solo cruiser

mrsraggy

Just start talking to people! My last three cruises have been solo and I have always afound folks to be friendly. I also take some sewing so sometimes that works as an ice breaker. I always greet the people at my table when I see them as well as the people I meet on tours, classes, etc. When the Lido is crowded, I also will ask someone if I can join their table. Generally that leads to a conversation also.

Ask the maitre d' to assign you to a large table with other solo travelers (this worked for my now-husband). This will probably happen automatically anyway.

Play trivia, Pictionary, shuffleboard and whatever else. Just walk up to a small group and ask to join their team, or the assistant cruise director running the game will put you in one.

Go to afternoon tea, where you can chat with the people sitting around you.

Chat with the people in line with you at the Lido buffet.

If you spot someone who appears to be alone, just walk up and say hi. They could be delighted to meet you.

Cruise ships are wonderfully social places, unlike hotels. Ships are also full of solo cruisers, who would like to find someone to go to shore and shop with, share their kayak on an excursion, etc. "They" are looking for you, too. None of the above will seem out of place in the least, but are indeed the normal mode of operation.

P.S. -- You might try checking out all the photos taken at embarkation, displayed in the photo shop the next day. If someone is in that photo alone, it's a good bet they came on board alone. Keep a lookout for whoever looks interesting, so you can walk up and say "You seem to be cruising solo. Are you having any trouble meeting people on board?" If they turn out not to be so interesting after all, you at least may get an informative tip or two.

P.P.S. -- Don't be surprised if you are "adopted" by a couple at your dinner table or that you meet. For some reason, HAL cruisers love to look after each other.

I can only reinforce what Cactuslady told you. My husband and I had many wonderful cruises aboard HAL ships. He died 14 months ago and I have taken three solo cruises since, and am eagerly anticipating my fourth in December aboard the Amsterdam.

I find most of my onboard friends amongst my tablemates or playing Team Trivia and have had a wonderful time with them all. I have actually "been adopted" by two couples - I didn't ask to be adopted they just went ahead and adopted me anyway:D One couple invited me to dinner in The Pinnacle Grill and treated me to a shore excursion (actually the husband didn't want to go and insisted that I take his ticket and absolutely refused my offer to pay for the ticket). The other couple I actually met on a post-cruise trip in Canada. We had never met on the ship but they took a shine to me right away and we became great friends. We had a wonderful time in Ottawa and in Montreal, where it was pouring down with rain, looking for and finally finding a fantastic restaurant for dinner. The cruises were wonderful but the opportunity to meet these really nice, kind and interesting people just made the cruises even better.

99 and 9/10 percent of the time the people you meet on a cruise will be more than happy to talk to you - they don't seem to find it at all strange that a "stranger" strikes up a conversation, in fact they all seem happy that you do. There will always be grouches and complainers but you spot them right away and just avoid them.

My only difference with Cactuslady is that I prefer to be seated at a table with couples. I was seated twice at a "singles" table. The first time the people (3 men and 3 women - well that includes me) were incredibly nice but we really had nothing in common although we got along very well and enjoyed eating dinner together. My next cruise I was the only singleton seated with 3 couples who couldn't have been nicer or more interesting - we always had a great time at dinner sharing our experiences of the day. My last cruise I was seated at a singles table for 8 - 2 people never showed up at all; one woman, who seemed very nice, only showed up one time and I bailed out after the fourth night. One can only listen to so many complaints (everything from health problems to the ship itself) before deciding that the Lido might be a better choice for dinner and who knows what interesting people you might meet in the Lido?

mrsraggy,

I doubt that anyone will think of you as desperate or lonely - as lka1012 says, just start talking to people. You'd be amazed at how happy they are that you do.

Have a wonderful cruise.:)

You've already read some great suggestions. I can add a couple of thoughts.

It's easy to find a single seat. When you go to the show head right up and ask if a vacant seat is taken. No? Then sit right down and start chatting.

Go to the port/shopping/enrichment lectures you are interested in. You'll find folks interested in the same thing.

Still capable of climbing up on a barstool? It's easier to start up a conversation there than at a table.

Like music at night? Try the Piano Bar. Again, people with similar tastes will congregate in the same places---and strike up a good time.

I sailed solo three times when I was youngandsingleandgorgeous, and have sailed solo again seven times since I was widowed five years ago. You'll find that a cruise is a fine way to travel solo. You can be alone when you want, and can have lots of company when that suits your fancy.

I find cruising is the PERFECT vehicle for meeting others ... be they single or not. I have traveled solo on five cruises now, and am booked for two more next year.

The main piece of advice I would give is not to necessarily go with the object of meeting other solo travelers. I just go wanting to meet other people ... be they married, single, traveling with friends or traveling alone. Makes no difference. Let's face it, I'm not trying to link up with the love of my life on a cruise ship. I doubt that sort of thing happens very often anyway. :) Just go with the desire to meet other people, and believe me ... if you are even minimally outgoing and friendly, you will.

Just be friendly and outgoing, participate in the activities you enjoy, and strike up conversations with people. I find that people on a cruise tend to be more open than perhaps they normally would, probably because they are so relaxed on the boat.

As for shore excursions, you will be with a group anyway, so you will always have people to talk with. You may even hit it off to the extent that you'll plan to get together for drinks or whatnot on the ship.

I can't imagine a better and more enjoyable vacation than a cruise for a solo traveler!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived