Shuttle bus cost in NZ ports?

Dunedin - bus was around $10 return, from memory

Akaroa - no bus required

Wellington - no bus required, but they did run to/from the city for $3 one way. As often as not the bus drivers can't be bothered collecting the fee.

Napier - free buses provided

Tauranga - not sure (spent all day on a tour)

Auckland - no buses required

We were on Solstice and bought the shuttle in Dunedin as the ship docks at Port Chalmers, about 20 minutes away. The return bus ticket was $15 pp.

I am not sure if you are in Akaroa. If so, you would need either a ship excursion or private tour into Christchurch if you want to go there. I know French Connection does a shuttle when cruise ships are in ($45pp I think). If you are planning to stay around Akaroa and maybe take the swim with the dolphins or harbour cruise you will not need any transport as the ship's tenders come into the main jetty.

Wellington - as Vader111 says, but we bought a return ticket (though forget the price). Buses drop you off in the middle of town or near the cable car (you need to walk down the street and down another laneway to the station). It is a fair walk (a couple of kilometres) into the centre but we saw many people doing it.

In Tauranga we hired a car but you can walk into town easily. We dropped the car off and then had something to eat and walked back to the ship. Most people seemed to go on tours to Rotorua from there.

Archived