PHOTO Review:Inspiration to Ensenada & Catalina + "Behind the Fun" Tour & Queen Mary

sailawaybellaluna

As I mentioned earlier about this cruise I've finally booked it... Me, y 6 year old son and his uncle (my best friend) and I will be cruising on October 21st. He was really excited when I showed him pics of the water slide... Sadly I'm still MUCH more excited than he is...

As I mentioned earlier about this cruise I've finally booked it... Me, y 6 year old son and his uncle (my best friend) and I will be cruising on October 21st. He was really excited when I showed him pics of the water slide... Sadly I'm still MUCH more excited than he is...

Glad you guys finally booked! Congrats! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This trip came about at the last minute since we were intended to board the Triumph on 2/16. Of course, that didn't happen...

Once moving on from the disappointment that we wouldn't be traveling to Texas to visit family and friends and take a cruise in the hot weather of the Yucatan, we decided to come up with a "Plan B". My husband had already taken the week off, and I own a little shop online making French Pillows. I had already closed my shop the week prior (I work a week in arrears), so it made sense to just go somewhere. Due to the Triumph disaster, Carnival had given us a 25% discount and we decided to just hit the local port of Long Beach for a short cruise. We had done this itinerary on the Inspiration on the May and had a nice time.

But first, we decided to extend this little "Plan B" vacation, and spend the night before embarkation aboard the Queen Mary. The Queen Mary is now docked in Long Beach and is a floating hotel. I decided to stay there because they offer a "park & sail" package. It isn't advertised - you have to call and ask, but we stayed in a king sized room with portholes for 1 night and parked for 5 nights for $149. I thought that was a good deal!

As others had warned me, staying on the Queen Mary is really to learn about her history, and get the opportunity to be part of that amazing history for just a short period of time. It is by no means a luxury hotel. In fact, it isn't even that comfortable. :( The decor is a little bit Motel 6ish actually.

Despite that, we had an awesome time! We visited the Diana exhibit downstairs, wandered the decks, ate on the Promenade deck, and took lots of pictures. A few glimpses:

cruise4_zps31a06560.jpg

cruise3_zps2aea9e8f.jpg

cruise2_zps4ce84ad6.jpg

cruise1_zps67f52bf0.jpg

cruise7_zps070cff46.jpg

Next up: More pics from the Queen Mary and the first glimpse of the Carnival INSPIRATION!

So I am staying at the QM the night before as well and booked the park and sail. How does that work? Do they give you a ticket to show the parking attendant when you leave or...?

So I am staying at the QM the night before as well and booked the park and sail. How does that work? Do they give you a ticket to show the parking attendant when you leave or...?

You will have a ticket and you will pay along with your one night reservation. When you leave, your ticket will automatically be programmed to open the exit gate. I don't recall a live parking attendant there, but we didn't have any problems.

Have a great time!

You will have a ticket and you will pay along with your one night reservation. When you leave, your ticket will automatically be programmed to open the exit gate. I don't recall a live parking attendant there, but we didn't have any problems.

Have a great time!

Thank you very much for the reply. I am one of those that likes to try and know everything I can when it's something new :)

Have a great time!

IIRC there is manned ticket booth to the right and there are several unmanned booth. Just stick your ticket into the slot.

Thanks SweetPeaOne! He LOVES cruising! :p

I just read your full review. I won't be on Inspiration but I'll be on th Imagination in January 2014, which will do the exact same itinerary as yours. Your photos helped to give me an idea of what's ahead. Looks as though you had a wonderful time. By the way, your son is quite the handsome little guy!

I just read your full review. I won't be on Inspiration but I'll be on th Imagination in January 2014, which will do the exact same itinerary as yours. Your photos helped to give me an idea of what's ahead. Looks as though you had a wonderful time. By the way, your son is quite the handsome little guy!

We're just considering booking the Imagination too for next spring! Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the compliment on our little ham! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm so excited - I just booked the Imagination today for my son's spring break!

I've seen some discussion in the forums that it's moving to Long Beach, and people are wondering how it will compare to the Inspiration. They will basically be doing the exact same itineraries.

In case this review is helpful for anyone, I'm giving it a little "bump". I'm still looking for some recent Imagination reviews!

Honestly, we have a good time on any cruise we take. Obviously the Inspiration could not be compared to the Breeze through the Med, but it was quality family time with yummy food. What more can we want!? ;)

Thanks for the review and coming back after all this time. Re this recipe: How many servings does this make? Have you tried it at home and did it work out?

cruise120_zpsda4b0f15.jpg Whoops, sorry, I just saw the 4 servings part. But have you made it at home yet?

Edited by Ryancoke

Rycancoke,

I'm glad you've reminded me of the recipe! I have not yet tried it...Maybe I will this weekend!

Your trip report was such a great help to me preparing for my last March cruise on the Inspiration, then I wrote my own...and weirdly by a chance offer will be on the Inspiration again next week, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your report though, it really was wonderful!

I'm so excited - I just booked the Imagination today for my son's spring break!

I've seen some discussion in the forums that it's moving to Long Beach, and people are wondering how it will compare to the Inspiration. They will basically be doing the exact same itineraries.

In case this review is helpful for anyone, I'm giving it a little "bump". I'm still looking for some recent Imagination reviews!

Honestly, we have a good time on any cruise we take. Obviously the Inspiration could not be compared to the Breeze through the Med, but it was quality family time with yummy food. What more can we want!? ;)

Hi there :)

I'm one of the folks along with my girlfriends who will be sailing on Imagination in January 2014, out of Long Beach CA. Looking forward to it now; but prior to this summer, I was a bit concerned because I wasn't certain that I'd enjoy a small ship/short cruise on Carnival. I normally sail Royal Caribbean, and like their style of ships, activities, itineraries. Thankfully I've spoken to a lot of frequent Carnival cruisers here on CC, and I'm a lot less worried after reading about their fun experiences onboard. How was the Inspiration for you?

Your trip report was such a great help to me preparing for my last March cruise on the Inspiration, then I wrote my own...and weirdly by a chance offer will be on the Inspiration again next week, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your report though, it really was wonderful!

Next week Monday the 21st?

We are going on the Miracle in December 2013 & staying on the Queen Mary the night before. I have heard that Long Beach is one of the worst ports of embarkation. Is there any advantage to staying at the Queen Mary (yours is the review that convinced me to stay there). Can we just drop off our luggage & then return to board when the lines are less? What is your experience? Thanks.

We are going on the Miracle in December 2013 & staying on the Queen Mary the night before. I have heard that Long Beach is one of the worst ports of embarkation. Is there any advantage to staying at the Queen Mary (yours is the review that convinced me to stay there). Can we just drop off our luggage & then return to board when the lines are less? What is your experience? Thanks.

I am not the OP but it was very Convenient, we checked in early, got Zone 1 Boarding, and dropped Off Our luggage, then explored the Queen Mary. Staying there again next week...

Embarkation was a piece of cake, Debarkation Sucked.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Dicecatt

We sailed on the Inspiration out of Long Beach in May this year. It was our first cruise, so our first embarkation, but we thought it was really easy. We got there at about 1:30, and we walked right through security, right up to the counter, and right to the picture people and onto the ship. I was a bit nervous about the whole process, but it was really simple.