Which fort should we tour?

bar10der421

We will be in San Juan from 11:00 until 7:00. There will be 2 to 4 couples in our 60's, some with more mobility and stamina than others, some with more or less interest in history. I am probably over-thinking this, but as the planner I would like everyone to be happy.

I thought we would do a walking/trolley tour with an extended stop at one of the forts. So which one would you say lengthy tour and which one to skip?

After that we might split up as we walk back toward the ship with some shopping, some dining, strolling, museum visits, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last month we sailed out of SJ. We did San Cristobal before embarking, and El Morro after disembarking. I also prefer El Morro, but its further from the cruise pier and involves more walking (fairly level) in the hot sun. San Cristobal is only a few blocks from the pier so its less walking, but more uphill and stairs (on the way there, downhill on the way back). While El Morro is more picturesque, there isn't much else to do in that area, while San Cristobal is in the heart of OSJ so there are restaurants, shops, and plazas nearby.

We will be in San Juan from 11:00 until 7:00. There will be 2 to 4 couples in our 60's, some with more mobility and stamina than others, some with more or less interest in history. I am probably over-thinking this, but as the planner I would like everyone to be happy.

Laura,

Don't set yourself up for failure, believe me, your never gonna make everyone happy.:cool:

Both forts are very close to the dock and can be easily walked. Upon arrival we immediately headed for San Cristobal Fortress on foot, which is almost straight up the hill. (San Cristobal Fortress will give you a lot more information than El Moro, but it's a smaller fort). Then on to El Moro Castle via the city wall walkway by the sea. Both were really cool to visit. Very impressive, massive, structures. Cost is $3.00 per person for each site, or $5.00 per person for both sites. Don't make the mistake of hiring a taxi. It is pretty easy to walk around town as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both. (Check out the restrooms in El Moro. You won't find a restroom anywhere with better views). On the way back to the ship, just off The Street of San Francisco, we stopped at a street cafe for papaya and guava frappes, chips, and guacamole. It was a nice break. On another trip we lunched at Parrot Club (my wife’s new favorite eatery in San Juan).

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Archived