? for anyone who cruised to mexico w/underage children

Just saw this and was wondering if Carnival is issuing a tourist card to all minors for cruises to mexico...we are going to cozumel on our cruise next month...

Minors traveling to Mexico

January 16, 2013—Mexican immigration policy requires that children under the age of 18 must provide the following documentation when traveling to Mexico:

If minor is traveling with only one parent:

• A valid passport

• A tourist card (to be issued by the airline or cruise before arriving in Mexico)

• A notarized letter of permission (including dates and destination) from the other legal parent, in both English and Spanish. Both letters must be notarized.

o If the other parent is absent or deceased, provide evidence of sole custody or single-parent status (e.g. death certificate, sole custody document, or “father unknown” document).

If the child's last name is different from the last name of the accompanying parent, an original document as proof of parentage is required (photocopied documents are not acceptable). Parents’ name changes must be documented (e.g., original or notarized copy of marriage certificate).

My limited understanding is that a Cruise Ship does not have to comply with immigration policies for Mexico because passengers are not completely disembarking in any Mexican town. Passengers who come in on the ship are required to go out on the ship, that is why the ship keeps track of who leaves and who returns. Also why missing a ship can lead to some expensive and time consuming hoops to jump through for said passengers.

I am traveling with a minor child not my own on my next cruise. Carnival has not informed me that I will need additional paperwork for her. Just like me, all she needs is her passport. They haven't even questioned me about a parental certificate. YMMV

We cruised to Cozumel on the DCL Magic out of Galveston on Feb. 1, 2013 with our 13 year old son (my step son). We got off the ship and had no problems getting back on with just the ships card for him. We were never asked for any ID for him or other documentation. He has a passport that was left on the ship in our room in the safe as well as a notarized letter from his biological father giving his permission to travel out of the country with us. The letter we have is in English only.

We have read over the years that Mexico requires this documentation when traveling and have had it every time we have cruised to Cozumel (4 times with my step son), but have never been asked for it.

As far as the "tourist card" being issued by Carnival, I haven't heard of anything other than the Sail and Sign card everyone gets when boarding.

We have always been prepared with the required documentation but think that while Mexico has these published requirements, they don't seem to enforce them, or at least not in Cozumel.

I took my DD on a Mexican Riviera cruise when she was 15 (2 1/2 years ago) and took the letter from her father since he opted out of that cruise, but she didn't have a passport at that time. I was never asked for any of the documentation when we were in Mexico. It's a requirement of the Mexican government, not Carnival. So, they can choose to check and if you don't have the required documents the children wouldn't be able to debark at that port. I've never heard of anyone being asked for it.

We took two cruises last year to Mexico (again, without her father since we're divorced now) and I didn't get the letter this time but she had her passport by then. Wasn't asked for the letter. She'll be 18 in June, so no more concern over it for us. :o

We take our minor GK's cruising. I always have a letter from their parents which has been notarized with the dates allowing us to take the kids out of the country and provide medical attention. I always just show the letter at check in just because we took the time to get it. We have never had any trouble at the ports, BUT Mexico is the only place where the kids have been questioned as to who they were with and who we were when getting back on the ship at the gates. My GK's are darked skinned from thier father, so maybe they thought we were trying to kidnap some Mexican kids. I have the letter as insurance and just makes me feel better.

My limited understanding is that a Cruise Ship does not have to comply with immigration policies for Mexico because passengers are not completely disembarking in any Mexican town. Passengers who come in on the ship are required to go out on the ship, that is why the ship keeps track of who leaves and who returns. Also why missing a ship can lead to some expensive and time consuming hoops to jump through for said passengers.

I am traveling with a minor child not my own on my next cruise. Carnival has not informed me that I will need additional paperwork for her. Just like me, all she needs is her passport. They haven't even questioned me about a parental certificate. YMMV

The cruise line won't question you about a "parental certificate" until you are at the port, checking in for your cruise. Don't assume that because your booking agent didn't tell you to bring one that you won't need it.

The cruise line won't question you about a "parental certificate" until you are at the port, checking in for your cruise. Don't assume that because your booking agent didn't tell you to bring one that you won't need it.

I have never known anyone to be asked about a parental certificate in all the years of cruising. For those in the know, and because I'm too lazy to check, does your ticket contract require said piece of paper?

We just got off the Legend this pass weekend with two grands... different last names. They did not have passports... they did not ask for any picture id's or passports.

Cathy

Starting at the age of 16 they will need picture ID.

FWIW when we traveled with BC's we got the DDs California State IDs.

Thank you for this question. I have tried calling Carnival several times, but got tired of holding. ;) we are taking DD's friend with us on our next cruise, and I was stressing a bit about the docs we would need for her. I already have a notarized letter from her parents saying she can travel with us.

Carnival requires a letter if one or more minors parents are not cruising. I have been asked for it and seen someone held up a boarding try to get one faxed.

As far as Mexico, the notarized bilingual letter and tourist cards for children is only required if your cruise ends in Mexico or you debarked for longer than 48 hours. This will only become an issue if you miss the ship or something causes you to fly home from Mexico.

I am leaving on the Elation 3 weeks from today and I saw that yesterday. I quickly called my PVP and she told me that we were fine that we only needed our birth certificates. She told me that if you look at the heading it says (if ending your trip in Mexico) she said that would only apply if we were not planning to reboard the ship. She said no worriers......

We were in panic mode as we would not have time to get passports if that were the case.

All is well.....:D

I am cruising with my 15yo son in April, just the two of us. Because I used to be a travel agent, I called Carnival and asked about documentation I would need for traveling without his father (who will be home working ;) )

The agent I spoke to said since we were NOT traveling to Mexico, I did not need any special letters, just his BC/photo ID/passport. Had we been traveling to Mexico, we would have needed that letter from his father.

I find it frustrating that the answer depends on who you speak to.

I'd carry as much documentation as possible, just to be on the safe side. But that's me.

Here is what a tourist card is:

Travelers staying in Mexico for more than 72 hours or traveling beyond the "border zone" need Mexico tourist cards. The tourist, or border zone, can extend up to 70 miles into Mexico, as it does near Puerto Penasco, southwest of Tucson on the Sea of Cortez, or about 12 miles, as it does south of Nogales. American citizens can travel in the border zone without a tourist card or a vehicle permit. Generally, the tourist zone extends until the first immigration checkpoint south of the US border in Mexico -- if you get there, you'll know it.

Living in a border state, a lot of us travel into Mexico by vehicle and beyond the "border zone". When we do, we ALL have to get a tourist card. This is not required when cruising into a port for the day.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!

You will need a notarized letter from the other parent, it is required by Carnival I believe. You take your chances without it; they did not ask my grandma for it when I traveled alone with her, but sometimes they do ask. It is stated as you do need it, so I would not go without it.

They may not ask for it but why risk it. Note its Homeland Security that may hold you up.

From the Carnival FAQ

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Archived