Another thread on the beds.

garet

Just home from a wonderful cruise on the Caribbean Princess. The crew and staff were all welcoming and lovely. The Crown Grill served outstanding food and the service was friendly and attentive. The sanctuary is our favorite hangout..lots of wonderful R and R happening up there. I think one of the reasons that we love the loungers in the Sanctuary is because the beds in our stateroom were so awful. When I lifted up the mattress, there were several beach towels folded and placed on top of the springs..I guess for support or something? . I complained to my room steward and he was able to change the mattresses to another pair. He explained that there were no new extra mattresses on board but he could make a switch and hope they would be better...and they were somewhat better.

I was grateful that they very quickly addressed the mattress issue, but it seems like it is just a bandaid solution.

I recognize that it is a $$ issue..does anyone think the Royal will have any different mattresses.?..maybe I will have to cruise with a chiropractor..

Our last cruise was on the Ruby Princess in a mini suite and the bed was great. It was, the newest ship in the fleet at the time. (last August), The Mini Suites have as a bonus, a "pillow top" mattress. The new Royal will certainly have newer mattresses than those on a much older ship like the Caribbean Princess.

I know what you mean about the uncomforable beds on Princess, but on our recent cruise on Caribbean Princess in an aft facing balcony cabin on Baja deck, the bed (with an egg-crate) was comfortable enough. The pillows left something to be desired however and we asked our steward for softer ones, which he brought, but they were very small and flimsy.

We were on the Riviera Deck on the CB 3 weeks ago, no problem with the bed, even without an eggcrate topper. I think I read somewhere on a thread that they are replacing mattresses, certain number at a time. Pillow preference is such a subjective thing - I know one was too firm, and the other was too squishy -- didn't have one "just right" so I just made do....

I sailed on the Sapphire Princess in December and had a great mattress in a mini-suite. I am one of the biggest complainers about Princess mattresses, I think. So, it was wonderful for me to have been able to sleep in that mini without any topper. I had brought my own foam topper and didn't need to use it! Well, then in January I sailed in a balcony cabin on the Ruby Princess. The mattress was as hard as a rock. I brought my own topper and it was still too hard. I asked the steward if he could help and he located a pillowtop like mattress pad. It helped. After another day I added my own foam topper to the pillowtop pad and it was better. I could sleep. Princess advertises premium mattresses in mini's and above. I often cruise solo, so it's very expensive for me to upgrade to a mini from a balcony. I think it's awful to think that I have to pay so much extra to have a comfortable bed. I wish they'd invest in decent mattresses for all cabins.

The bed on my Star cruise last year was a pillowtop and I had a Caribe balcony. My bed on the Island last October in an oceanview was one of the older mattresses but I slept well every night. Just returned from the Crown where I had a Caribe balcony, and a pillowtop with a very padded mattress pad. Slept well every night.

Archived