restaurant and mdr dress code

nursemommy7578

One guy in our cruise party was turned away on the Pearl last October for wearing dress shorts. I then asked the maitre d about why he couldn't wear dress shorts and some women a few tables away could be dressed like whores (short, short shorts, tank tops that showed too much of an extra large belly), and he could not answer. Think there's a bit of sexism in the dress code. My friend was dressed nicer than most of the people in the MDR - he just happened to have on shorts. But such is life...

One guy in our cruise party was turned away on the Pearl last October for wearing dress shorts. I then asked the maitre d about why he couldn't wear dress shorts and some women a few tables away could be dressed like whores (short, short shorts, tank tops that showed too much of an extra large belly), and he could not answer. Think there's a bit of sexism in the dress code. My friend was dressed nicer than most of the people in the MDR - he just happened to have on shorts. But such is life...

I assume you are talking about the aft MDR? The midship MDR is supposed to allow shorts.

Ladies are also allowed to wear tank tops in MDR but men are not - that's a rule I'm good with!

I assume you are talking about the aft MDR? The midship MDR is supposed to allow shorts.

Yes that's correct. I just find it odd of the differences between men and women... You can dress like trash if you're a woman, but not if you're a man. (And obviously I don't think every woman wearing a tank top is trashy...most are not, it all depends on how you wear it. The women I was talking about were classless in every sense of the word.)

Haven't cruised NCL since 08....no "formal" nights like other cruise lines?

I take it the "Dress up or Not Night" must be similar to other cruise lines "formal night"? How many people dress up? Do any men wear jackets, tuxes or suits? Is there a Captain's Party or repeat passenger party?

They call it Norweigian's Night Out now. On our NYE's cruise on the Gem I'd say about 3/4 of the passangers dressed formally for the holiday. 3/4 also dressed formally for "formal" night, although it was not necessarily the same folks.

On cruises out of NYC, I see larger #s of people who do dress up than on NCL ships that sail from other ports & are more casual.

DH & I love to dress up. He wears a jacket almost every night b/c that's his style. Freestyle means you can dress however you want & we chose to dress up; others chose to dress more casually. Nobody else's fashion should have a huge impact on your vacation.

They have a captain's party & several levels of repeat passanger parties.

They call it Norweigian's Night Out now. On our NYE's cruise on the Gem I'd say about 3/4 of the passangers dressed formally for the holiday. 3/4 also dressed formally for "formal" night, although it was not necessarily the same folks.

On cruises out of NYC, I see larger #s of people who do dress up than on NCL ships that sail from other ports & are more casual.

DH & I love to dress up. He wears a jacket almost every night b/c that's his style. Freestyle means you can dress however you want & we chose to dress up; others chose to dress more casually. Nobody else's fashion should have a huge impact on your vacation.

They have a captain's party & several levels of repeat passanger parties.

Thank you for your input.

We enjoy dressing up also. In fact, my husband actually likes to wear his tux!!

I agree, we don't let others dress impact our good time. However, if there was not dress up on NCL, we would be packing a little differently and the tux would stay home.

I am pleased to read that NCL does have a "night out" which gives those (like us) who enjoy dressing up, a chance to do so. We, too, try to dress nicely for dinner. No shorts or jeans for us.

Again, I appreciate your information and happy sailing!

Aft MDR on the Jewel for dinner, My DH was asked to please return with pants on. :eek: He was wearing shorts.;)

I also saw people refused service for same reason..I think it was on the Gem..but could have been Jewel...

Archived