Local Currencies for Baltic

Baby Hughy

The last time I checked this is a chip and signature card --not a chip and pin card. Has it changed?

I got my card in the mail today. According to the info that came with it "Making a purchase outside of the U.S. is easy. Simply insert you card into the chip card reader and provide your signature. No PIN required." So, I guess that would make it chip and signature, not chip and PIN. Also says that a PIN will be mailed to me shortly and I can use the PIN to get cash at ATMS. Can I use the same PIN when making purchases if the merchant requires one? Apparently this card isn't going to be as useful as I originally thought. Does the chip with out "chip and PIN" help me at all? At least it's no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee so I guess doesn't hurt to have it.

I got my card in the mail today. According to the info that came with it "Making a purchase outside of the U.S. is easy. Simply insert you card into the chip card reader and provide your signature. No PIN required." So, I guess that would make it chip and signature, not chip and PIN. Also says that a PIN will be mailed to me shortly and I can use the PIN to get cash at ATMS. Can I use the same PIN when making purchases if the merchant requires one? Apparently this card isn't going to be as useful as I originally thought. Does the chip with out "chip and PIN" help me at all? At least it's no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee so I guess doesn't hurt to have it.

I have read about people using the pin they assign for the cash advance (ATM machines) and it has worked out fine. They weren't charged the cash advance fees.

BTW does anyone know what the different currency denominations are for the Kroner, Krone, and Euros? I don't want the bank sticking me with large denominations. Also can you order Rubbles in advance. I thought I read it was a controlled currency and can't be brought in or out of Russia. Is that still true?

FWIW, for those starting their Baltic tour in the UK, the dollar is going up against the pound. I was going to buy some pounds this week so that we could arrive at the airport with cash and was surprised at the exchange rate (my currency app says $1.51/£ ). DH says the Wall Street Journal said this weekend that it is expected to fall further against the dollar. So I'm waiting till it gets closer to our departure date.

Hi,

Cards do not come more useful than yours! :)

It has a chip so can be used with just a signature for purchases as your bank says, or with your PIN if that is what the merchant requires. And as it has both chip and PIN it can be used in all ATM and vending machines.

And no fees ! ;) You can 'shop til you drop' :D Enjoy !

Happy cruising :)

Anni

PS Cards and PINs are always mailed separately to avoid the chance of a thief getting their hands on both.

My husband and I are going on a Baltic cruise and I would like to photograph some of the "Russian Folklore Extravaganza" in St. Petersburg. It says there is a fee for photography, and that exact change is required, but it doesn't say how much the fee is. Does anyone know what we can expect?

My husband and I are going on a Baltic cruise and I would like to photograph some of the "Russian Folklore Extravaganza" in St. Petersburg. It says there is a fee for photography, and that exact change is required, but it doesn't say how much the fee is. Does anyone know what we can expect?

Are you going on a cruise ship tour or with a private tour company? If it is with the private company I'd just ask them to include the photography fee in the price of the tour.

• 4 weeks later...
The last time I checked this is a chip and signature card --not a chip and pin card. Has it changed?

I also just received this card. It is a chip and signature card, and though you will get a PIN, the PIN is for cash advances to your credit card. It won't work as a chip and PIN card. But I am told there are still some advantages to having at least a chip and signature. In some countries, mostly smaller out of the way places, they don't have the reader for the magnetic strip cards. So, it helps a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Also can you order Rubbles in advance. I thought I read it was a controlled currency and can't be brought in or out of Russia. Is that still true?

I've read this before also, but I checked my bank's site where I can order foreign currency and rubles are listed as available to order. I plan to get some before we go as the fee for using an ATM that isn't in my bank's system is ridiculous. It's either $3.50 or $5.00. I feel more comfortable having a little bit of the local currency on hand, just in case. Any I don't spend I can use to supplement our tips.

I've read this before also, but I checked my bank's site where I can order foreign currency and rubles are listed as available to order. I plan to get some before we go as the fee for using an ATM that isn't in my bank's system is ridiculous. It's either $3.50 or $5.00. I feel more comfortable having a little bit of the local currency on hand, just in case. Any I don't spend I can use to supplement our tips.

I'm trying to decide how much of each currency I want to get. I'm waiting on my tour guide to email me back what she thinks would be good to have. I just don't want to have to try and figure out if I'm getting ripped off by using Dollars or Euros. I mainly want it for cafe's and street vendors.

Same goes with the other countries. I am going to have one colorful and interesting wallet on this trip.

ETA: Which bank do you use? I can't seem to find anything on the Chase website but found how to order online with BOA.

I'm trying to decide how much of each currency I want to get. I'm waiting on my tour guide to email me back what she thinks would be good to have. I just don't want to have to try and figure out if I'm getting ripped off by using Dollars or Euros. I mainly want it for cafe's and street vendors.

Same goes with the other countries. I am going to have one colorful and interesting wallet on this trip.

ETA: Which bank do you use? I can't seem to find anything on the Chase website but found how to order online with BOA.

I'm the same way; I'll just feel better having some of the local currency in my wallet.

Wells Fargo

I use Chase. I checked with the bank and they said I should come in and place an order. The money is then fedexed.

I did that last time. I was just hoping that maybe they would have changed this and offered an online option.

Archived