Wanted: Upgrade advice from the experienced

Wildgrits

I have un upcoming cruise in 15 days. Like most I randomly check the Carnival web site to see if my room price has lowered. The room I am in is not longer available. It a Scenic View on the Lido deck, less than 10 so no big surprise.

However....................................

The More=Merrier rate is showing balconies at about $80 cheaper than my room cost. So I called to see if I could upgrade to a balcony on the Spa deck. I was told because that rate is less than I paid for my ES rate for my room, it is considered a downgrade and I am not able to do that. I can however pay the next rate which is $140 more than I paid to get that balcony.

So here is my dilemma.

Can I upgrade to the ES rate that is $140 more than I paid.

Then.......

Send in the paper work for when a lower rate is offered to get the credit for the M=M rate?

I would doublecheck with the Carnival rep as to whether or not this paid upgrade changes your booking type. I"ve read lots of stories on here where people didn't realize they were upgrading themselves out of the Early Saver program.

As I sat here pondering it, I'm sure I would lose my ES status if I move my room. I would really like to get the M=M rate so it's no change in price.

I too wonder if it's too close to my sailing to change.

So I'm on the horn right now with them.

UPDATE:

I did end up paying the $140 and changing my rate to the Easy Saver.

I'm a little sad that I couldn't get the M=M rate but $2266 is only $54 more than I paid in August when I booked my cruise. So I really can't complain.

Okay, I'm confused...

I thought "upgrading" referred to the level of the cabin, example: an balcony cabin is an upgrade from an oceanview.

Why is the Carnival rep referring to this example as a "downgrade" because the price is LESS for a balcony than the OP paid for an oceanview category?

I don't think I"ll EVER get this straight, but for some reason, I keep trying!!!!

OP: glad you got a balcony!

Peg

Update-Update:So last week I put in the form for the M=M price.I GOT IT!!!!Today I woke to an email with a $440 on board credit.I never thought I would get it but figured meh give it a try.

So you paid $140 for $440 OBC? You're still Up $300 !

panama

Archived