Need clothing help, first time cruiser on breakaway to Bermuda in May

a2stylist

I know dressing "up" is optional and I typically wear a lot of sun dresses and skirts in the warm weather anyhow, but do I bring dressy or formal wear too? I'm lost and need to start shopping :) Tia -Amy

You can bring clothing as dressy or as formal as you like but it's certainly not required. You can wear a nice sundress to dinner as well as wearing it during the day. I was on the Bermuda run (on the Star) in May and September last year and I wore sundresses, playsuits, shorts, jeans, t-shirts, cocktail dresses and more.

It will probably be in the 80s in Bermuda but about the 60s in NY. So as long as you have clothing to deal with both types of weather you'll be comfortable both on and off of the ship. :)

If you'd like more ideas check out the Fashion Section of the board.

I know dressing "up" is optional and I typically wear a lot of sun dresses and skirts in the warm weather anyhow, but do I bring dressy or formal wear too? I'm lost and need to start shopping :) Tia -Amy

On my cruise there was a "Dress Up or Not" night. Some got really dressed up (lots of sparkle), while others were casual. It is your choice! On most days, I wore shorts and t-shirts changed into something a little nicer for dinner (pants and shirt or a casual dress), but nothing I would have considered dressy or formal wear and never felt out of place.

Enjoy your first cruise and I'm sure whatever you chose to wear will be just fine!

We were in Bermuda in May, 2011 on the Gem. One very important piece of clothing to bring is a rain poncho. We were rained on every day while in port. It was usually fleeting rain, but enough that a poncho was necessary. They are only a couple of bucks at WalMart or Target, don't take up much room, but make a huge difference in your enjoyment of Bermuda. Otherwise shorts and sandals worked for me and capris and sandals for DW. Bare skin in sandals dries much faster than wet socks.

Archived