Post cruise depression...

We just got back last Saturday from a 7 day Eastern Carribean cruise on Oasis, and I am finding myself a little depressed to not still be on the ship. Is this a normal feeling?!? We had such an awesome time on that ship and had the BEST service from everyone we encountered the whole week.

This is only our second cruise (the first was last January on the Navigator with four other couples), but our first one alone as a couple, and we enjoyed both of them equally, but for different reasons. Now I think I need to round out my cruising experience by planning a new one, but with our mostly-grown children (ages 23, 20, 13) ... as they would have loved the amenities on the Oasis. Of course, I will probably opt for the Allure, so we have different shows.

Is this how everyone feels after coming off a cruise? It must be, since I see most people have a lot of cruises under their belt. I think I'm addicted now, too:)

Oh man, I know what you're going through. The morning of Oasis disembarkation I cried, and cried. and yes, I'm a grown woman, I still cried. Thinking it all went bye-bye.

I was depressed until we booked the next cruise...

It's just all the planning, the countdown, booking excursions, printing documents, you spend months thinking/talking about it and when it comes, it goes "puff" in a week. I know, sad, ain't it? well at least you had the chance to sail the Oasis, and smile about it!

Edited by Crystalkrt

Good grief! I said I was a "little" depressed ... didn't realize that the term "depressed" was exclusively used for clinical depression. It is negative responses like this that make reading the boards frustrating for me.

Basically, I was writing because I had just had a fantastic cruising experience and excited to realize that I finally caught on to the idea of people being addicted to cruising ... something I never would have thought possible prior to my first cruise last year! Way to try and burst my bubble ... sorry you didn't succeed:)

Hmmm I think most people empathised with you, not try to make you feel bad. I'm sure everyone on here knows exactly how you feel. I always feel a little let down after a cruise, but happy to et back to the routine....but I have a hard time going more than 3 months without a cruise. I'm addicted!!

Good grief! I said I was a "little" depressed ... didn't realize that the term "depressed" was exclusively used for clinical depression. It is negative responses like this that make reading the boards frustrating for me.

Basically, I was writing because I had just had a fantastic cruising experience and excited to realize that I finally caught on to the idea of people being addicted to cruising ... something I never would have thought possible prior to my first cruise last year! Way to try and burst my bubble ... sorry you didn't succeed:)

I am glad he or she did not burst your bubble. I feel the same way when we are in the plane on the way home but we always purchase a "next cruise" or actually book one on the ship so we have that to look forward to. It is only $100 and you get up to 3-$100 OBC. They have to sail with you but each cabin gets $100 so that is a nice perk.

We just got back from Liberty of the Seas seven days ago. The after vacation "let down" really is a bummer. I am looking into planning another RCCL cruise which I find has helped with getting over the "cruise blues".

We agree; it's always sad when the cruise ends. We deal with it by typically doing B2B's; 2 weeks is about right for us and it's easier to go home after that. I also love to plan ahead and typically book future cruises as soon as the itineraries come out. We have 6 booked now and I'm having a hard time not booking for Fall of 2014, but we want to wait and hear about Quantum! It makes it a little easier to get off the ship if we already have the next one (or 6) booked.

Ignore some of the response you will get on here. Most of the people you will talk to are great people, but there is always one.... We know exactly what you meant. My friend, you are hooked. Plan the next one and start the count down!!

I'm the one who made the comment about using "depressed". I apologize for making you frustrated. :o I'm a little over sensitive when it comes to minimizing mental health issues and when people flippantly use terms like depression or feeling bipolar to explain normal human emotions.

You weren't being flippant, but I just wanted to explain and apologize. :o

clwnmt2 - I just had to respond again when I noticed your location! I'm from Waterford, WI!! I currently live in MN, but grew up in Waterford & graduated from WHS in 1979. My whole family has relocated so I never get back there, but I still have great memories.

I know exactly how you feel.

I took my first cruise last year with my Father from San-Juan to Barcelona and it was 14 nights of pure fun and entertainment. As soon as I got into the cab to take me to the airport I kept telling myself to book another cruise.

I was in a depressed state as I was trying to get my land legs working again.

In December the Cruise Fairy visited me when I was waiting in line at the gate for my Southwest flight. The fairy must have placed me in the right spot. A few seconds later the agent announces we need volunteers to go on a later flight.

You can imagine my excitement when I heard this. I got $500 in vouchers as well as $350 from the outbound flight.

As soon as i got home it occurred to me that the fairy really does visit people with cruise depression. I went online and was looking for more cruises.

I saw the Navigator to Rome from New Orleans. Then I told my Father that we have more than enough voucher funds to cover our flight. And I had almost 60,000 United Miles so the planning started.

As soon as my Father got us booked I went and booked our Southwest Flights arriving 2 night before the cruise departs. I found a 30,000 Award ticket on Lufthansa(the 30,000 tickets vanished a few days after I booked my trip) and a room at the Astor Crowne Plaza. My Father was going on to visit family so he found a $580 o/w ticket on Alitalia with Cruise Air for a few weeks later.

The Oceanview Cabin was originally $749 and it dropped to $649 per person so when the fairy had me looking for price drops she really wanted me to get the best deal. Maybe the Upgrade Fairy will visit us next.

The fairy insisted that I stay a week in Rome so I listened to her.

The cruise fairy guided me to booking another cruise to relieve my post-cruise depression. Should she visit me again I shall listen to her.

Edited by travelplus

I think using the word "depressed" is overkill, isn't it? Ever known someone with a real mental illness (eg. depression) ? Totally not the same thing.

I have a real mental illness - bi polar disorder (which includes manic depression)

I don't object to the word depression being used in this context. Contextually I appreciate exactly what the OP means

Just ignore some of the responses :-)

I know exactly how you feel.

I took my first cruise last year with my Father from San-Juan to Barcelona and it was 14 nights of pure fun and entertainment. As soon as I got into the cab to take me to the airport I kept telling myself to book another cruise.

I was in a depressed state as I was trying to get my land legs working again.

In December the Cruise Fairy visited me when I was waiting in line at the gate for my Southwest flight. The fairy must have placed me in the right spot. A few seconds later the agent announces we need volunteers to go on a later flight.

You can imagine my excitement when I heard this. I got $500 in vouchers as well as $350 from the outbound flight.

As soon as i got home it occurred to me that the fairy really does visit people with cruise depression. I went online and was looking for more cruises.

I saw the Navigator to Rome from New Orleans. Then I told my Father that we have more than enough voucher funds to cover our flight. And I had almost 60,000 United Miles so the planning started.

As soon as my Father got us booked I went and booked our Southwest Flights arriving 2 night before the cruise departs. I found a 30,000 Award ticket on Lufthansa(the 30,000 tickets vanished a few days after I booked my trip) and a room at the Astor Crowne Plaza. My Father was going on to visit family so he found a $580 o/w ticket on Alitalia with Cruise Air for a few weeks later.

The Oceanview Cabin was originally $749 and it dropped to $649 per person so when the fairy had me looking for price drops she really wanted me to get the best deal. Maybe the Upgrade Fairy will visit us next.

The fairy insisted that I stay a week in Rome so I listened to her.

The cruise fairy guided me to booking another cruise to relieve my post-cruise depression. Should she visit me again I shall listen to her.

Ha ha ha !! That's so funny !!

Send the fairy over to the UK to me (I'll let you have her back - promise)

Edited by ticktoneer

• 10 months later...

I struggle with depression and went on a cruise when it was at its worst.

It changed my life! I actually did not get post cruise depression first trip. I was just elated to be back in with the land of the living. Had no idea I could feel so alive again.

My 4th cruise is when it starting getting me. I started thinking... hmmmmmm... Happy on a cruise. Depressed not on one. There must be something to this.

Everyone is right.

Only one way to cure the post cruise blues :) Something about just putting the deposit down on a future cruise helps!!!

Just realized this is an older topic. Hopefully you have been out again since last Feb (:

Okay, one person mentioned it. So what? I have a DIL who is bi-polar and has depression episodes and I seriously know what it means. I don't use the word "depressed" because I know what it really means, but honestly, so what if someone mentioned it? Just because you don't think anything of it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. It can be a very big deal to someone who actually deals with it. It's okay for someone who experiences it to be slightly offended, just as others are offended by use of other words. I prefer to say I miss cruising, can't wait til my next, etc.

Edited by BND

That feeling hits me on that last night as I start to pack up...However small previews of it start sometimes as soon as you get onboard and there's talk of information about debarking...and those tidbits in the Cruise Compass and flyers left in your cabin...YIKES...I just got here :eek::eek:

I know how you feel. At least let me have a drink (or 12):D before you start giving me the "Debarking info."

"Here's your hat. What's your hurry?":)

• 1 year later...
We just got back last Saturday from a 7 day Eastern Carribean cruise on Oasis, and I am finding myself a little depressed to not still be on the ship. Is this a normal feeling?!? We had such an awesome time on that ship and had the BEST service from everyone we encountered the whole week.

This is only our second cruise (the first was last January on the Navigator with four other couples), but our first one alone as a couple, and we enjoyed both of them equally, but for different reasons. Now I think I need to round out my cruising experience by planning a new one, but with our mostly-grown children (ages 23, 20, 13) ... as they would have loved the amenities on the Oasis. Of course, I will probably opt for the Allure, so we have different shows.

Is this how everyone feels after coming off a cruise? It must be, since I see most people have a lot of cruises under their belt. I think I'm addicted now, too:)

My favorite cure for the post cruise blues? Write a trip report with plenty of pictures... it helps those of us who are still counting down the days too [emoji3]

Our normal vaction is a 5 day cruise with 3 to 4 nights hotel. I am never ready to leave the ship, but at the same time anxious to get back to my home and my dog. I always love walking through the house door and have that feeling of "home." The problem I have is that after being back a week or so, it feels like vacation was months ago. As many have said, the cure is to book the next cruise!!!