Small Problem With Debit Card

Mmeindia

I have seen a few warnings about using debit cards for onboard purchases but haven't seen a warning specifically about this, so I thought I'd pass it on.

I paid a $1,000 deposit for my cruise about three weeks ago, with a debit card, with no problem. The final balance was due today. I double-checked my bank balance yesterday, saw there was more than enough to cover the charge, and told my TA it was okay to use the same card.

When she tried to run the charge through it came back declined. After some panicked phone calls I found out from my bank that there is a $2,000 a day limit on my card for charges. My bank has excellent service, and they were able to lift the limit temporarily and run the charge through again, with no problem. However, if my bank hadn't been so helpful or if I'd been unable to reach them, I would have had a big headache. So for those planning to use a debit card for the purchase, check beforehand if you have a limit for charges, and/or do it a few days before the final balance is due so you have time to work it out if there is a problem.

HTH someone,

India

Good message ! thank you ! We had a similar problem with a Visa card a few years back. Plenty under the limit, but was denied several times. It was right after a Vegas vacation. I called my credit card company and they explained they had seen numerous charges from out of state and wanted to make sure everything was OK, so they froze the card. After running through a list of charges...yes, that 250.00 at the Bellagio was me (dinner), yes that 300.00 at the Hard Rock was me (cabana and snacks)... and yes all those charges at the Forum Shops were me too I discovered a) I spent too much money ! and b) they suggested I call them to advise when we were going on a vacation so the card wouldn't be denied. whew... so now, before we go on a vacation a quick call to the credit card company letting them know where we will be is on the 'to do' list

Great advice. We run into this problem all of the time with clients, and the limits vary dramatically.

It's also a very good idea to inform your bank or credit card company that you are going on a cruise and to where. I have had clients whose bank froze the card because charges started showing up in so many different countries.

Usually if you inform your bank of the situation they will allow a one time charge for larger amounts.

I usually call and advise my credit card company and my bank of where and when I will be out of town. The last several times I've called to temporarily raise the daily limit on my debit card, they've offered to increase the daily limit permanently (which I've always refused because I don't want a high limit with direct access to my bank account - it makes me think before making purchases and gives me some protection if it is stolen).

We had that problem when we tried to spend $1000 in an electronics store using our debit card in our home city. We were also able to call and have them temporarily raise the limit.

with regard to debit cards, does anyone know what the fee for the ATM machine on board Carnival lines is? I know I am going to have to use it at least once, so would like to know ahead of time what the fee and the limit on withdrawals is?

7/18 CC Holiday Here I come !!!!

Not sure about Carnival, but on RCCL's AOS it was 5 bucks. Can't remember the limit. I used ATMs in port and none of the ones I used charged a fee. Was able to get US dollars in all. On one side of St. Martin the machine was giving euros (i think). I waited til I got back to the other (pier) side.

Archived