Best part of St. Thomas?

will773

We stay at the Sapphire Resort and agree that Sapphire is very nice. Just has more "character" than Magens and other beaches of STT. Coki is also a gorgeous bay but tends to get very crowded because it's so small. Sapphire is also close to Red Hook and the ferry to St John (and the BVI where we spend most of our time). So not only is it our favorite beach but the location is ideal.

But I think that St John is worth the extra 20 minute ferry for someone who wants to see STJ or experience even nicer beaches. The coastal tour portion of the ship-excursion is nice. But if one just wants to go to St John I would recommend a "self-excursion" rather than a ship-excursion, mainly because you have more time on STJ and more flexibility. Very easy, just taxi to Red Hook and ferry to Cruz Bay. You can walk to Honeymoon Beach or taxi to Trunk or Cinnamon, all beautiful beaches. The ship excursion is a good value and so most folks reading the options for the first time will opt for that. But after one or two visits to STT ans STJ most will do the self-excursion. The cost isn't any better (about $45pp roundtrip from the cruise dock), but it is more enjoyable for us. Also nice shops in Cruz Bay. The ship-excursion involves a 45 minute ferry ride through more open waters but if it's a nice day at sea the ride isn't bad. The Red Hook ferry is 15 - 20 min and in more protected waters.

Just different options depending on your itinerary.

We are in STT from 8-5 on nclgem. We have to tender due to there being 6 ships in port along with the epic during spring break . We only go to the beach. Is the self excursion to STJ even doable for us? We are 2 adults & a 9 yr old.

Or should we head to Magen's or sapphire?

Thx

If you want to see STJ it's a tough choice because of the extra time needed for the tendering. I can tell you that Trunk Bay will be one of the busiest beaches that day as it is one of the biggest excursions offered by the cruise lines (Magens is also going to be swamped). If you decide to go to STJ you would want to avoid Trunk and try Cinnamon Bay, and probably even less-crowded spots like Maho and Francis which have very limited amenities. I can't see going all that way to share a beach with so many fellow cruisemates, we would choose either Sapphire or Secret Harbor beach for the day. These are also gorgeous beaches on the East End of STT and you'll save a couple hours of travel time. We prefer Sapphire for several reasons, SH is nice if you want dead calm water. Both offer the amenities you want.

Magens is over-rated in our opinion and gets very crowded, we have friends who visited Magens on a cruise and they were very disappointed that it's rated as 1 of the top 10 Carib beaches. I think it's nice enough, with nice sand and very calm water, but it just lacks the "character" that Sapphire has. Similar to how Doctors Cave Beach in MoBay just exudes more character than Seven Mile Beach in Negril.

Lindquist will be the least crowded of them all and is a very naturally beautiful bay. I believe there are chair rentals and restrooms so it is going to be busier than in years past, but I haven't heard about any other amenities. $3 or 4 entrance fee if I remember right...

Lindquist is not far from Sapphire if you want to see both.

No problem! You'll like the East End beaches. Coki is also gorgeous but because it's a very small bay and offers good snorkeling it gets much busier than the other beaches. Lindquist, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet Bay make up the rest of the larger bays, here's a map for reference, just click to enlarge of the link is still there. If not it's at virginislandsthisweek dot com -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/us_virgin_islands_maps/st_thomas_island_road_map.html

Archived