Tipping Question--Private full day tour

Bruin Steve

Okay...I know what to tip on a half-day or full-day shore excursion on a bus with 20-40 other people...BUT...

How about while taking a full day car tour in St. Petersburg?

Here's the scenario:

It's the Celebrity Shore Excursion Full Day car option...Two adult passengers...They have a driver AND a guide...They suggest you treat the guide to lunch while the driver fends for himself...The cost is $700 for the 8-hour day...

What would YOU tip? High? Low? Average?

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

$700.00. Let's see, you are buying lunch for one of them. I would give the fellow without lunch what I paid for lunch at least then it would depend on how good you thought the tour was. Was it informative, did you go where you wanted, did you enjoy the meal, there are lots of variables. This is why tipping is so subjective and invites trouble on the board.

I've never been there so I can't tell you too much. I would consider different factors then decide if really good probably 20% to be split between the two with slightly more then half to the guide. If bad or lousy nothing.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

When we used Red October last summer, we didn't treat either the guide or the driver to lunch. Red October suggested a 10% tip, about 1/3 for the driver ands 2/3 for the guide.

Yeah...It's not a question of Celebrity's Shore Excursion versus Red October or someone else...and it's not a question of whether or not $700 a day for two people is reasonable or not...for a great many family reasons, that's just the way it is...Money is not a question in this case...and we're trying to make everything as simple as possible for my parents...We kids are covering everything for them...and for the sake of simplicity and ease of use, we're doing everything through Celebrity where possible...

We wanted them to do two days with private cars in St. Pete...because at 80 and 77, even though they both appear to be in great shape (No one can believe my mom is 67 let alone 77), neither gets around quite as well as they used to (though neither needs any assistance--no canes, no walkers, etc.)...We just think the option of a private car saves them going at other people's pace...

My mom wanted to go on group tours to be around lots of people--they're very social animals...

So, we compromised--private car one day, the "Palaces and their Owners"--Peterhof and Yusopov, the next...

What I'm gathering is that, with $700, a driver and a guide, somewhere between $70 and $140 total is appropriate...split something like $45/$25 to $90/$50...or maybe an average of $70 to the guide and $35 to the driver is appropriate?

(depending on how good or bad they are, of course)

Or is it??

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation so I can tell my folks what to plan for...They're looking to me for detailed instruction on everything to do...

Thanks to all for your help...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Archived