The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

This thread is a mine of good information but the one salient point that stands out for me is the cost of drinks on board as well as the cost of the drinks packages.

It is theft on a grand scale.

I am on a Carnival ship this July and they are quoting a price of $26.50 plus "gratuity" for a bottle of Californian Sauvignon Blanc which you can get for £5.00 or $7.50 in my local store.:mad::mad:

Now that is robbery in anyones book.

p.s. Does anyone know if Carnival sell house wines at the restaurants like HAL and Cunard perchance

No, that is not robbery in anyone's book. Robbery happens when something of value is forcefully removed from your immediate possession.

You do not have to buy what they are selling!

I agree about the hotel part but I should have emphasised that if you want a drink on your balcony you will be robbed by their high pricing if you buy from the cruise bars. In a hotel we always take a few drinks with us when we are getting ready, relaxing etc etc:)

With the baggage screening nowadays that may not be possible. They are basically holding you to ransom IF you like to have a drink.

Really??? Holding you to ransom??? You do know that cruising is a voluntary activity which no one is required to do, right??? :rolleyes:

:confused: Someone said that the Cheers Program is no longer going to be accepted on Half Moon Cay, is this true?? That's one reason we were going to buy it on our next cruise.

Yes that is true. My theory is that there is no way to monitor the number of drinks as they write everything down instead of running through the computer. At least that is what they did the last time I was on HMC.

So you can be charged all day on your sail and sign card but they can't track your Cheers program?

:rolleyes:

Why bother getting the Cheers program if you are stopping at HMC then?

Heck...avoid the the tenders and the crowds and stay on board pool side.

Have the pool to yourself and enjoy the drinks on your cheers program rather than forking more money over to them for no reason.

No other cruise line runs their pre-paid drink programs this way, do they?

Heck...avoid the the tenders and the crowds and stay on board pool side.

Have the pool to yourself and enjoy the drinks on your cheers program rather than forking more money over to them for no reason.

You could, but then you run into that pesky 15 drink limit thing. ;)

On the other hand, one wouldn't expect the cheers program to cover drinking in any other port would one?

You could, but then you run into that pesky 15 drink limit thing. ;)

On the other hand, one wouldn't expect the cheers program to cover drinking in any other port would one?

I would expect the Cheers Program to be in effect anywhere that I could use my Sail & Sign card.

HMC is not "any other port". You do not have a choice as to what establishment you wish to spend your money at. :D

I would expect the Cheers Program to be in effect anywhere that I could use my Sail & Sign card.

HMC is not "any other port". You do not have a choice as to what establishment you wish to spend your money at. :D

I agree. It's unfortunate that they're not allowing it on HMC anymore, and that will probably change our decision whether or not to purchase it, especially now that they raised the price. JH claims it's due to "operational difficulties."

I agree. It's unfortunate that they're not allowing it on HMC anymore, and that will probably change our decision whether or not to purchase it, especially now that they raised the price. JH claims it's due to "operational difficulties."

They need to hire smarter people then....LOL

Other cruise lines have had beverage programs for years. How can you take something that is already being done successfully elsewhere, and turn it into a huge cluster?

Oooops...sorry, I forgot who I was talking about...LOL

They really need to promote from within and move some of the ships crew into land based positions, as that is where they are weakest.

They really need to promote from within and move some of the ships crew into land based positions, as that is where they are weakest.

Can you imagine how fast the new schedules would come out if Ketut the Steward was in charge of them?

I am trying to confirm, bit the rumor was you will be refunded the remainder of the program, and have to buy at full price for the rest of the cruise.

From what was going on during my last cruise...no one was getting cut off, even then ones puking all over the pool deck, even the ones canon balling into the pool on top of children, even the ones with the titty bong, insisting everyone use it with them, even the ones doing the striptease during the hair chest contest (apparently they miss understood what hair was being judged):eek:...lol

I saw many people sharing a card because by 10am they had already had their daily limit. Granted, the program was very new and had just opened up for this ship...hopefully they have a handle on it now because it was reminding me of why carnival used to have such a bad reputation.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a responsible drinker, it is actually a good program but the staff really needed to be a bit more trained for the events that took place.

From what was going on during my last cruise...no one was getting cut off, even then ones puking all over the pool deck, even the ones canon balling into the pool on top of children, even the ones with the titty bong, insisting everyone use it with them, even the ones doing the striptease during the hair chest contest (apparently they miss understood what hair was being judged):eek:...lol

I saw many people sharing a card because by 10am they had already had their daily limit. Granted, the program was very new and had just opened up for this ship...hopefully they have a handle on it now because it was reminding me of why carnival used to have such a bad reputation.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a responsible drinker, it is actually a good program but the staff really needed to be a bit more trained for the events that took place.

Well trained staff do not need a card to tell them when to cut people off.

:p:rolleyes:

Well trained staff do not need a card to tell them when to cut people off.

:p:rolleyes:

They were not trained in cutting people off period...card or not.

It became a game to see who could use up their drink allowance the fastest and the bartenders were encouraging it.

Edited by caribbean dreams

Wait since when??

Looks like I'm not doing this program anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked at my last cruises bar bill, between 2 of us it was $531.10 and we drank quite a bit, plus we bought a bottle for the cabin $65.00 ...still cheaper if this is the new price.

Wait since when??

Looks like I'm not doing this program anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read on the boards that the price has gone up and it is now $57.50 pp per day with gratuity. If it goes up anymore I don't think I'll participate during my 8/21 trip on splendor-it wouldn't be worth it with all the limitations.

They were not trained in cutting people off period...card or not.

It became a game to see who could use up their drink allowance the fastest and the bartenders were encouraging it.

That is gonna bite Carnival in the butt. There are reasons why bartenders are trained in when to cut people off. I am amazed that their insurance carrier doesn't mandate it.

I've read on the boards that the price has gone up and it is now $57.50 pp per day with gratuity. If it goes up anymore I don't think I'll participate during my 8/21 trip on splendor-it wouldn't be worth it with all the limitations.

I just spoke with a rep and they said $42.95.