What is the value of a cruise director?

Blamar

Graham - I had the privilege of sailing on the Caribbean Princess while you were there. Your morning show was always a delightful way to start the day. Who can't use a little humor in the mornings:p

I have one question - do you actually get up very early in the morning to tape those shows or do you tape them before you go to bed at night?

I sailed the Island Princess when there was a problem with one of the stages. This happened just after the show had started and didn't get repaired enough to use the stage again for several days. David Cole did a top notch job of trying to keep passengers informed of entertainment changes. On top of that any time we happened to see him out and about he always had a smile and greeting for us. (And it was obvious he was running to take care of something.)

cruzluvr2

Heading over to the Navigator of the Seas for my next RCI ship at the end of June. and will be between there and the Mariner until December.

Be well

Graham x

PS

DVD almost finished

Hi Graham! Hope you get to Radiance by April....keep us informed on either board. Recently sailed the Caribbean Princess again and while James Lay is good, he doesn't come close to you. We love your humor! DH and I brought you up in conversation to our children who were on the ship with us this time. Brought back some good memories.

BTW, there is a teeny tiny minority of judgemental posters......don't sweat it!:) :D

Good lord even I am not that perky at 6am so....yes they are recorded the night before.

On my DVD I'm finishing at present I am more than likely going to add a chapter with some clips,

bad hair, drinking the cocktail, star wars,...etc plus som others that are new

It makes me smile now to think if people remember me ...good or bad then at least I have made an impression for them to write something :o)

Be well

Graham

x

BTW, there is a teeny tiny minority of judgemental posters......don't sweat it!:) :D

Knowing my “friend” Roe, she includes me in this "minority" – and as I’ve posted above, I’d love to chat with you Graham – let me know if you’d like to trade email addresses.

15 Princess cruises and I cannot name one CD...

If you'd ever seem Graham trying to impress upon people with children that it's time to leave because an "adult" show is about to start, you'd remember. Most CD's I agree, you kind of wish they'd just shut up on the tannoy, but I actually tuned in to Graham's morning show for a good laugh.

I ask once again - "who is Graham Seymour"?

Ron

Ron,

He is a CD that used to work for Princess. I caught him on the Golden two Thanksgivings ago. He moved over to the Caribbean Princess and then left Princess for RCCL.

I thought he was fun and added to my week. He has a bit of a following. As shown here he does look at these boards and has posted before.

He is a Brit and reminds me of some of the Monty Python crew. He made me laugh and thats never been a bad thing for me. :D

Good lord even I am not that perky at 6am so....yes they are recorded the night before.

On my DVD I'm finishing at present I am more than likely going to add a chapter with some clips' date='

bad hair, drinking the cocktail, star wars,...etc plus som others that are new

It makes me smile now to think if people remember me ...good or bad then at least I have made an impression for them to write something :o)

Be well

Graham

x[/quote']

Is it necessary to record new shows for each cruise? Seems like a lot of the info is pretty generic and, unless you got a haircut, people wouldn't know a "generic" show about an upcoming port or sea day from a personalized one...

Graham: please let us know when DVD is ready...I cracked up on the Star Wars bit you did. Actually I cracked up on almost everything you did! But I have a warped sense of humor. I guess I will have to try RCCL now that you abandoned ship so to speak!

Knowing my “friend” Roe, she includes me in this "minority" – and as I’ve posted above, I’d love to chat with you Graham – let me know if you’d like to trade email addresses.

I have not mentioned your name however you feel the need to respond......well, if the shoe fits......wear it.

Hello to Graham!! Was on the CB last July and thoroughly enjoyed your style and sense of humor--really did remind me of John Cleese and Monty Python. It was our 4th cruise (3rd line) and you really added to our enjoyment of the cruise. Hope you have a great time over at Royal Caribbean and maybe if we're lucky we'll see you on Freedom of the Seas next summer. Were you ever on the Dawn Princess? We were onboard the Christmas cruise in 1998 and seem to remember our CD was a Brit with an equally zany sense of humor (if not the same person).

Good CDs can make the cruise so much better. I think they do set the tone for the cruise in many ways, like others have said, especially on sea days, or if things go "wrong." Our CD on the Prinsendam last month, Peter Daems, was a gem, funny, professional, but warm and very approachable. (on a 17 day cruise with a lot of sea days, the CD takes on more importance!)

Mary

I have not mentioned your name however you feel the need to respond......well, if the shoe fits......wear it.

Right – believe it or not I don’t need you to mention my name...your meaning is blatantly obvious as always. And rather than be judgmental, I’m trying to give Graham a chance to change my mind. Why don’t you leave us alone and let us take care of it? And by the way, before casting your pronouncement, you might have checked to see why I said what I initially had to say...maybe you might have changed your mind.

Yep... I just remembered his last name and came back to post that. It is Chris Nichols. He is among the very best. Not just good at planning but really LISTENS to the passengers and their suggestions. He's always asking you how you're enjoying what you're doing and really wants to know, not just get a pat on the back.

Until I saw what Chris did, I didn't really appreciate what a CD does nor the difference between a good one and a bad one. It's not just being funny or amusing -- it's the whole package, particularly the caring about the passengers. A comedian or entertainer does not necessarily a good CD make.

Chris Nichols is the best CD I have ever had on any cruise. Have you ever heard him sing? He can rival the entertainers on the ship. He was our CD on our first Tahitian Princess cruise and it was wonderful. He does work extremely hard and making certain the passengers are happy. He was even there when we disembarked the last day and gave us a hug as if he really enjoyed being with us those 10 days. I hope to see him again on a future cruise!

Hi there

with the answer to your question, I guess you could do them and them play them every week, but in truth I like to record them each day, as every crowd is different and hopefully i can use something to make it a bit more to that particular week. as for things like the Debark talk, they can stay the same so we normally record them only once..... Mind you I recorded one once with my hair short and as I was on that ship for two years (with breaks) I let my hair grow and when people would see it they thought I cut my hair that day...

Bdjam:

thank you for the offer to email, but I think the only way you would change your mind is for you to see me at work, that is when your opinion will be a fair one. And even then its about what kind of humor you like, so you still may feel the same. But be assured I do not go out to upset anyone,

be well

graham

x

Hi Graham!

Looking forward to the DVD - should bring back some (interesting) memories!! :p

Hope you're having a great time and have settled in with 'The Enemy'!

All the best for the future,

Andy

Bdjam:

thank you for the offer to email' date=' but I think the only way you would change your mind is for you to see me at work, that is when your opinion will be a fair one. And even then its about what kind of humor you like, so you still may feel the same. But be assured I do not go out to upset anyone, [/quote']

Not trying to belabor the point, but what I was party to didn’t have to do with your performances but rather your policies. I’m sure you don’t go out to purposefully upset anyone…that’s a good thing in itself.

Hi there,

Not sure what you mean, but I would hope that whatever cruise you have been on with any Cruise Director there are guidelines and even rules that they need and are expected to follow from the company. Now whether they choose to follow them, I guess is at there discretion, and would think they will "face the music" should they not. All I can say is that whatever rumors you may have heard on "my" policies, be assured come direct either from whoever my superior is onboard at the time of my contract or the head office that I answer too, and of course work for. Now as time goes on these can be relaxed or even changed.

So, sadly again opinions and rumors are formed on what people think are the individual's choice, when behind the scenes of my position there are more politics and rules than a lot of guests/passengers truly know

Hope that clears it up for you

Be well

Graham

Coiran...Graham Seymour is the former Caribbean Princess Cruise Director who has just moved to Royal Caribbean. He has been posting on these boards as "Hammy's Manager" (:confused: ).

He is recognised as one of the 'legendary' CD's in the industry - he is a big loss to Princess. We sailed with him in February and found him hilarious - not entirely sure about the thong, though!!! :p

Hope this helps!

Andy

Hi there' date='

Not sure what you mean, but I would hope that whatever cruise you have been on with any Cruise Director there are guidelines and even rules that they need and are expected to follow from the company. Now whether they choose to follow them, I guess is at there discretion, and would think they will "face the music" should they not. All I can say is that whatever rumors you may have heard on "my" policies, be assured come direct either from whoever my superior is onboard at the time of my contract or the head office that I answer too, and of course work for. Now as time goes on these can be relaxed or even changed.

So, sadly again opinions and rumors are formed on what people think are the individual's choice, when behind the scenes of my position there are more politics and rules than a lot of guests/passengers truly know

Hope that clears it up for you

Be well

Graham[/quote']

Thanks, Graham – but the policy in question is not the company’s…I think it would be more prudent to discuss this offline and I’ll offer you my email address if that’s what you’d like to do…

And by the way, before casting your pronouncement, you might have checked to see why I said what I initially had to say...maybe you might have changed your mind.

I think this is a fair statement... so why did you say what you initially had to say?

I think this is a fair statement... so why did you say what you initially had to say?

As I indicated in my post, it’s something that I would prefer to discuss with Graham offline…and since I have his email address, I will do so. I think it unfortunate that someone automatically decides I’m being judgmental when they don’t have any idea what I’m talking about.