What is the value of a cruise director?

Blamar

I have been on a few cruises now and most of the cruise directors come of with the sincerity of a used car salesman. Aside from organizing opportunities to raise additional money for the line (eg. Horse Races) and selling off needle-point kits or ceramic pots (eg. Scholarship at Sea), I have yet to see what they do. It often appears that they are there to pitch you to go to the places where they get an ample kickback from shopping excursions.

I am probably too cynical so hopefully those of you out there will less jaundiced eyes can enlighten me.

The Cruise Director holds the rank of Officer on the ship and is responsible for all of the entertainment and events (including things like muster drills) on board, as well as much of the on board atmosphere. When you wonder who threw in the extra formal night on a cruise, that’s the Cruise Director. They schedule all of the events during the day, including the staffing behind these events. They work one on one with many of the entertainers on board. Right, they’re job includes promoting what the ship has to offer, but I take exception to the statement that they are less than sincere. In fact they deal with approximately 2000 different people every week and if they are a bit hardened, it is because some passengers feel they have a right to be in their faces for the most mundane reasons. As a passenger, I've been embarrassed by some of the remarks my fellow passengers have made to Cruise Directors and their staffs. They don’t get kickbacks from shopping recommendations – that would be the Port Lecturer and any kick backs would go directly to the cruise line.

The perks to a cruise staff position are obvious, but personally, I wouldn’t want the job. They work 16 to 18 hour days (sleep is a commodity that is difficult to come by), have to put up with rude passengers, deal with crew members who may or may not respect them, and still convey to the passengers the “spirit” of the cruise line as the home office wants them to. I personally have a lot of respect for Cruise Directors.

P.S.: I don't know if David Cole was still on Island Princess when you were aboard, but of all the Cruise Directors I've sailed with, he's certainly in the top five.

To me, at least, the cruise director's value would depend on the itinerary. If you are doing a Caribbean cruise, with very few sea days, then I would imagine just about any cruise director would do. Most people on those cruises are happy with the normal stable of onboard activities ... give them their trivia, bingo, maybe some pool games ... and everyone is happy.

But, if you're on an itinerary that has a lot of sea days, I would think a lousy cruise director could really wreck the trip for you. For that sort of sailing, you need someone creative who could come up with lots of fun things going on around the ship all day long.

I guess I've been lucky. On the Zuiderdam last summer, we had Dane Butcher. Of course, we had a lot of ports, so his job was probably initially easy. But when our cruise got extended by two days, compliments of Hurricane Francis, and we wound up with something like five sea days in a row, his abilities as a first rate cruise director were tested to the max ... and he passed with flying colors. He had to get together with the entertainers to arrange for special "coffee chats" to be put on ... extra shows had to be scheduled ... special stuff, like an exclusive "behind the scenes" tour of the crew areas (no, not the bridge or engine room though) were put together. We got to see stuff like the brig and the "coffin room."

The passengers were all kept happy and well occupied, and this is where a good cruise director separates himself/herself from the rest of the pack. He took a potentially disasterous situation and made it fun for the passengers, and as a result there was less grumbling than there would have otherwise been.

On my recent Island Princess cruise, we had tons of sea days (Hawaii). David Cole had the action going non-stop on that boat ... especially on sea days. There was no way in hell anyone could do everything that was scheduled ... probably not even half of it. And the variety was such that there was something that had to appeal to just about everybody.

So, in a nutshell, a cruise director's value is probably determined by the number of sea days in a particular itinerary. If your cruise is port-intensive and you're going on the sailing primarily motivated by the prospect of visiting all those ports, then you're really not gonna care that much about shipboard activities ... and in that case just about anybody with warm blood could serve as cruise director. But if you're cruising for the ambience of the boat, taking an itinerary that allows for loads of sea days, then you'd better have someone creative, fun, and with the ability to "think on his feet" in the event things have to be shuffled around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It often appears that they are there to pitch you to go to the places where they get an ample kickback from shopping excursions.

Hahaha, no that would be the job of the port/shopping lecturer. You know, when they make you think that you can get a great "deal" at their guaranteed stores.

bdjam, did David ever mention if he came from Celebrity? I'm pretty sure he was our CD on Mercury back in Oct '03

Hey Ted – yes, David sailed with Celebrity and when we told him we were from the Bay Area, he said that he was on the inaugural Mercury season. He also worked RCI ships. And he worked with Danny Williams for one sailing :)

Aside from organizing opportunities to raise additional money for the line (eg. Horse Races) and selling off needle-point kits or ceramic pots (eg. Scholarship at Sea), I have yet to see what they do.
The CD's main job is as manager of the department that runs all the entertainment on board - that includes the production shows, the music in the lounges, the parties and receptions amongst other things. Also, like many management jobs, the CD will set the tone for the cruise staff, and can greatly affect their morale, their attitude and their efficiency.

The only way you would not see the fruits of the CD's labours is if you studiously avoid all of the shipboard entertainment etc. and never have any contact with any of the cruise staff. I suspect that it's unlikely. The CD's public appearances - and some are definitely better than others at this - are only a small part of the job.

And as has already been said, if you've confused the CD with the port "lecturer", then you're getting at the wrong person.

As previously stated, the cruise director is in charge of shipboard activities. But, I think more importantly, they're in charge of how welcome you feel aboard ship, how much you feel a part of that week's cruise experience, and how well you as a passenger get to know your fellow passengers, as well as the cruise staff. On our last three cruises, the standout was on Carnival - the CD and his 2 "main" assistants really made us feel welcome - from chatting it up with us on the Lido deck, to talking with the audience and getting to know them before and after the production shows, to just seeming genuinely interested and friendly whenever we bumped into them in the halls. Because we got to "know" the entertainment staff and their personalities, we became more interested in taking part in the shipboard activities, partly to see what they'd do next!

Also as previously stated, if ports/destinations are more the draw than the cruise/ship, as on our first cruise and our last, the CD was a "barely there" presence to us, whom we rarely saw.

I think a good CD can make a difference in how you feel about the cruise. We had the pleasure of experiencing Graham Seymour. The guy was riot and having chatted with him when he was not "on", I found him to be genuine and sincere. We always looked forward to his nightly introductions of the entertainment and other antics. He used to watch these boards and there seem to be Graham fan club of sorts. I think he has even cut a CD of some of his comedy.

I have also been on cruises where I did not attend many shows or activities and I hardly noticed the CD. On other cruises the CD has appeared to be a bit disingenuous.

I believe their job is half work/competency and half talent/artist. Like all artists; singers, painters, entertainers there are bad ones, good ones, and really good ones. Perhaps the OP caught a bad one.

I believe their job is half work/competency and half talent/artist. Like all artists; singers, painters, entertainers there are bad ones, good ones, and really good ones. Perhaps the OP caught a bad one.

Actually, if it was David Cole, he caught a good one. As Kyros mentions above, one thing that needs to be considered is the type of cruise. A port intensive cruise is not going to have the same Cruise Director presence as one with a number of sea days. David was very visible and very involved in all of the “entertainment” activities on board the ship during my Island Princess cruise. Contrary to what’s been said here, he was quite welcoming and very open to socializing with passengers. That was a 15 day cruise with 8 sea days (nine if you count the four hour stop in Ensenada).

A seven day cruise with three days in port and two days scenic cruising means the on board activities are reduced and there’s less opportunity for a Cruise Director to be amongst the passengers.

Sometimes I think one doesn't really realize the importance of the Cruise Director ----------- until you get a really bad one!

I agree completely. We had 2 additional sea days on the Golden's last sailing because bad weather forced us to miss ports, and the CD really didn't come through for us. If you enjoyed bingo, bridge, or jigsaw puzzle competitions, you were all set, but otherwise there was little to do during the day. Fortunately for those on the Golden now, he's been replaced. I'd never really thought about the CD before that sailing, but now it's something I'll consider even if it's a port-intensive cruise, because you never know when a port is going to be cancelled due to weather or other problems.

Crusinbug,

You are absolutely right. A cruise director is very important to me because I like doing all the activities on my cruise and I mean all the activities. Whether at sea or in port, the cd really needs to be visible, enthusiastic, & energetic,

Granted my cruise does not hinge on how good the cd is, but it does help.

Ann25

Something else a CD is responsible for is the Princess Patters, making sure all of the information is correct and activities listed. Even with itineraries with a lot of ports, they need to be prepared to offer alternatives to those who choose not to get off the ship, not to mention a sudden full day of activity should the ship miss the port for whatever reason.

On my 15-day Regal Princess cruise to Hawaii, I had a lower deck cabin and the CD's office was just down a very short hall. He was there early in the morning, doing paperwork and preparations, and very late at night (11PM - midnight). There were a lot of sea days (10) to fill and believe me, there were enough activities going on to keep everyone occupied who wanted to be. He was everywhere during the day, making sure people were participating and having fun, and that the activities were being attended. I'm having a brain cramp but his name is Chris -- I'm blanking on his last name. He was very creative: one of the more unusual activites was remote control dune buggy races on the dance floor where people had to steer around pylons and go up and back. It was hysterical!

We had Graham Seymour on the Caribbean Princess and I very rarely saw him and wasn't at all impressed with his announcements over the PA system. Sometimes, he was downright rude. I can't see why people are impressed with him and would never put him in the Top 5 or or even Top 10 of my list of best CDs.

Whether at sea or in port, the cd really needs to be visible, enthusiastic, & energetic,

It’s important to remember the number of events that happen each day and the list of responsibilities the Cruise Director has…it would be impossible for them to be out and about for everything.

I'm having a brain cramp but his name is Chris -- I'm blanking on his last name. He was very creative: one of the more unusual activites was remote control dune buggy races on the dance floor where people had to steer around pylons and go up and back. It was hysterical!

Chris Nichols (not sure about the last name spelling…but something like that).

We had Graham Seymour on the Caribbean Princess and I very rarely saw him and wasn't at all impressed with his announcements over the PA system. Sometimes, he was downright rude. I can't see why people are impressed with him and would never put him in the Top 5 or or even Top 10 of my list of best CDs

I’ve never experienced Graham myself, but I have heard some things about him that would certainly keep him at the bottom of my list – no matter how good he was in “public”

I've never understood this fascination with cruise directors (or ship captains).

We cruise annually with 3 other couples and we've done 10 crusies thus far. Not one of the 8 people in our group is able to name one cruise director or ship's captain from even a single cruise. Further more, no one really seemed to care and doubted they would even notice the absence of a cruise director.

Yet, somehow, we always manage to have a great time and look forward to our next cruise together.

I'm not sure what we're missing here.

Chris Nichols (not sure about the last name spelling…but something like that).
Yep... I just remembered his last name and came back to post that. It is Chris Nichols. He is among the very best. Not just good at planning but really LISTENS to the passengers and their suggestions. He's always asking you how you're enjoying what you're doing and really wants to know, not just get a pat on the back.

Until I saw what Chris did, I didn't really appreciate what a CD does nor the difference between a good one and a bad one. It's not just being funny or amusing -- it's the whole package, particularly the caring about the passengers. A comedian or entertainer does not necessarily a good CD make.

Thanks for the great job of information coming from this panel on CD's. It does make a great deal of sense and now I see where my original misconception of confusing the CD and port lecturer got confused. On my first two cruises, long long ago, they were the same person.

I appreciate your comments.

Although I think a cruise with a bad CD is better than no cruise at all.

It does make a great deal of sense and now I see where my original misconception of confusing the CD and port lecturer got confused. On my first two cruises, long long ago, they were the same person.
I understand what you're saying. Knowing what some of the port lecturers are like, combining them into the same person could be my idea of a living nightmare ... :)
We cruise annually with 3 other couples and we've done 10 crusies thus far. ... I'm not sure what we're missing here.
Your regular crowd is probably the key. One of my annual cruises is on a regular annual event where hundreds of passengers are devoted annual repeaters. With lots of friends, there's much less need to rely on what the CD organises.

But if you're on your own, or close to being on your own, then a good social and entertainment life on board is one of the key benefits of cruising. A good CD can make it work really well (even if you don't see the CD personally).

A great CD ... well, let's just say that we still regularly go and visit her (she's no longer on ships).

Well hello,

Graham Seymour here, just finishing up my vacation and wanted to say hi, Interesting topic,

Having some knowledge of this,no matter how the cruise director comes over or acts he/she will always be commented on by the person's personal preference.....just like comedy either you laugh or you don't

With "Pam in MA' not liking my style is again the choice of the person. "bjam" I am sure there are many things said about many people and being a Cruise Director that kinda comes with the job. after 13 years at this career the amount of incredible things I've heard about me as a person....well lets just say i would love to know who starts them, especially when these people don't even know me. But would hope you make your own opinion before listening to the rumours that puts me at the bottom of your list.

for those of you that enjoy my antics/style thanks as always.

Heading over to the Navigator of the Seas for my next RCI ship at the end of June. and will be between there and the Mariner until December.

Hope to see some of you soon

Be well

Graham x

PS

DVD almost finished

Well hello Graham. We were just on board the Caribbean Princess for the second time a couple of weeks ago. The crew miss you, well some of them do. lol They thought you were making a TV show. Some of the same faces but not that many. It was a great time once again. James is good but he is easily tricked. One morning I put in the the mail for the morning show a little letter. It read from Muffy to Captain One Eye meet me in the aft. He read it without thinking then you could see his face starting to move around a bit. lol Next day I put in Captain One Eye to Muffy . Meet me at 7 foreward at midnight. that morning Lisa read it . She didn't get it but you could see James did lol. It was our second week and I was getting a little punchy lol :)

"bjam" I am sure there are many things said about many people and being a Cruise Director that kinda comes with the job. after 13 years at this career the amount of incredible things I've heard about me as a person....well lets just say i would love to know who starts them, especially when these people don't even know me. But would hope you make your own opinion before listening to the rumours that puts me at the bottom of your list.
You are absolutely correct – perhaps you and I should talk sometime…