A very lengthy review of Carnival Miracle 2/10/13 with TONS of PICTURES

BuffaloBoy

Thank you for the review of the Miracle. We are going to sail her for 15 days and hope that our experience is different from yours. We have been cruising for 25+ years and honestly only had two cruises that made us both say" well is this what we want to do and is the line we want to do it on". One was on a Carnival cruise and it started from the first night and continued thru the end. Not enough to say enough! but my husband did not cruise for 2 years until I talked him into it again. The other was on RCCL. It was like Carnival one thing after another. The funny thing is that both times reading posts after coming back there were many touting "this was the best cruise ever". Guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder.

As your advice to the poster that said she was going on her first cruise and that she would be ok because she had could not compare to the others. Honestly most cruiselines, NCL,RCCL and Carnival are more similar than different. We just all have different expectations going in. I am so sorry you did not have a good cruise. The dining room experience especially bothers me. I am one that is a rule follower, but geeesh some rules can be broken. They could have sat you quickly and no one would have seen your shorts.

I was reminded how people see the same situation so differently last night at my business. We had a child that was disobeying the rules and creating a safety hazard. She was told after 3 times that she needed just to sit out and her Mother became so enraged she is taking her to another gym. 2 hours later a Mother came up to us and said that her picky ex had been with her rather "busy" child last week and was so impressed with how we handle rowdy children making them mind and sitting out. Same situation 2 entirely different points of view. I feel the same about the cruiselines. I am thankful for your review and that you handled yourself well in such a situation. I just hope that you will not encounter such problems on another cruiseline.

Wonderful post with lots of wisdom!

First, I know how you feel. Some trips just seem to go in the direction yours went. Out of 10 cruises we have had two that I can think of where things were just off.

Outside of that, I think some of things are just Carnival. We have only sailed with them and they just seem normal to us. For example your cheese and ham sandwich, that's how all mine have been. The buffet food, yup. There has been a decline since we started cursing, but it's still the least expensive option for a family vacation.

People have compared it to a Circus Circus hotel, I walked in to one once with my children to see the children's area. We walked out. There is no way that Carnival is on that level. But it definitely is a value line. I mean I took 5 cruises last year. No way could I have done that on Royal.

It may sound sad, but these ships feel like home. Bad food and all. We do want to try Royal as it is more like hotels and resorts we stay at (aesthetics wise) But are worried we won't want to come back to Carnival.

Anyhow, It does seem like you guys were able to squeeze some fun out of your trip. Jealous about Disney World. We have passes to Disneyland, but have never been to the Magic Kingdom.

You have some patience my friend. I couldn't book again with a Cruise line where I knew I was going to get cold food over and over and bad food almost every day!!!

Sounds like you have accepted it though.

Buffalo Boy,

If you say you will never go on another Carnival Cruise again, I highly, highly recommend you try Cunard. I can't say enough good things about them. Especially if you don't have kids yet- I say that because they do not discount child fares; you pay the same as an adult. The positive to this of course is that you have a quiet ship, the negative is that now that we have a child it makes it out of the question for us at the moment financially.

The ship is basically a floating palace. It has a planetarium on board, for crying out loud! Once you are on board, the charges for "extras" like cans of pop are very low- like, less than a typical vending machine. There are 8 restaurants on board offering (in my opinion, as a chef) 5 star meals for no surcharges. Pretty much once you pay your fare, you pretty much don't need to pull out your wallet again, except for wine at supper (being a British ship, you benefit from European duty rates on wine- so you truly can get some excellent wines at just $25 a bottle. This would be unheard of in a regular restaurant on land) or other alcohol. We bought alcohol in port and brought it back to our room. I assumed that all cruise ships had the same policy, clearly I was wrong about that!

Simply put, Cunard just gets everything right. I think I am their biggest fan!

Buffalo Boy,

If you say you will never go on another Carnival Cruise again, I highly, highly recommend you try Cunard. I can't say enough good things about them. Especially if you don't have kids yet- I say that because they do not discount child fares; you pay the same as an adult. The positive to this of course is that you have a quiet ship, the negative is that now that we have a child it makes it out of the question for us at the moment financially.

The ship is basically a floating palace. It has a planetarium on board, for crying out loud! Once you are on board, the charges for "extras" like cans of pop are very low- like, less than a typical vending machine. There are 8 restaurants on board offering (in my opinion, as a chef) 5 star meals for no surcharges. Pretty much once you pay your fare, you pretty much don't need to pull out your wallet again, except for wine at supper (being a British ship, you benefit from European duty rates on wine- so you truly can get some excellent wines at just $25 a bottle. This would be unheard of in a regular restaurant on land) or other alcohol. We bought alcohol in port and brought it back to our room. I assumed that all cruise ships had the same policy, clearly I was wrong about that!

Simply put, Cunard just gets everything right. I think I am their biggest fan!

Wow!! I gotta check them out. Have you written a review?

Great Review.

We had a horrible experience on Mainer of the Seas and havent been back to RCCL since, because they really blew us off.

Now we mostly sail Holland Americas two newest ships, (believe you me, they really make things right when things go very wrong) NCL and looking forward to the Sunshine.

It just goes to show how a positive or negative experience can really alter your perceptions. We almost got completely scared off of Holland America because of complaints on that board about major maintenance problems and HAL's lack of response.

Mariner of the Seas is my favorite ship...I've been on that ship twice, and everything has been "perfect!" On the other hand, I would have to think long and hard about returning to the Explorer of the Seas, yet many people love that ship.

Very well said.

And as I have noted, Im not someone who is going to purposely break rules. It was simply a situation issue that could have been handled better and I believe would have been handled better by RCCL or Norwegian based on my prior experience with them.

Or who knows? Maybe not.

Thanks for your review...you are balanced and have an ability to kindly yet clearly disagree. I am glad you literally made lemonade out of it all..bad joke.

When I went on the Spirit Easter cruise I signed up for the steak house the first night just at boarding and waiting for the room. The lady gave me a once over that said, "I sure hope her luggage arrives before 6 PM" and the double evil eye at my tennis shoes.

Low and behold I was able to get to my dressy top, slinky easy wash black pants and open healed sandals with low heal for everything dress that trip.

The same lady led me to my table with a relieved smile...but..two big fellows who looked to be a dad and a son were in the shorts and tops not as dressy as you describe at table in front of me and I was dining alone..so what gives? I was at least as pretty as they were before i changed if I do say so myself..my slightly too fluffy self. Ha ha..

Were they repeat cruisers in suites or what? So sorry, you had a good reason and things are not egalitarian.

Carnival is/was a good product but things have slipped too far IMHO..only have 2 cruises and want to continue a few short ones with them..but I am watching everything and we need honest reviews from people who take the good with the bad and try to affect positive change the right way.

My lido food tasted blah looked good but tasted blah...even waldorf salad. I make one that tasted good from Wallmart shopping in MT in the winter..it can be done easily.

Spirit was nothing like first cruise on the Paradise in all food departments..from 2009 to 2012. Thanks for your review, not putting down the great things..but trying to facilitate the bad..this is good with Triumph and all.....we can get our Carnival back I hope.....Sarah

Hi, I was in one of the french door cabins that were duct taped closed the day before you boarded the ship. The Miracle was returning to NYC in the noreaster that brought so much snow to CT and MA,on the ocean the winds were 60-65 mph pushing the door lock open,the temp in the room was about 50,I was napping with my knitted hat on and an extra blanket,the wind noise was really loud,the maintenance staff was very helpful but could not get the door to stay closed. The only thing that worked was duct tape,the temp rose about 15 degrees,it was quiet. There were about 9 other cabins that had the same thing happen. I'm surprised you did not take the duct tape off before most of your cruise was over. The doors were heavy did not stay open,so we used them briefly,just stuck our head out each day,they do not stay open like a balcony door. I wish the new ships had this option I would book this type cabin every time,yes,the lifeboat blocked the view but you can see the ocean under it. My big complaint the hot tubs were filled with children,I got in once early in the am.

I am amazed...well not really

I have also cruised the Miracle 4 times...each and every time I have noticed things not as good.

Don`t get me wrong nothing that horrible that I wouldn`t book another Carnival cruise...but not as good as the year before.

But some of you are like coming to the carnival rescue....and yes whether you realize it downplaying some of the issues the OP had.

I for one would have really asked for my cabin to be changed...and not taken the first "oh well" attitude that does seem to be the standard for CCL now

Really Crusing Nut...four times...and you don`t notice the cutbacks...the cheapening of the buffet...guess they ran out of the rose colored glasses when I was on her May 2012

BTW it is now 'Brunch"...in the MDR

I love the Miracle...the crew...the food...yeah not so much...would I sail on her again...ABSOLUTELY...but realistically not with rose colored glasses

JMHO

Well thanks for pointing out that I must be wearing Rose Colored glasses because I did not have a bad experience on the Miracle all the times that I sailed her.

The cut backs that I noticed were not on the Miracle, but hey since you claim to know how I feel and when, have a go at it.

I ate lunch on the Victory, not brunch. Dining room closed down at 9:30 reopened at 11:30 and reclosed at 1:00. I believe I have the closing times right. As far as the timing of brunch, IMO, that usually starts at 10:00 and closes at 11:00.

When I went on the Spirit Easter cruise I signed up for the steak house the first night just at boarding and waiting for the room. The lady gave me a once over that said, "I sure hope her luggage arrives before 6 PM" and the double evil eye at my tennis shoes.

Low and behold I was able to get to my dressy top, slinky easy wash black pants and open healed sandals with low heal for everything dress that trip.

The same lady led me to my table with a relieved smile...but..two big fellows who looked to be a dad and a son were in the shorts and tops not as dressy as you describe at table in front of me and I was dining alone..so what gives? I was at least as pretty as they were before i changed if I do say so myself..my slightly too fluffy self. Ha ha..

.....Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I will be solo on my next cruise. I would like to do the Steakhouse the first night since it is usually less crowded. Do you know if they offer the first night free bottle of wine to a solo diner or do they make another offering for just one person?

Sorry I am a little off topic but I didn't know how to "private message" Sarah.

Hi Sarah,

I will be solo on my next cruise. I would like to do the Steakhouse the first night since it is usually less crowded. Do you know if they offer the first night free bottle of wine to a solo diner or do they make another offering for just one person?

Sorry I am a little off topic but I didn't know how to "private message" Sarah.

Hello, no problem nor do I..yes they did offer the wine to a solo and that was a nice plus, It was a drinkable table wine..a merlot I think and with the bottle I brought on and I believe about 3 drinks purchased throughout the 5 night cruise was a nice way to limit that expense but enjoy one when i wanted...a glass of wine getting ready in your inside cabin even, is nice. They let me take the corked bottle and unfinished wine to my room. I bet they would also allow you to keep it at your table if dining at same table whole cruise...they do that for solo drinkers so one bottle can go a few nights....

Insides on Carnival are no way like some closets I have been in at 20..changed my mind entirely in being able to do it.

Also, in retrospect they may have been trying to maintain the guest code but less strict in the end for early dinners who may still be awaiting luggage.

There were a couple things wrong with even that dinner. But it was a lovely way to start, had many good things, and made you feel you were on a smaller ship of your with more fussy and sweet service...I loved the steak house and the Art Nouveau Style of decor on the Spirit and sipping wine and watching folks outside stroll and the sea beyond on a nice window seat in the early evening light.

I think you may be mistaken in this case. This flower was definitely wilted and dying. Here is a picture of the rose I paid for next to the free rose they gave away at dinner. The free rose looks much better.

11277_971747638487_1233715262_n.jpg

644432_971747878007_958619177_n.jpg

I just dont see how stripping away of petals could have saved this.

The other is a carnation, not a rose, the rose didn't look that wilted in the first shot, but it still didn't look great either. I would have been disappointed too with the experiences you had, especially since they did not handle your complaints while on board very well. I was very disappointed in the food our last trip as well. However, the positive outweighs the negative for me. Thank you for your review, enjoyed it.

A few photos of our "Duct tape door" that we had to unscrew to get open. I wish I didn't take a bunch of the duct tape off before taking the picture. It was quite the sight!

Sorry, haven't read through all posts yet, but was wondering which 4K cabin you had ??

Edit: Just found my answer on Page 7 ! :) We have 4140 on 3/16/13 (have had it before with no duct tape !)

The other is a carnation, not a rose, the rose didn't look that wilted in the first shot, but it still didn't look great either. I would have been disappointed too with the experiences you had, especially since they did not handle your complaints while on board very well. I was very disappointed in the food our last trip as well. However, the positive outweighs the negative for me. Thank you for your review, enjoyed it.

I think the positives equaled the negatives for us. But even if the positives slightly outweighed the negatives, we don't see why we wouldn't simply Cruise another line where the positives FAR outweigh any negative. Ya know what I mean?

I don't want to continue throwing money at mediocrity. :(

Well thanks for pointing out that I must be wearing Rose Colored glasses because I did not have a bad experience on the Miracle all the times that I sailed her.

The cut backs that I noticed were not on the Miracle, but hey since you claim to know how I feel and when, have a go at it.

I ate lunch on the Victory, not brunch. Dining room closed down at 9:30 reopened at 11:30 and reclosed at 1:00. I believe I have the closing times right. As far as the timing of brunch, IMO, that usually starts at 10:00 and closes at 11:00.

I understand that it can feel frustrating to see posts like that - it seems like they're attacking you. But I don't think thats how he meant his post. I think he was just saying he finds it odd that you aren't able to see the massive cutbacks.

But that goes back to what I was saying before. It's about perception. Some people pay for a vacation and expect a good Cruise equal to what they received in the past or on other lines. While others simply enjoy whatever their given. Neither is wrong, just different.

Also, he is right - at least on the Miracle anywhere. Theyre only doing Brunch now.

Thank you for an honest review. It was very well written and I applaud your maturity and attitude with how you handled the problems you encountered. Hope your injury has healed. Wish you had tried a turkey wrap at the deli. YUMMO! ;) Happy cruising to you and your DW. Don't forget to pack 2 pairs of pants next time! :D:p

I understand that it can feel frustrating to see posts like that - it seems like they're attacking you. But I don't think thats how he meant his post. I think he was just saying he finds it odd that you aren't able to see the massive cutbacks.

But that goes back to what I was saying before. It's about perception. Some people pay for a vacation and expect a good Cruise equal to what they received in the past or on other lines. While others simply enjoy whatever their given. Neither is wrong, just different.

Also, he is right - at least on the Miracle anywhere. Theyre only doing Brunch now.

I expect to get a good cruise for my money, nor am I just accepting what I get. I sailed in Jan 2011 on her and there were not cutbacks. They did not do brunch on the Miracle at that time, nor did they do brunch on the Victory this year.

I did notice the cutbacks but not on the Miracle when I sailed her last. I can't see how I can make this any clearer.

Thank you for an honest review. It was very well written and I applaud your maturity and attitude with how you handled the problems you encountered. Hope your injury has healed. Wish you had tried a turkey wrap at the deli. YUMMO! ;) Happy cruising to you and your DW. Don't forget to pack 2 pairs of pants next time! :D:p

Thanks so much!

I would have packed two if I owned two! I only own one pair of dress pants. I wear mostly dress shorts to work.

I expect to get a good cruise for my money, nor am I just accepting what I get. I sailed in Jan 2011 on her and there were not cutbacks. They did not do brunch on the Miracle at that time, nor did they do brunch on the Victory this year.

I did notice the cutbacks but not on the Miracle when I sailed her last. I can't see how I can make this any clearer.

Ok sounds good :)

Archived