Will a Verizon international data plan work on my iPad?

letsgomets

We leave on the Gem in two days! New York to the Caribbean. I've been searching for information in this forum and also generally on the web (including Verizon's web site) but it's a little vague or conflicting so I'm hoping people with specific experience can guide me to the right answer.

I have a Verizon iPad that I plan to take with me. It seems like it would be much more economical if I could get a connection with Verizon's international data package ($25 for 100MB or so) than the exorbitant per minute cruise ship rates (double whammy because they are so slow so you use more minutes).

Has anyone done this recently and has it been successful? Do they use the same network as the ship but you pay less because Verizon has some deal with them, or is it a different network? Verizon's website seems to indicate that it works on cruise ships, but when you use their interactive planner, it only gives iPhone options, not iPads, which doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to pay for a plan that doesn't work or find out that the cost is something else after-the-fact.

Thanks.

[by the way, I also have an AT&T iPhone 5 so I'd welcome any information about AT&T data options as well]

We leave on the Gem in two days! New York to the Caribbean. I've been searching for information in this forum and also generally on the web (including Verizon's web site) but it's a little vague or conflicting so I'm hoping people with specific experience can guide me to the right answer.

I have a Verizon iPad that I plan to take with me. It seems like it would be much more economical if I could get a connection with Verizon's international data package ($25 for 100MB or so) than the exorbitant per minute cruise ship rates (double whammy because they are so slow so you use more minutes).

Has anyone done this recently and has it been successful? Do they use the same network as the ship but you pay less because Verizon has some deal with them, or is it a different network? Verizon's website seems to indicate that it works on cruise ships, but when you use their interactive planner, it only gives iPhone options, not iPads, which doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to pay for a plan that doesn't work or find out that the cost is something else after-the-fact.

Thanks.

[by the way, I also have an AT&T iPhone 5 so I'd welcome any information about AT&T data options as well]

No matter what device you are using, you will have to go through the ship's service and pay the ship's fees.

No matter what device you are using, you will have to go through the ship's service and pay the ship's fees.

And that will make the ships wifi seem like a real bargain. Think $.025 per KB or $25.00 a megabyte. The .40 to .75 a minute for wifi is your best bet ( compose offline, login, cut and paste, logoff ) and it will be much faster the cellular data.

Best bet is free or cheap wifi in port. Just follow the crew going ashore with their laptops.

You may also want to call Verizon customer service and ask to talk to someone in Global Services. Tell them the countries you're going to and the ship.

I will tell you this, I didn't get an international data plan for my phone. I set it to prompt when roaming for data and went to the Bahamas. Apparently my phone didn't consider that to be roaming and I almost ended up with a $50 data bill for 2MB! I called and they backdated an international plan for the two days I turned the phone on and it ended up coming closer to $5. :eek:

Now I'm more confused -- what does it mean that Verizon offers service on the Gem if you have to pay for the ship's wifi anyway? What is Verizon offering at all in that circumstance?

I'm mostly interested in the times we'll be at sea far from land because we have 2+ days each way cruising from NYC to the Caribbean (all of which are work days and I'll unfortunately need to be in touch at least a little bit).

Now I'm more confused -- what does it mean that Verizon offers service on the Gem if you have to pay for the ship's wifi anyway? What is Verizon offering at all in that circumstance?

I'm mostly interested in the times we'll be at sea far from land because we have 2+ days each way cruising from NYC to the Caribbean (all of which are work days and I'll unfortunately need to be in touch at least a little bit).

When you are ON the ship, you are using their service, you have to pay for the ship's Internet charges.

There are no cell phone towers in the ocean, verizon or otherwise. You would need to use the ship's wifi/phone uplink which is expensive. Your Verizon ipad MAY make things cheaper in port either by using cell or wifi, but at sea you still need to use the ship's connection.

If you do get a cellular signal on the ship be very careful not to use it without knowing the charges they will apply to your verizon bill. It can be dollars per minute. Your only hope here is if Verizon considers those ship cellular charges "international" like if you were in a foreign land. I don't think they do, but you can call verizon and check.

Some friends of ours have Verizon and during a recent cruise on the Carnival Liberty, they told their teen daughter to turn the phone off and only do text messaging. Result? More than $1,000 worth of text messages. She is in big trouble.

A few years ago, another couple and their twin boys cruised with us. The twins ended up with $2,700 worth of calls, data etc.

Then buy a wifi package. The service has gotten better over the last year or so. What it means is your Verizon phone will work at sea (service) but will show up on your bill at their cellular at Sea rates. $2.49 a minute for voice calls, $.50 to send a text, $.025 per KB for data. The ship is not an international location cover by the plan. It is a ship with different rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thanks for all of the responses. Seems clear I will need to buy the NCL data package. But I am still left with no idea as to what Verizon claims to be selling with an international package that lists the Norwegian Gem. It seems to be absolutely nothing (sure I can use it when I'm on land, but that has nothing to do with the Gem).

Thanks for all of the responses. Seems clear I will need to buy the NCL data package. But I am still left with no idea as to what Verizon claims to be selling with an international package that lists the Norwegian Gem. It seems to be absolutely nothing (sure I can use it when I'm on land, but that has nothing to do with the Gem).

Even if they included the Gem data charges you are better off with WiFi. Cellular data speeds at sea are like edge not 4G.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I added the international data package with Verizon. They told me it was good on the Gem, they specifically asked on what ship I would be cruising. Nothing was asked about ports.

I'm going to call them again to see what they say and have them document it in my account.

My plan was to use the ship's data plan for my laptop and the Verizon plan on my phone, but I considered using the hotspot if needed. (self-employed)

I'm on the same cruise with you Letsgomets!

Well, ask them specifically if you will incur additional charges on your Verizon bill if you call using your cell phone and the gem's cellular system. Normally this is treated as very expensive international roaming.

I added the international data package with Verizon. They told me it was good on the Gem, they specifically asked on what ship I would be cruising. Nothing was asked about ports.

I'm going to call them again to see what they say and have them document it in my account.

My plan was to use the ship's data plan for my laptop and the Verizon plan on my phone, but I considered using the hotspot if needed. (self-employed)

I'm on the same cruise with you Letsgomets!

You WILL pay to use your ipad on this ship! You must use the ships wifi and there is NO FREE wifi on the ship. The international plan on verizon will allow you to use it in port without incurring further charges but on the ship...it's a different world my friend!

I know. I don't know how many more ways say it but it is going to cost because you are using the ship's cellular network. Verizon doesn't have a tower out in the ocean so it has to use the Cellular at Sea network. That is not free.

I'm well aware there aren't cell towers at sea. However, Verizon offers a Global Data Plan that covers usage on ships.

http://androidspin.com/2012/04/18/new-25-international-data-plan-gives-verizon-customers-100mbs-while-traveling/

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/393889-verizon-international-data-package.html

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

Dial 611 from your Verizon phone and ask about a data plan for you upcoming cruise.

I called Verizon and was assured the Global Data Plan is effective on the Gem. $25 per 100mb of data. The rep sent an email with details that specifically refers to the Gem as the destination.

This is correct, as far as it goes. The $25 pays for 100 MB of data since you'll be roaming and off your home network.

You'll also pay $2.49 a minute (or more) for accessing the ship's cellular network.

Note that 100 MB of data isn't much, you're likely to need more. And text messages are a totally separate charge -- so look in to this if applicable to your situation.

If you don't need to text or make phone calls, your best bet it to place the phone in Airplane Mode and use free or low-cost WiFi. Perhaps even the ship's WiFi.

If you do need to text or make phone calls, go with a Verizon data plan and the $2.49 a minute from the ship's cellular network.

When you go to the Global Plan area on Verizon Wireless, they have a "Special Info!" tab that says this -

Cruise Ship Rates apply in international waters. Global Roaming Voice Rates apply while in port or in coastal areas covered by a Global carrier.

So, you will have the global plan when you are in port or close to a tower in those locations, but in international waters - Cruise Ship Rates apply. No point in getting the plan if you really only want to use it on the ship on at sea days.

NCL has recently reduced the cost of using the ships' phones to $1.99 a minute. I assume that is still current. That is now less than using your cell phone on board for calls ($2.50 min.). Texting is reasonable on board (Verizon) at .05c for each received and .50c for each sent...SMS only. Calls, data, and wifi usage while traveling outside your provider's service area, and then while on a ship, is always confusing. And the providers don't really go out of their way to make the options crystal clear. There should be a very specific, no confusion, guidance available...but I've never found it....just bits and pieces.

When you go to the Global Plan area on Verizon Wireless, they have a "Special Info!" tab that says this -

Cruise Ship Rates apply in international waters. Global Roaming Voice Rates apply while in port or in coastal areas covered by a Global carrier.

So, you will have the global plan when you are in port or close to a tower in those locations, but in international waters - Cruise Ship Rates apply. No point in getting the plan if you really only want to use it on the ship on at sea days.

Then isn't Verizon selling any package that specifies the Norwegian Gem rather deceptive? If all that it means is that I can use it when I'm in port, then why list what ships it supposedly works on? It would work the exact same for my bathtub if I could sail that to St. Maarten!

Archived