Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

I admittedly did not read all 17 pages of this thread, but we are booked on Carnival Victory 2/28/13 with another couple who are cruise newbies (this will be our 4th cruise with Carnival). They are very nervous now, and understandably so, talking about bringing "survival snacks" etc.

I just laugh, I think this is going to be one heck of a safe and comfortable cruise. When we cruised last year, right after the Costa Concordia disaster, I have never seen such a complete muster drill. This time, I'm sure Carnival will be on its best behavior and tell all staff to do so. Any further bad publicity Carnival will avoid like the plague. This is probably the BEST time to cruise! You KNOW Carnival will be checking EVERY ship now for any remote engine issues, etc. and get them all fixed.

To the OP, I'll give you $100 to transfer one of your cruises over to me if Carnival will let you do that. That way you would get some of your money back and you won't have to worry about being on a ship that could possibly set on fire, sink, explode, be struck by lightning, noro virus, hit an iceburg, hit a rock, be hit by a hurricane, and terrorists. Not to mention water funnels, tsunamis, Jaws, Moby Dick, evil mermaids, and giant squids. It could always be taken over by pirates, George Bush, Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Dick Cheney, Hillary Clinton, and hippies. Worm holes, time space continuums, time rips, gates to other parellel universes, and vortexes are a concern. But most of all you need to be aware of being assimilated by the evil Borg. Resistance if futile you know, and Picard is getting to old to save us. Please don't thank me, I will gladly take your place so you don't have to worry about all of the what if's.

I am slowly losing faith in Carnival. Perhaps I'll stick to land vacations in the future and just arrive to the ports i wish to visit via air...at least the airlines are more regulated and I can check out their safety records for myself.

Yes. I concur. The airlines are wonderful. I have only had two of my last three American flights cancelled. On a Friday morning flight from SF to Hawaii, they auto rebooked us on a Saturday evening flight to Chicago, then to LA and finally to Hawaii on Sunday. And then just last month, on a flight from Sacramento to Ft. Lauderdale (before a cruise:)), they cancelled because the PA didn't work between the cockpit and the flight attendants, so they had to book us on a totally different airline with a four hour layover in Phoenix.

Gotta love those wonderfull airlines. At least they didn't crash. Whew.:D

Without reading every single page, i must say this.

I was on the Triumph in 2009 for the Western Caribbean itinerary. The first 4/5 days were fine for ship movement but as soon as we rounded Cuba's western side back to Miami, we hit 16ft waves that had the ship rolling on all axis! Even with the stabilizers. I normally don't get sick but even I was a bit queasy that night. We had a balcony suite near the bow on Port side. We felt it all until currents smoothed out. I can't imagine being even deeper into the Gulf with no stabilizers and no means of movement in any way.

I am kinda suprised that someone hasn't mentioned how Carnival got its name,, The Fun Ship !

The maiden voyage of Carnival’s first ship, the TSS Mardi Gras, runs aground on sandbar outside the Port of Miami.

according to the stories at "welcome back" parties... iirc, the management decided to serve pax free booze,, and when the media tried to interview debarking pax,, all they got was ,,,, "it was a fun ship"... hic, ! from the drunken pax

so... stuck on a sand bar,,, or floating in the gulf ,, or running from a tropical storm,,, etc, makes for a situation that could probably feel like a lemon... sooooo better be able to make lemonade !

just a comment on tenders ,,, a small storm came up,, we had 250 people on a tender that was attempting to return to the ship,, they had opened the doors on deck 2... so the gang way was long, and on an angle... the crew had fall arrest gear on,,, my wife and I were about the 50th to depart the tender,, as we stepped on the gangway... knowing full well we had to time it correctly, and run.... the big ship went up, as the tender went down in a swell... and the plank was vertical for a second! We both hung on like it was a ladder... then it switched.... so it was high on the tender, low on the ship,, at the same time we fell ... the crew dove to our rescue!

Once we were inside the ship,, they refused to allow anyone else to attempt to board... that was noon,, and they didn't unload that tender till after late dining!

Out of the remaining 200 pax,, I guess that 50% had issues like canes, walkers, neck braces, elderly, combo's ...

while attempting to secure the tender to the ship, they used small rope to pull very large cables on board... then winch them tight .... they lost 2 large cables to the sea... and almost lost 2 crew with them... they had fall arrest on, and we yanked back up and into the ship...

The swells were about one deck in height,,, you could see them flow down the side of the ship ... so the weld lines of the steel of the ship would show the crest and the trough of the swell ... total 2 deck... like 10-16 ft ish.. from the 10th deck , it didn't look rough at all... unlike from deck 1 or 2 !

To the OP, I'll give you $100 to transfer one of your cruises over to me if Carnival will let you do that. That way you would get some of your money back and you won't have to worry about being on a ship that could possibly set on fire, sink, explode, be struck by lightning, noro virus, hit an iceburg, hit a rock, be hit by a hurricane, and terrorists. Not to mention water funnels, tsunamis, Jaws, Moby Dick, evil mermaids, and giant squids. It could always be taken over by pirates, George Bush, Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Dick Cheney, Hillary Clinton, and hippies. Worm holes, time space continuums, time rips, gates to other parellel universes, and vortexes are a concern. But most of all you need to be aware of being assimilated by the evil Borg. Resistance if futile you know, and Picard is getting to old to save us. Please don't thank me, I will gladly take your place so you don't have to worry about all of the what if's.

Epic post. No words I can say to express what hilarity you have bestowed upon this thread.

Bravo! :D :D

Its not the point about the fire.... Who cares about that. If the ship is stranded at sea, in this day of age they could of brought another ship and a transfer boat. I do not buy this crap that its to dangerous to transfer from one ship to another. They do it all the time! Ports that need a tender! You don't buy insurance for these reasons.... I have insurance (private) for sickness or death in the family.. I am insured.. Just not insured against a cruise line that operates poorly.

I don't know if this was said as I didn't read all the posts, but when a ship tenders it is anchored down, not bobbing at sea. Also, where would Carnival get this "extra" ship that can accommodate over 4,000 passengers and crew? Their other ships were all in use.

I have a question for all of you posters. Regardless about the fire in the engine room, did anyone ever consider the fact No One died!!! Ok so the electricity didn't work and the toilets over flowed and the carpet was sqishy and they had to sleep outside but No One Died!!! No one was even injured! These people should be thanking there stars that they are home safe and sound with their families. Yes there are ships that could have saved them and taken them on and pulled a Titanic but there were No other options. None! Lifeboats don't get lowered unless the captain calls abandon ship. Since the ship was functional there was no reason. Even if they tried to transfer them to another ship it would have been total and complete chaos. There would have been more deaths and people would have been hurt and its just written as a disaster. Think what you may but these people should be lucky and stop suing the cruise line because of "loss of quality of life". The answer is simple don't cruise again.

I asked my brother, a former Navy Officer, what would have happened if this were a Navy ship, and he replied, without hesitation, another ship should have pulled up alongside and provided generator power to keep everything working, and another ship would have provided all the food supplies necessary to keep everyone happy.

Carnival is a HUGE corporation. If they are incapable of providing for the safety and comfort of passengers in an incident such as this which should have many contingencies already in place, then it should NOT BE IN BUSINESS.

If I sound angry, it is because this corporation WHICH ALSO OWNS COSTA is a blight on the entire industry.

The entire cruise industry is going to have to work to overcome this PR disaster

So .......they just pass over the extension cord and get everything working.....

Remember the fire destroyed the electrical distribution system, which is why there was no power. Hooking up power from another ship to the destroyed distribution system will probably just get the fire started again....;)

I totally agree with OP with regards the "rescue ship", Carnival Corp (or at least their insurance company) had an idle ship lying aound in the Mediterranean.

Tenedering / lifeboating on the open ocean - what a laugh. No one has mentioned the very recent accident where 5 crew members were killed while testing lowering lifeboats on a Thompson cruise ship in Madera (which is a very sheltered harbor). Just imagine theheadlines of the poor souls were passengers, especially if they were Carnival passengers.

I don't know about popcorn, but I justed DW to bring me a red plastic bag as I don't want to leave the thread.

Some people live in their own fantasy world - they are a legend in their own mind.

Well, the moral of the story is Do NOT cruise on Carnival. I was told, years ago, by my Travel Agent NOT to cruise on Carnival, that you would not like it.

Well, have been on many cruises, NOT Carnival and have enjoyed them all. There are other cruises lines not connected to Carnival so you do have a choice.

"Way to many pro Carnival people here."

Hellooooo!!!! its the Carnival board, what did you expect. Stuff happens and it if happened on RCL, NCL or anyone else,their boards would be full of "too many 'whatever cruise line this is' people too. So if you're so afraid of your future cruises, enjoy your vacation, sucking your thumb and holding onto your blanket, while sitting in your close at home, Linus

I was told, years ago, by my Travel Agent NOT to cruise on Carnival, that you would not like it.

Well, have been on many cruises, NOT Carnival and have enjoyed them all. There are other cruises lines not connected to Carnival so you do have a choice.

Is that how you live your life? So and so said I won't like it. So I won't? :confused:

Won't even try it (whatever it is)? :confused: Sad. You are missing out on life.

Just so you know I'm not a Carnival "cheerleader". I've cruised CCL and others. My comment is about your life in general. :(

Well, the moral of the story is Do NOT cruise on Carnival. I was told, years ago, by my Travel Agent NOT to cruise on Carnival, that you would not like it.

Yea, that's the moral of the story. It's a pretty bad TA that tells their clients not to do something.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

Not a big fan of Carnival but I have to say that you're outside the cancellation window unfortunately. All cruiselines work this way.

I also want to cancel my trip this summer with Carnival. Reason #1, who knows if the Triump will be up and running. I don't want to have my trip canceled. These are the only dates we can set sail. Reason #2, I felt like the passengers were in danger and Carnival did nothing. Raw sewage, people will be sick. No food. Diabetics without insulin. Carnival did nothing. I'm not taking a chance with my kids. I want a refund!!! I want my deposit back also. Carnival screwed up, not me. I don't want to cruise with them in the next 24 months either.

I also want to cancel my trip this summer with Carnival. Reason #1, who knows if the Triump will be up and running. I don't want to have my trip canceled. These are the only dates we can set sail. Reason #2, I felt like the passengers were in danger and Carnival did nothing. Raw sewage, people will be sick. No food. Diabetics without insulin. Carnival did nothing. I'm not taking a chance with my kids. I want a refund!!! I want my deposit back also. Carnival screwed up, not me. I don't want to cruise with them in the next 24 months either.

I hope you are joking

You just signed up for CC to ask that question and to further sensationalize the Triumph situation? Not buying it.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Is that how you live your life? So and so said I won't like it. So I won't? :confused:

Won't even try it (whatever it is)? :confused: Sad. You are missing out on life.

Just so you know I'm not a Carnival "cheerleader". I've cruised CCL and others. My comment is about your life in general. :(

Speaking for myself, as someone who has a close relationship with our "cruise person" whom we've used exclusively for 12 years now and knows our likes/dislikes VERY well, it was also suggested when we were looking to book for last June that we steer clear of Carnival.

The reason why someone would use a travel professional is for just such advice. Some people don't, which is perfectly fine, their choice. We cruise very infrequently (as evidenced by my user sig, we have 2 time-shares and usually do land-based vacations) and do so only for very special occasions, and so want it to be as "perfect" (different meanings for different people) as possible. Seeing that she's been on 100+ cruises over her very long career, we consider her an invaluable resource. If we wanted to specifically use Carnival, she'd book us in a second because it was our choice and she'd respect that.

Having also been a CC member for 10+ years (initially under a different username) I've read hundreds of user and professional reviews for just about every cruiseline there is, and so have a pretty good idea about the different experiences on the different lines. We've determined that Carnival probably isn't "for us." We don't have the available vacation time to go on a cruise for the heck of it to give Carnival a try. Others on here who cruise every year or several times a year, that's a different story. If they're happy with their experience, I'm happy for them. If we cruised much more frequently, we would try Carnival. But it's just not working out that way.

Archived