habanos SA/LCDH dealer. Assume anything and everything else is counterfeit.

http://www.habanos.com/default.aspx

My opinion only........it is very easy to get ripped off trying to find authentic Cubans and the Dominicans are as good or better almost across the board. I was told by a hand roller in Ybor City that the cuban fields are over worked and not allowed to rest between growing cycles resulting in a lower quality tobacco. Don't know if that's true or not but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

My opinion only........it is very easy to get ripped off trying to find authentic Cubans and the Dominicans are as good or better almost across the board. I was told by a hand roller in Ybor City that the cuban fields are over worked and not allowed to rest between growing cycles resulting in a lower quality tobacco. Don't know if that's true or not but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I think most, myself included, smoke Cubans for the novelty of trying them. You can get better cigars grown on other soils in the region.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the postings about del Habanas stores. In St Maarten, go across the island to Maragot. Adjacent to the Royale Marina, there are two different cigar stores that both sell real Cubans. Very good smokes. There is another store more in the main shopping area where the owner rolls his own. Very nice guy, doesn't speak much English, but good cigars.

I think Cuban cigars are highly over-rated! It may be just a matter of taste, but give me a good Dominican any day. Beware of cigar sellers in Couzemel. I bought what I thought were Cohibas. They may have been Cubans but there was no way they were Cohibas! I always bring my smokes with me. When I light it up at least I know what I'm smoking.

Elvis

Sounds like others had the same experience as me. Over 17 years i walked in the Caribbean ports while family shopped trying to find the "real" Cubans. My experience: the only person who sells a real Cuban is the vendor with who you are talking with and all others are fakes.

I agree the habanos stores are real cubans, but more of a novelty and really tourist trap in the Caribbean ports. Regrettably, they tend to unravel because of improper storage and bugs infect my inventory.

I have stumbled into a few independent shops where the locals go, and about half the time I find a decent house stick but only the hat knows where it was made. As soon as I said the C word, I was marked.

Bought a few bundles (dominicans) from a "Stogies" across from the terminal in Nassau. It was their house cigar $3-4 a stick.

I found two Cozumel shops. There is a shop in the far back side of the old square in Cozumel run by an expat that have decent sticks. Second one, as you exit the carnival cruise terminal left as you head toward downtown there is a white/glass stand alone small building on the right maybe 100-200 yards in the parking lot of a gas station. Decent sticks, but tourist pricing IMO

I'm resolved to the fact that the sticks I bring will be the same price or cheaper and better quality. Frankly, it's easier to find real Cubans from the patrons at the local cigar lounges than the streets and back alleys of the ports, but what do i know. I hope your luck is better.

Archived