Marriage Proposal Ideas

christopherfar

Hey everyone -- going on my first cruise on the Glory March 24th (Eastern Caribbean).

I'm also planning to use this opportunity to propose to my girlfriend. I've read a few things here and there, most of them are outdated, about some ideas for how to do this, so I wanted to re-open the discussion.

Anyone know the Glory well enough to recommend something? Or even just some generic ideas for cruise proposals in general?

The only real parameter is that she won't be interested in something public. If there happen to be a few people nearby, no problem, but at a show or in the dining room are not options.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am pretty traditional so my ideas are not all that exciting, but I am a woman and like romantic stuff so here goes-

You could do a quiet, romantic dinner at the steak house. You could pop the question there, or do something like put it in her glass, on the plate, etc. I think they have covers for their butter dishes, maybe you could put a cover over a ring box.

Or when you are in port, you could go to a beach- I am assuming there will be one around, take a stroll and then propose to her.

But to give better suggestions it would help if people knew where you were going and a little about you and your prospective fiance.

Make a plan to go to one of the elevators toward the back to go the Spa.

Tell her you've forgotten something and you'll meet her there on that deck.

Run run run up the stairs and be waiting on bended knee with the open ring box.

When the elevator door opens .... ask her to marry you.

Sweep her up and take her to the Spa for a relaxing couples massage.

:)

Part of choosing the cruise as a proposal spot is that her entire family will be there, and I know how important it would be to her to have them around to celebrate afterward. However, she would also prefer that the proposal be just between the two of us. That said, most ports are probably out of the question, as one or more of her family members will likely tag along with us in each place.

I'm all for the romantic stuff, and so is she. I've toyed with the idea of just doing it one night after dinner (probably a formal night) on the back of the ship with the stars and the moon (which will be full) as a backdrop. I may stick with that, but wanted to seek out other ideas as well -- particularly from those familiar with the basic layout of the ship and where people tend to congregate.

Another idea I've read is to have the champagne, rose, and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to the room and sneak it onto the tray. The only problem there is that we aren't "technically" in the same room (we will work around that to a certain extent, but we're trying to maintain appearances for her young nephews). Is that something I could arrange to have delivered elsewhere on the ship? Perhaps the moonlit back of the boat as previously discussed?

For what it's worth, we will be going to Nassau, San Juan, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas, but again, I don't really think ports are going to be the best option for us.

Thanks!

You could take her to a specialty restaurant onboard the ship. Prior to your reservation you could meet with the head waiter and tell him what you plan on doing so the waiter can put the ring on a dessert dish. Or you could have the waiter bring out a rose with the ring between the petals.

If you think that is still too much of a crowd for her, if you have a balcony room you could order a bottle of champagne, sit on your balcony watching the ship sail away from a port and pope the question then.

oh yea. I just remembered reading about someone who propsed during formal night. The couple were standing in line for photos and when it was their turn, the gentleman pulled the photographer aside to let him know what he was about to do. The whole proposal when then captured throught the photos the photographer took.

I love the idea of the champagne, strawberries on the aft under the moonlight.

Can you get a trusted family member to help you out by delivering those things to your location once they know you are there?

That person could also discreetly catch a little video of the very special moment.

;)

oh yea. I just remembered reading about someone who propsed during formal night. The couple were standing in line for photos and when it was their turn, the gentleman pulled the photographer aside to let him know what he was about to do. The whole proposal when then captured throught the photos the photographer took.

That's a great idea!

Find a local glassblower, they can put the ring on the stem of a champagne flute, and order the champagne for your room when you arrive. And swap the champagne flutes (the room steward will help you) for the ones you had made with the ring on the stem. Let her find the ring. You can hide the ring at first with a napkin wrapped around the base of the glass too, so she doesn't notice it at first. Dont help her break the glass to get the ring though. It would be fun to watch her try to get it off whie trying to keep the glass as a momento.

All great ideas, and I know you said she wouldn't want something public.....

But if it were I, I would dress up on formal night and get down on one knee in the crowded dining room and beg her to marry me. I don't know her, but I'm hard pressed to believe a young lady wouldn't enjoy that.

All great ideas, and I know you said she wouldn't want something public.....

But if it were I, I would dress up on formal night and get down on one knee in the crowded dining room and beg her to marry me. I don't know her, but I'm hard pressed to believe a young lady wouldn't enjoy that.

It all depends on the woman. My wife would have been embarrassed and angry.

I would really consider doing it before the cruise, based on the idea that you won't be able to go back to Glory time and again. By your 25th anniversary, she'll be over 35 years old and probably have been sold off to some 2nd tier cruise line. Just my thing. Building and parks will also go away in a long time frame, and it may not be an issue for you or her anyway.

The other thing though, is that carrying the ring around is kind of a nervous situation. Having to get it onto the ship, though security, not being able to store it in the safe...

In any case, don't forget to bring ring-sizers so she can wear the ring on the ship. We found the "ring snuggies" to work really well, but given the situation, I'd probably bring a couple different styles. Some options may not create a good fit, or may hurt... or she can just pick what she wants. Probably $5 per style: money well spent.

And... Congratulations !

I wouldn't worry about brining the ring on the ship. There are probably 1,000 women brining their wedding and engagement rings on every cruise and they don't seem to have a problem.

I like the idea of on deck, under the stars. Can you check with the ship's personnel and see if you can get access to some forward, restricted deck area. That would be pretty cool. I only suggest that because they probably wouldn't let you do it while climing up the outside of the smoke stack!

Hey everyone -- going on my first cruise on the Glory March 24th (Eastern Caribbean).

I'm also planning to use this opportunity to propose to my girlfriend. I've read a few things here and there, most of them are outdated, about some ideas for how to do this, so I wanted to re-open the discussion.

Anyone know the Glory well enough to recommend something? Or even just some generic ideas for cruise proposals in general?

The only real parameter is that she won't be interested in something public. If there happen to be a few people nearby, no problem, but at a show or in the dining room are not options.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I was engaged on the GLORY!!!!!!!! on 11/11/11.. Josh "Big Sexy" Waitzman (the CD) helped my fiance plan a huge display on the lido deck.. Its was such a surprise and fantastic.. But Im a public diva kinda chick..

I would really consider doing it before the cruise, based on the idea that you won't be able to go back to Glory time and again. By your 25th anniversary, she'll be over 35 years old and probably have been sold off to some 2nd tier cruise line. Just my thing. Building and parks will also go away in a long time frame, and it may not be an issue for you or her anyway.

The other thing though, is that carrying the ring around is kind of a nervous situation. Having to get it onto the ship, though security, not being able to store it in the safe...

In any case, don't forget to bring ring-sizers so she can wear the ring on the ship. We found the "ring snuggies" to work really well, but given the situation, I'd probably bring a couple different styles. Some options may not create a good fit, or may hurt... or she can just pick what she wants. Probably $5 per style: money well spent.

And... Congratulations !

Maybe the night before somewhere where it is private but some family can see would be cool...if you are at a nice hotel...

But many good ideas here for quiet things...really like the pre spa one or outdoors on your balcony.

I think it is nice to have some things that will last for your firsts. My parents met in the town they retired to. They were both working out of school and on a ski club trip. It was the 50's and guys had room mates and girls did..but they had their first kiss in front of her door. Mom passed this summer 4 months shy of their 54th wedding anniversary and while the motel had really turned into a cheap young travelers or weekly down and out place it was safe to walk to grounds and same 50's fun sign on outside...they bought the land last year and tore it down 2 months ago for office buildings..we all thought it was bittersweet but perfect. Try to pick some landmarks for things..but do not be afraid to choose the ship for proposal..there will always be ship balconies or steakhouses on them and that can be thought of as your common denominator.

Church steps can be cool...mom and dad did that and we are Episcopalian and there will always be a demominator of special there...my dad would take mom to the same church for gift on steps and dinner and dancing afterwards for many anniversaries..and now not living in the original church town but in the meeting town where one sis was married...we all meet on Sundays and have coffee or breakfast after and later one family dinner a week...this helps dad and all of us...

So much to consider..I like it will be somewhat private but family will be there because important to her.

My nephew..and it is all backwards but they are special..we had baby first this Oct..sigh..but he took his little sister as a witness with them and asked her on a great mountain top view place close to his home and then came home and had dinner with folks...you can apply this on the ship..something private and then join family if you want.

Whatever you do..coming from your heart with this kind of heart brainstorming...you just can not go wrong. God Bless..Congratulations...Sarah

My ideas:

1) If you have a balcony, get room steward to put champagne out there one afternoon prior to dinner. (Keep blinds closed)... Ask her to go out on the balcony and pop the question.

2) Contact a resort in one of the ports, get them to write will you marry me in the sand. Go to resort, pop question there.

And my favorite:

3) Get one of the bands (not sure if any exist anymore) play one of her favorite songs (slow dance song), at the end of the song, ask her to marry you... Have champagne and flowers standing by.

Does anyone know how I can figure out who my cruise director is and how to get in touch with him/her?

I would love to make contact and see what they can help me arrange.

Your CD will be Matt Mitcham. That's his first sailing as CD on Glory, so you might also contact Josh Waitzman who is Glory's regular CD and will be debarking just before your cruise.

Archived