Cozumel Highlights and Mayan Ruins

Rambler5678

We are done this a few years ago, but I'm sure it hasnt changed much.

We loved it and found it well worth the money and time it took to see everything, but for a child I am not so sure.

I remember kids being on the tour and the parents brought them a back pack full of small toys and coloring books to help entertain them on the LONG bus ride. Plus they brought snacks for them as it was a very long excursion. Theparents spent the entire excursion trying to keep their kids entertained and quiet so everyone could hear what was being said.

They were good kids but just got bored.

I know if my kids were under 12 they would have been very bored with all the riding and the historical talks you get everywhere. They would not have sat still or wanted to stand through all of that.

They probably would like to see the ruins for about 5 minutes then be gone.

Of course some kids can be the exception to the rule. You know your kids better than anyone.

Kathy

We did the Mayan ruins with our kids about 3 years ago. We stopped about 1/2 way for a rest stop at a tourist shop (trap) and they gave us small Subway lunch to eat on bus.

We walked up to the ruins for a guided tour and it was hot - not much shade around. After the tour we went down to the beach to go swimming - we had worn our suits under clothes. The beach and view was fantastic. Is it the best for kids - I don't know, but we had a great time.

Are you asking about the San Gervasio (sp?) ruins or the trip that goes to Tulum?

There is one that stays on the island. I did this one with my daughter. It was about a half day trip. The bus ride was about 45 minutes long. Takes you to the other side of the island. Scenery is beautiful. You also see a lot of poverty which was a real eye opener to my daughter. Then you spend about an hour at the ruins. No hard walking. I wouldn't bring a stroller but there were younger children on the trip. After that you head to the beach and swim. After about 90 minutes there (I think), you board the bus again to head back to port.

It wasn't a bad trip. I'm glad someone else was driving the bus. I don't think I would rent a car in Cozumel and drive the island. I'm not that adventurous. ;)

Last May, we took the on-island tour that stopped at the ruins, the Tequila Factory, a rocky beach (for photo ops) and el Centro. I felt it was fun because our party was large, and it was a great way to see the island w/o renting several cars. We usually don't take excursions, but of the four I've been on with DCL in the Caribbean, this was the most enjoyable for me. (I didn't see any children on our bus, so I can't speak for bringing children along.) I have more photos of the excursion in a PDF file in my on-line folder, so PM me if you want a link to see them. Have a great vacation! :)

Archived