Will we be ok in an oceanview?

sunset785

We are looking at booking the Freedom of the Seas for March 2014. DH wants to do a balcony because we will be bringing our then 2 year old with us. I want to do an oceanview because it is an $800 difference. The thing is, our son goes to bed around 8 and we are worried we will be stuck in the dark while he is sleeping. I think we will be ok and will have a good time regardless. I always remind him when it was just the two of us, we always napped in the afternoon ourselves and went to bed fairly early because the sun wore us out. Anyways, I'm just looking for experiences and if an oceanview worked for you.

You'll be ok, but it wouldn't be my choice. Naps and early bedtime were lovely out on the balcony...sitting in the dark wouldn't have been half as fun. Our guy was a light sleeper, though so even turning on a light to read would wake him.

I would highly recommend the balcony. As you said you could very well be stuck in the dark all evening. The balconies are wonderful in the evening and you may find you also enjoy having breakfast out there Personally we always found ourselves enjoying a glass of wine in the afternoon. You won't always want to be out and about with loads of people, especially if your little one naps as he's likely to also get worn out. The cost seems high, but in my experience it has always been worth it.

Balcony is 100% worth the extra money!

It will be great for you after the baby goes to sleep.

In addition, it is really lovely to spend time out there when your baby needs to get some energy out & run around so you don't need to worry about them bothering others or getting into something.

I don't know if I would cruise without it now that I have done it.

It was also really lovely to rock my little one in the morning with his bottle while looking out at the ocean. One of my favorite memories.

I understand that $800 is A LOT of money but I truly believe you will be so much more comfortable and get so much more enjoyment out of this vacation if you opt for the Balcony. The cruise is a year away and it's possible that the price will drop. Book the balcony, and check the price as much as you can. If it drops before final payment call and ask for the difference back.

A balcony sounds wonderful, especially with a toddler, but everyone's budget is different -- $800 means a lot more to some people than others -- so you really have to decide if it's worth it to YOU, or if it puts your vacation over budget or prevents you from splurging on activities in the ports.

Will the oceanview have reading lights that wouldn't wake up your child? When my husband and I cruise with or without the kids, we wake up early, spend the day in the sun, and end up being sound asleep by ten p.m., and it sounds like you've had similar experiences before. You also have the option of taking turns going out to shows or whatever, while the other stays in with the toddler. This is what we did when our 4-year-old, who mostly stayed out past her bedtime, needed an early night. I was happy to read a book, and the small light by my bed did not bother her. You would also be surprised how many people we saw out with sleeping toddlers in their strollers. Even our 4-year-old managed to fall asleep a few times during the day while we were out, sitting on a bus or sitting in a booth in the buffet. :)

It does depend on YOUR budget. I did do a cruise when my youngest was 2 in an ocean view. And we have had a line of suites right after. Yes, of course, it is much easier in a balcony/suite because you head "outside". Did I survive our Oceanview when my youngest was 2 - yes, of course we did. And it allowed my budget to cruise a few more times because of it ;)

I agree with cruisinmama. We have stayed in oceanviews because I was paranoid and didn't want my kids to get out there. Having said that we are a family of 5 so we are limited on some ships. I worried about the same problem. Once the kids are asleep...I would turn on my bedside lamp and read. It was fine....don't worry and have fun!

My kids are 6, 4, and 2, and we travel a fair amount all in one hotel room.

We put kiddo to bed with the TV on. Sure it takes longer for kiddos to fall asleep. But that way, kiddo is used to the TV on, and it allows us to have some light and some entertainment.

We are looking at booking the Freedom of the Seas for March 2014. DH wants to do a balcony because we will be bringing our then 2 year old with us. I want to do an oceanview because it is an $800 difference. The thing is, our son goes to bed around 8 and we are worried we will be stuck in the dark while he is sleeping. I think we will be ok and will have a good time regardless. I always remind him when it was just the two of us, we always napped in the afternoon ourselves and went to bed fairly early because the sun wore us out. Anyways, I'm just looking for experiences and if an oceanview worked for you.

A couple years ago when we traveled with our then-14 month old (very light sleeper and used to her own room), my husband was able to fashion a curtain of sorts between our bed and her pack & play using some string and a dark queen-size sheet that we brought. We did this in a balcony room, but felt the same as you because the door opening would have woke her up, sometimes the wind going in and out can be quite strong. She slept with a white noise machine so we brought that and a fan. Anyway with the sheet, after she fell asleep we were able to put on a small light & read so it worked out. Also, even though she normally went to bed at 8, she stayed up later and did just fine being on "cruise time," attending shows and such until around 10.

I keep thinking I may need a balcony. But that is because I'm a single mom traveling with my 4 year old. I won't have a choice to trade off with anyone. Although I am traveling with my friend and her family, but they'll have their own 2 year old to be with. Hmm...balcony (while expensive) may be a good way to go...

Cruising with my kids, I was very worried that my industrious little one will chunk something over the balcony - like something important - and I had reason to worry since he was in a massive throw something stage and watch everyone make a fuss over it. We did do balconies a couple times, and yes it is nice to sit out there while kids nap and so on, but at the same time a window is hardly a deal breaker in my opinion and I would be less worried about my rascal throwing something important out of our cabin. He is better now about it - but he did go through a stage where chucking something over balcony railing or into water or whatever was a lot of fun for him and he was practically unstoppable.

I keep thinking I may need a balcony. But that is because I'm a single mom traveling with my 4 year old. I won't have a choice to trade off with anyone. Although I am traveling with my friend and her family, but they'll have their own 2 year old to be with. Hmm...balcony (while expensive) may be a good way to go...

As a fellow single mom, the single most scary moment I've had on a cruise was when my twins were two and we had our first balcony. There really was no way they could get the door open themselves, but I came out of the shower once and didn't see one of them. It was a terrifying few moments before I found her hiding in the closet. It's one of the only things I don't like about being on my own with the kids when we traveled and they were younger - not having anyone to keep an eye on them while I'm in the shower. We do occassionally get a balcony depending on the cost and itinerary, but not always. Thankfully, my girls can sleep with the lights and tv on, but even if not, I have my trusty Kindle to keep me company after they go to sleep.

Best,

Mia

As a fellow single mom' date=' the single most scary moment I've had on a cruise was when my twins were two and we had our first balcony. There really was no way they could get the door open themselves, but I came out of the shower once and didn't see one of them. It was a terrifying few moments before I found her hiding in the closet. It's one of the only things I don't like about being on my own with the kids when we traveled and they were younger - not having anyone to keep an eye on them while I'm in the shower. We do occassionally get a balcony depending on the cost and itinerary, but not always. Thankfully, my girls can sleep with the lights and tv on, but even if not, I have my trusty Kindle to keep me company after they go to sleep.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I completely agree with you with the whole fear factor and traveling alone and the shower. I've actually been pretty lucky to be able to have my parents with me when my little guy smashed his face between our connecting doors at Disney and we had to rush to the ER the first night of our vacation for stitches - when I was getting into the shower (UGH). He's the same - can sleep with TV on and I do also have my Kindle. I'll be good either way!!

I was afraid to go out on the ov balcony after my son fell asleep. Someone could enter cabin without my knowing or he could wake up frightened and I wouldn't hear it. The neighborhood balconies on allure and oasis were nice because as long as there was no show I could let the door open and be able to hear inside the room.

We booked an oceanview for our first cruise when our little boy was 18 months. It was wonderful the have the natural light (don't think I could do an interior without feeling like I need to run out and breathe). This time around, we booked a balcony. There are moments where I feel terrified he will climb on a chair, unlock 8 foot tall lock, get outside, climb on a chair and think it's a great idea to jump in the water for a swim. Obviously not likely... I think we will enjoy the additional square footage and air exchange when he's snoozing. Depends on your budget though :) Maybe a price drop between then and now?

Archived