Policy on UK residents using US travel agents

kiwi_sparkles

My apologies if this has been asked numerous times before - I looked over the past few pages but couldn't see anything.

I just wanted to check if anyone knows what Cunard's policy is on UK residents using US travel agents? I know some lines are quite strict and won't allow this to be done, but the US agent that I've spoken to says its fine.

We are looking at doing a transatlantic departing from NYC and are booking air separately using airmiles, so the booking would be for cruise only. We've only ever done one cruise (Celebrity last year) so no idea on Cunard's policies.

Any advice appreciated and again my apologies if this is a repeat topic!

My first QM2 TA in 2007 was booked with a Florida agent and there were no problems except when I came to make my next booking (with Cunard UK) and they didn't initially recognise my Club number as it was a US one bu they sorted that out.

However, I, too, was under the impression that they have since changed to not accepting bookings for UK residents via US agaents. I believe this is the Carnival-wide policy now.

It may be that given your are doing an eastbound, the agent knows it can get around the policy to no-one's detriment.

Some unscrupulous agents in the USA are taking bookings and putting in a false address which needs to be changed later on the cruise personaliser. I have heard that if found out the passengers can find their bookings cancelled even at the last minute but it could be scaremongoring.We booked through our favourite USA travel agent last year but with Holland America. Apparantly only allowed if we had previously booked through them.

The following holds for Holland America and Princess only.

Unless you had a prior relationship with your international client prior to the end of 2010, booking international clients will result in the loss of commission. No bookings are cancelled by the respective cruiseline. But if they were discounted, the agent would have to remit the difference to bring the booking to gross, otherwise it would cancel due to insufficient payment.

Archived