First Cruise, Solo, out of NYC. Thoughts?

Tralfie

So I've wanted to go on a cruise for as long as I can remember... I blame The Love Boat for putting it in my head! And finally, I'm in the preliminary stages and planning my cruise!

I'm looking to sail in March of 2014, figuring I'll do something special for my (ugh) 50th birthday... and it'll be a cruise. I'm likely to be sailing by myself, most likely out of New York City.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward sailing on the Nowegian Breakaway, which will sail out of New York, for a 7-day trip. (Not because of the solo rooms... I'm totally getting a balcony!)

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Are there OTHER lines sailing out of New York that I should look at?

Glad to be a part of the community!

Tralfie/Richard

So I've wanted to go on a cruise for as long as I can remember... I blame The Love Boat for putting it in my head! And finally, I'm in the preliminary stages and planning my cruise!

I'm looking to sail in March of 2014, figuring I'll do something special for my (ugh) 50th birthday... and it'll be a cruise. I'm likely to be sailing by myself, most likely out of New York City.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward sailing on the Nowegian Breakaway, which will sail out of New York, for a 7-day trip. (Not because of the solo rooms... I'm totally getting a balcony!)

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Are there OTHER lines sailing out of New York that I should look at?

Glad to be a part of the community!

Tralfie/Richard

Out of NYC/Cape Liberty in March, usually your choices will be NCL, RCCL or Carnival. Since the Breakaway will still be less than a year old I would choose her (nothing to do with Carnival's current problem). My next cruise will be solo and I am really looking forward to having that balcony stateroom to myself! Welcome to CC. Be prepared to become addicted to cruising!

Welcome to CC. Be prepared to become addicted to cruising!

I haven't even gone on my first cruise yet, and I'm ALREADY addicted! My best friend is just about done with my constant talking about cruising... although he's thrilled that, at least temporarily, it has stopped me from talking about Walt Disney World, my OTHER obsession. (And yes, I thought about doing a Disney cruise... probably will later... )

Richard/Tralfie

Welcome! Since you have quite a bit of planning time, I would also look into other departure ports. Sailing to/from NYC is definitely spectacular, but in March, you are most likely going to have some chilly weather for the first and last days of your cruise. If that is okay with you, or if getting to a more southerly port is difficult, then no problem.

BUT if you would rather have warm weather for the entire trip, a more southerly port might be good.

Do you have specific islands you want to visit? There is a LOT of information on the individual ports boards.

I second the suggestion to check out the solo cruisers board as well.

Have fun planning! :)

Welcome! Since you have quite a bit of planning time, I would also look into other departure ports. Sailing to/from NYC is definitely spectacular, but in March, you are most likely going to have some chilly weather for the first and last days of your cruise. If that is okay with you, or if getting to a more southerly port is difficult, then no problem.

:)

Okay, it's so funny you mention sailing in March and weather. For some reason, that NEVER even occurred to me. I equate "cruise ship" with "gorgeous weather." LOL

But after thinking about it, I think I'm okay with a little chilly weather. Heck, it'll force me to actually explore the boat and not just spend all day every day sitting on a deck chair staring moonily at the ocean.

Instead, I'll sit on a barstool and spend all day moonily looking at the ocean... LOL

Ricahrd/Tralfie

Archived