Are some shore excursion costs just a bit cheeky?

Eglesbrech

If it's tailored for cruise passengers it likely does, but when you are booking private tours they often do not cater to just cruise passengers. In both land and cruise vacations we have booked tours where there is a central meeting point, or possibly pick up at a few hotels and cruise passengers have made their own way to these locations.

Thats never been our experience in 10 cruises and God know how many different ports. We have always been met at the port. In fact you can book private tours that will be sure they pick you up at the dock and we've never had to share a tour with land though that would not be a problem. In fact many private tour companies specialize in cruise tours only. There is no need to book a private tour with a company that does land tours and requires you to meet at a given point. There are tons of operators who meet you at the port.

It really is a case-by-case thing. The last cruise I did, the ship was in port from 0800 to 1700. If the excursion ran (for instance) 1000 to 1400, I would be willing to take the risk of booking myself. If i was an all day thing, or entailed any hiking in the rainforest or something where there was a chance of getting lost, I would go through the ship.

I did an amazing excursion in Barbados, and in that case, we were met right off the ship. The owner of the boat told me the cruise lines charge 40%, and I would prefer my money go directly to the local economy.

Of course, I research the hell out of everything, and I see even the slightest hint of problems in terms of making the ship on time, getting lost, etc, I don't do it.

I found an excursion for our next cruise in St Thomas. It's a smallish sailboat, and they only take a minimum of 4, a max of 6 people. It's $400 for 4, $450 for 6. Exceptionally high trip advisor ratings, and it runs from 0900 to 1400. There are 4 or 5 of us (unsure of 5th) of us, so we basically have it to ourselves. You won't find that through the ship.

It really is a case-by-case thing. The last cruise I did, the ship was in port from 0800 to 1700. If the excursion ran (for instance) 1000 to 1400, I would be willing to take the risk of booking myself. If i was an all day thing, or entailed any hiking in the rainforest or something where there was a chance of getting lost, I would go through the ship.

I did an amazing excursion in Barbados, and in that case, we were met right off the ship. The owner of the boat told me the cruise lines charge 40%, and I would prefer my money go directly to the local economy.

Of course, I research the hell out of everything, and I see even the slightest hint of problems in terms of making the ship on time, getting lost, etc, I don't do it.

I found an excursion for our next cruise in St Thomas. It's a smallish sailboat, and they only take a minimum of 4, a max of 6 people. It's $400 for 4, $450 for 6. Exceptionally high trip advisor ratings, and it runs from 0900 to 1400. There are 4 or 5 of us (unsure of 5th) of us, so we basically have it to ourselves. You won't find that through the ship.

Trip advisor is a great source to check out tour operators. You are so correct in saying tours outside the ship are qualitatively so much better, more intimate and personalized.

We had private operators in Israel and though pricey, about $550.00 per day, the experience was priceless and private operators there are sort of like having a personal history teacher with you.

You could have gotten a private driver thru the ship (X Constellation) at a staggering $1400.00 per person per day:eek:

Archived