Local Currencies for Baltic

Baby Hughy

most of these countries will accept the euro as well as local currency not sure about Gdansk. But both finland and Tallin are now on the Euro, euro is widely accepted in Copenhagen cant remember if its the same for Stockholm but Im sure it was.

that said we usually take local currency when we go but most baltic currency are happy to accept the euro

We are cruising in the Baltic this Aug and am wondering which currencies to use in the following ports.

Stockholm, Heksinki, Tallinn, Gdansk, Copenhagen.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

Currencies are as follows:

Copenhagen - Danish Krone (DKK)

Helsinki - Euro

Tallinn - Euro

Stockholm - Swedish Krona (SEK)

Gdansk - Polish Zloty

jill

Hi, Bill,

You've not mentioned St Petersburg.

You'll be on a tour, ship-sponsored or organised by a local operator, & you'll be able to buy souvenirs etc at selected outlets using plastic or USD or euros, so it's not desperately important to have roubles.

But your lunchtime restaurants for instance will probably only accept roubles, not plastic or other currencies -problematic if you want a beer or such.

Your guide's tip can be in any currency, so we took that much with us in roubles - it's reassuring to have some local money in my pocket. Spent some on beers, made up the shortfall in the tip with euros.

Just a thought ;)

JB :)

Hi, Bill,

You've not mentioned St Petersburg.

You'll be on a tour, ship-sponsored or organised by a local operator, & you'll be able to buy souvenirs etc at selected outlets using plastic or USD or euros, so it's not desperately important to have roubles.

But your lunchtime restaurants for instance will probably only accept roubles, not plastic or other currencies -problematic if you want a beer or such.

Your guide's tip can be in any currency, so we took that much with us in roubles - it's reassuring to have some local money in my pocket. Spent some on beers, made up the shortfall in the tip with euros.

Just a thought ;)

JB :)

Did you get the roubles in the UK or from at ATM is St. Petersburg?

Did you get the roubles in the UK or from at ATM is St. Petersburg?

I am about 85-90% certain I remember getting our rubles at an ATM right there in the cruise terminal. But it has been almost 6 years since we were there, so the mind could be playing tricks.

I read a couple CC posts from people who said that their bank told them not to use ATMS in Germany for security reasons. Has anybody else heard this? No mention of it in Rick Steves. Germany is our first euro stop and I don't think we have enough left over from our last trip to pay for lunch, souvenirs, and tip the tour guide and driver so were planning to use an ATM there. (Rick Steves does say that most places in Germany want cash instead of credit cards.)

I am about 85-90% certain I remember getting our rubles at an ATM right there in the cruise terminal. But it has been almost 6 years since we were there, so the mind could be playing tricks.

Depending on your cruiseline, there may NOT be a terminal there. The smaller ships (Oceania, Azamara, Seabourne, maybe others) dock in the river right near the Hermitage. No terminal there.

I read a couple CC posts from people who said that their bank told them not to use ATMS in Germany for security reasons. Has anybody else heard this? No mention of it in Rick Steves. Germany is our first euro stop and I don't think we have enough left over from our last trip to pay for lunch, souvenirs, and tip the tour guide and driver so were planning to use an ATM there. (Rick Steves does say that most places in Germany want cash instead of credit cards.)

Hi, I have been visiting/living in Germany for 10 years now and have never heard of any warnings re security and ATMs either locally or from my bank in Australia. In fact, to draw money from an ATM here is more secure than in some countries as the machines will not accept a card unless it has both a CHIP and PIN.

As for cash versus cards, it used to be the case that cards were not widely accepted but things have changed although cards must have the chip technology.

You will need cash for cafes, restrooms, markets, small shops, street vendors.

Mastercard and Visa with a signature are usually accepted (as long as they have a chip) in most restaurants, department stores and larger shops with the exception of Supermarkets. Most places catering to tourists take cards but some require a PIN.

Machines (eg ATMs and some ticket machines) require a chip and PIN

My experience in Germany is that although you can use your card, if it is the right type, you will also need a little cash.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

None of my credit cards have a chip (that I know of). We use debit cards in ATM not credit cards. We have pins for those. That is what we used in London and in Malta on our last trip (2009).

Any Americans have trouble using their debit cards in ATMs?

I think I will apply for a chip and pin credit card just to be safe but don't like to use credit cards at the ATM because they usually treat it as a cash advance and start charging interest right away.

We are cruising in the Baltic this Aug and am wondering which currencies to use in the following ports.

Stockholm, Heksinki, Tallinn, Gdansk, Copenhagen.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

We were on this itineary a few years ago.

I would use a credit card (capital one charges no exchange fees) whenever possible. The ATM charges are outrageous!

When we were there, every country had their own currency, so from reading some answers, it looks like a couple of those countries are on the Euro.

One warning, which was the bain of my DH existance while we were there, is that you have to pay for the toilets,:eek: so you need to make sure that you have some of the proper coinage for each country.

Jeanne

None of my credit cards have a chip (that I know of). We use debit cards in ATM not credit cards. We have pins for those. That is what we used in London and in Malta on our last trip (2009).

Any Americans have trouble using their debit cards in ATMs?

I think I will apply for a chip and pin credit card just to be safe but don't like to use credit cards at the ATM because they usually treat it as a cash advance and start charging interest right away.

I have not had trouble using ATM card in Europe BUT that was 5 years ago. Has something changed to require chip?

I use Capital 1 because of no fees but don't want to use at ATM as mentioned above.

What CC companies in US use a chip??

I have not had trouble using ATM card in Europe BUT that was 5 years ago. Has something changed to require chip?

I use Capital 1 because of no fees but don't want to use at ATM as mentioned above.

As for Sweden I think most card terminals nowdays use chip but I am not sure.

I have yet to hear of Americans not being able to use debit cards in ATMs.

I ordered a card with a chip from Bank of America but am hoping to be able to use debit cards ATMs. Will probably get a little cash for each country before we leave to be safe.

I have yet to hear of Americans not being able to use debit cards in ATMs.

I ordered a card with a chip from Bank of America but am hoping to be able to use debit cards ATMs. Will probably get a little cash for each country before we leave to be safe.

Further to this discussion I have put the questions to my local bank and this is their advice for Germany.

A US Credit Card without a chip will be accepted with a signature in most places catering to tourists. In general where there is a person to deal with the transaction, a card with just a magnetic strip can be 'swiped' but the vendor has the right to refuse a card without a chip. Small traders often do not accept credit cards as the fees charged to them by the banks are very high, especially on US cards.

A US Debit Card with a PIN but no chip can be used in some ATM's (Geldautomat) but not all, it depends on the bank. It is more likely that your card will be accepted in large, multi-bank machines, ie. those found in public places such as Railway Stations.

All vending machines eg. Public Transport ticket machines, gas-pumps, soft-drink machines etc., require a US Debit or Credit card with both chip and PIN

Unless you are spending a lot of time in one country it is usually cheaper (and safer) to withdraw cash from an ATM in each country as needed, using a debit card with a PIN, rather than to carry cash from the US.

This seems to confirm what the locals and experienced travellers have been saying on this thread.

Further to this discussion I have put the questions to my local bank and this is their advice for Germany.

A US Credit Card without a chip will be accepted with a signature in most places catering to tourists. In general where there is a person to deal with the transaction, a card with just a magnetic strip can be 'swiped' but the vendor has the right to refuse a card without a chip. Small traders often do not accept credit cards as the fees charged to them by the banks are very high, especially on US cards.

A US Debit Card with a PIN but no chip can be used in some ATM's (Geldautomat) but not all, it depends on the bank. It is more likely that your card will be accepted in large, multi-bank machines, ie. those found in public places such as Railway Stations.

All vending machines eg. Public Transport ticket machines, gas-pumps, soft-drink machines etc., require a US Debit or Credit card with both chip and PIN

Unless you are spending a lot of time in one country it is usually cheaper (and safer) to withdraw cash from an ATM in each country as needed, using a debit card with a PIN, rather than to carry cash from the US.

This seems to confirm what the locals and experienced travellers have been saying on this thread.

I'm planning on bringing small amounts of cash (equivalent of maybe $20 or $30). Don't want to have to make the ATM my first priority in each country especially since I know cash (sometimes coins) is often required to use the restroom.

I called Capital 1 and they said a chip card is "in the works". No timing when I asked. Also said that any business that accepts Visa must accept the card. Still no foreign service fee.

My plan (as of now) is to get Danish Krone in our embarkation port and Euros in our first stop. Those in addition to US$ & CC will have to suffice.

Andrews Federal Credit Union --it's associated with Andrews Air Force Base https://www.andrewsfcu.org

It takes several weeks to get approved.

I just applied for the Bank of America travel rewards card. It also does not have a foreign transacation fee and includes the chip.

Looks good b1981. Thanks, we just applied.

Archived